Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. LJ Rime

Regular

It's the entertainment industry's responsibility to hold people within it accountable, not ours. At the very least, it shouldn't be ours. But that's not really how the world works right now. I understand if some can't separate art from reality. There's already too many people who get away with their shitty actions.

2. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I heard a little about that Parker issue the other day but first I've seen about the suicide. Terrible.

3. chris

Trusted Supporter

yeah, this is very disturbing and sad

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I am surprised that this information didn't come out closer to the record breaking deal he made at Sundance.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

We, as consumers, need to take responsibility with how we spend our money. We live in a capitalistic society in which industries run on money rather than morals, that's a pretty basic truth. Nothing happens if they keep making money

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Unfortunate need to bump this thread with all the horrible shit going on. There are a lot of artists out there with allegations that are "common knowledge" among niche circles (comedy being the one I'm referring to the most). What do we do with someone like CK? Wait until the exposé is released 20 years from now?

7. LJ Rime

Regular

Well, considering the snowball effect of what's going on now in Hollywood, it's probably important to keep the actions of someone like CK(Louis I presume?) in the spotlight. I'm not exactly sure what else to do. We're just a couple of folks on a forum. Any ideas?

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I suppose we need a rich, powerful, white celebrity to come forward with an allegation so it can be taken seriously.

The Hannibal/Cosby situation is a unique one. Hannibal Burress is not very well known, his statements were common knowledge and it was to a rather limited audience. I was at the show in which he said it, it wasn't meant to shock or expose or muckrake. The premise of the joke was literally "Hey everybody knows this happened why are we allowing this dude to continue what he's doing."

9. LJ Rime

Regular

Do you think what's happening in the higher positions of Hollywood will filter down to things like stand up comedy? People are so focused on these big name actors and producers right now. Will people turn their attention to someone not as high profile like Louis CK?

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'd argue he's pretty high profile

11. LJ Rime

Regular

I didn't say he wasn't.

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Louis CK is more of a household name than Weinstein

popdisaster00 likes this.
  13. LJ Rime

Regular

Not anymore. Which is kind of my point. Everyone is now focusing a lot on the higher positions of power within Hollywood. CK may have been more known to us, the public, before all this happened but I wouldn't have said he held more power than Weinstein. I don't know. I'm kind of worried CK is just gonna allow himself to disappear behind all this controversy. Ya know, let the public focus on other people instead of himself.

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah I'd assume the hope for him is that it all goes away; however, it's odd that he keeps addressing it in interviews and denying it flat out.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Woody Allen says he's sad for everyone in Weinstein scandal

Yet everyone continues to work with him

16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I love that she clarified that she didn't actually eat her shirt

Bloodsucker II and SpyKi like this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

jfc

18. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Kevin Spacey is another celeb who has had a lot of rumors surrounding him. most of what I've heard is speculation based off who he surrounds himself with but idk

20. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I have a friend who has stories.

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I mean it was an open enough secret to be a Family Guy joke

but being all "we kinda knew" when something like this doesn't feel helpful, like does that mean complicit I don't know

22. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I honestly had no clue there were any allegations against Kevin Spacey before tonight, this one is a huge bummer and I'm just hoping the momentum recent allegations means there are some actual repercussions now that they are coming to light (again?)

23. Kiana

Sometimes I feel reserved when I haven't heard a specific accusation and just whispers of things cause I never know where it stemmed from or if it's just rumors. But so far with past celebs the whispers have all turned out to be true so I guess I need to adjust to that perspective but it's so awful

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I get it, there are so many blind items , I feel like at this point if a guy is a creep it's true and if a woman is "crazy" or "rude" take it with a grain of salt

Kiana likes this.
  25. Kiana

Oh yeah it's def just the assaulting men who seem to turn out accurate. Pretty much every time I've heard whispers and friend of a friend stories something always comes out later. At this point I'm like jfc are there any male celebrities who aren't trash? Can men just not handle any power without abusing it? Feels rly discouraging. I mean men in general too but since the lens has been on more powerful Hollywood men lately. When celebs talk about not wanting their kids in the business I always thought it was cause they wanted them to have a normal life, but more and more I'm thinking it's because of things like this

Aregala and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.