Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Accountability in Entertainment • Page 177

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by OhTheWater, May 11, 2016.

1. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Yeah they’re not afraid they just don’t actually care

Anthony_ and ItsAndrew like this.
  2. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Victor Eremita likes this.
  3. Anthony_ Nov 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2020)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Not saying this isn't creepy/sus as hell but shouldn't the word "grooming" be reserved for scenarios where the person being groomed is underage?

yocoxy and stars143 like this.
  4. Honestly unsure how I feel about that. Adults can absolutely be groomed too, although it's different: it's about power imbalances. I'm unsure if there's a more appropriate term/if there's one we should use just for underage grooming.

5. Victor Eremita Nov 17, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 17, 2020)
    Victor Eremita

Grooming has never been reserved only for minors. It can occur in people of all ages, but age difference/fame and power are particular factors which is why this guy has shown a pattern of it at this point.

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I always thought “grooming” was when adults were getting “friendly” with underage persons so that they would be available as soon as the 18th birthday comes around.

Largely due to most viral “grooming” headlines typically dealing with an adult and someone underage.

Not sure if there’s an alternative term.

stars143 likes this.
  7. stars143

Trusted

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah this was my understanding of the term as well so forgive my ignorance. This is just the only way I've ever seen it used.

Appreciate the clarification.

9. In case this is helpful for anyone:

"Grooming is the predatory act of maneuvering another individual into a position that makes them more isolated, dependent, likely to trust, and more vulnerable to abusive behavior."

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Beyonce was also 19 when she and Jay-Z started dating, and he was in his 30s, and personally I always considered it grooming

incognitojones and Shakriel like this.
  12. I mean. Not much to be done about it now but you're not wrong. He was also already an incredibly powerful person in her industry.

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

fingers crossed

14. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

come thru @covid

soggytime, 333 GANG and smowashere like this.
  15. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Anybody watch the Showtime docu-series about The Comedy Store? For the most part it was interesting regarding the history of comedy but not only did they give Louis CK a voice, but they totally glossed over his serial public masturbation. He even told a story about some Greek guy approaching him and referred to him as a martyr for getting back into standup. Get the fuck out of here you weird creep.

bradsonemanband and xapplexpiex like this.
  16. fbrrocks

Trusted

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

dude publicly beat his wife and threatened to kill her. it's in their divorce proceedings, which are public record

I feel like he's well known as a scumbag

CarpetElf, ItsAndrew, mad and 4 others like this.
  18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Bill Murray def didn’t survive the childhood hero test

19. Victor Eremita

Did not know that about Bill Murray, what an awful person.

20. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

21. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

incognitojones likes this.
  22. Zilla Nov 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 24, 2020)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

This really sucks because I thought Minhaj was a really thoughtful, important voice and it turns out he wasn't walking the walk behind the scenes. Absolutely awful that his staff was treated that way.

I think the post makes one mistake of assuming a lot of people heard of women speaking up about Patriot Act's workplace and didn't say anything. I hadn't heard anything about it - like, nothing. Not saying I'm representative of everyone, but word just didn't get around, not even in this thread where we're pretty good about keeping up with things. I certainly hope people will know now.

23. Sums it up beautifully. This one stings and he needs to speak on this.

24. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

“This year of unprecedented challenges has impacted my life and perspective in ways I could never have imagined, and while developing and producing The Nevers has been a joyful experience, I realize that the level of commitment required moving forward, combined with the physical challenges of making such a huge show during a global pandemic, is more than I can handle without the work beginning to suffer. I am genuinely exhausted, and am stepping back to martial my energy towards my own life, which is also at the brink of exciting change. I am deeply proud of the work we have done; I’m grateful to all my extraordinary cast and collaborators, and to HBO for the opportunity to shape yet another strange world. The Nevers is a true labor of love, but after two plus years of labor, love is about all I have to offer. It will never fade.”
    what a douchey statement

25. Driving2theBusStation Nov 26, 2020
    (Last edited: Mar 3, 2021)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

It can definitely happen among adults which seems odd until you learn more about high functioning sociopaths. It's uncomfortable to think about, but everyone tends to be at the mercy of how well anyone else knows/wants to use psychology.