Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

ABBA Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Mar 14, 2016.

1. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Abba is one of the best groups to come out of the 70's. Pure pop bliss, they had an uncanny knack for being just infectiously catchy. There's so much that can be learned from their music, especially those melodies.

2. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

ABBA is a very transitional album. They were much less eclectic than on Waterloo and started to develop their signature sound, but the songwriting is pretty uneven. The two hits "Mamma Mia" and "S.O.S." are killers and "So Long" absolutely rips in that 50's way they moved away from. "Bang a Boomerang" sound great but is vapid and goofy lyrically. "I've Been Waiting for You" is nice and "Rock Me" gets up a good head of steam. The rest is pretty filler-y to me. Nothing bad, but nothing special either.

3. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

@cshadows2887 I really expected you to like ABBA more. I get why you don't, but I'm kind of surprised actually

4. cshadows2887

It's more that they just have much better in their catalog. I don't dislike it. It's on my "to buy" list now. But I think thusfar, I'd go:

ABBA: The Album > The Visitors > Arrival > Waterloo = Super Trooper > ABBA

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Abba was my favorite band when I was like 7. Still love a lot of their songs.

Anyone who hasn't seen the Abba Halloween episode of Community should absolutely watch that.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. George

Trusted Prestigious

Been neglecting this and the Elton John one a wee bit. Will definitely have a listen to whatever ABBA albums are on youtube tomorrow at work! I know half a dozen singles, and I've seen Mama Mia (which I thought was dire beyond belief), but I'm keen to hear an album! Will be interesting to see if their songwriting trumps their cheesiness.

Will report back tomorrow!

cshadows2887 likes this.
  7. Meerkat

@George Very excited to hear your thoughts

8. cshadows2887

You're going to have to embrace the cheese a bit, my friend, or this enterprise is doomed. Haha

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Lay All Your Love On Me and S.O.S. are both so emotional for me

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. George

Trusted Prestigious

Started with ABBA: The Album, as Chris recommended! A little glance at the tracklist beforehand, I could see that I knew a few of the songs, but some were definitely unknown.

It was okay, better than I expected to be honest! I'll admit to going into this with a wee bit of trepidation, I know their famous songs, and I don't find any of them particularly interesting as stand-alone songs, but maybe listening to a full album slightly won my over. It's pure naff at times, the lyrics to opening track, Eagle, remind me of really bad power metal ha, but I can get over that. Lyrics are right at the bottom when it comes to what I'm looking for in pop music!

It's quite bombastic and over-the-top, which I definitely anticipated beforehand, but the production is sharp, and the vocals are on point.

It's sort of hard evaluating an album with songs that you've heard a million times before, but never "in context", if that makes sense? So, I've obviously heard Take A Chance on Me or The Name of the Game a million times, but never in an album context. I think I might enjoy them more this way.

Ending with the three song musical bit is a little odd and kind of throws me off a bit. It doesn't feel like much of an album, but as a collection of songs, there are some definite highlights here! Definitely enjoyed this more than I though I would!

ChiliTacos likes this.
  11. Meerkat

I remember during press for Mamma Mia, Meryl Streep was talking about how she thought she only knew one or two ABBA songs and then when she was sent the music she realized just how many ABBA songs are actually popular and well known. I think a lot of people who think they haven't heard much ABBA have heard more than they realize

12. I was going to say that I didn't think I knew any ABBA songs, but I'm two tracks into The Album and already having "Oh that was ABBA!" moments.

Nick, Meerkat, St. Nate and 1 other person like this.
  13. cshadows2887

If you've lived on this planet without hearing "Dancing Queen" I will be legitimately shocked.

14. mad

I was right. Prestigious

My 2 year old cousin's favourite band is ABBA. It's pretty adorable to watch him dance to them and sing along.

Nick, Meerkat and cshadows2887 like this.
  15. I was a little skeptical going in, but The Album pretty much completely won me over by "Hole In Your Soul." Every song is so much fun and so easy to sing along to.

I've definitely heard "Dancing Queen" before, but I didn't recognize it as instantly as "Take a Chance On Me."

cshadows2887 likes this.
  16. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I always associated "Take a Chance On Me" with gambling ever since I was young. Something about that constant chant of "take a chance, take a chance, take a chance."

17. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

The little phone part in "Two For The Price of One" had me freaking out cause calls come through my computer here at work, so I got really really scared for a sec.

Really enjoying The Visitors so far. They're good at creating these little groove pockets throughout their songs.

18. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

I associate that song with The Office. I think Andy sings it to Angela when he's trying to ask her out.

19. cshadows2887

@St. Nate Like little Swedish devils on your shoulder.

Meerkat likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

I waffled back and forth a bunch on whether to choose The Album or The Visitors as the recommended listen.

First spin of The Visitors in a bit:

- The title track is really appealingly new wave. ABBA were never cool but they were good at finding contemporary details or sounds and using them to put a slight new texture onto what they did. Guitar is not at the forefront of this record, but that little descending turnaround lick in this song is tasty as fuck.

- "Head Over Heels" is mostly just a solid album track, but the tango vibe is a new trick for them and is executed in a very cool way.

- "When All Is Said and Done" is legitimately a perfect pop song. One of my favorites from the band and really from the era. Sonicaly it's absolutely immaculate. The harmonies are angelic, the production is clean and insanely detailed. And lyrically while it has a clunker line or two, it's actually pretty awesome as easily the most amicable and positive breakup song I've ever heard. The anti-Rumours, if you will. Not to mention, with it being their last album "Here's to us. One more toast, and then we'll pay the bill" is pretty heavy.

- "Soldiers" features some of Lasse Wellander's (an excellent and unsung guitarist they worked with for years) career-best work, imo. It's more interesting sonically than anything else, but has great atmosphere.

- "I Let the Music Speak" is awesome and ambitious. People who hate their more "musical theater" aspect might not like it, but it sounds like a robot Tchaikovsky wrote a musical about the Romanovs.

- "One of Us" is about as close to trademark classic ABBA sound on an album where they really grew and stretched. It's that mid-tempo, slightly melancholy ballad with a nice lilt to it and lovely chorus harmonies. Pretty much their stock-in-trade.

- "Two for the Price of One" is musically pretty wonderful. They lift a lot of nice touches from the soft-rock of the era, while keeping it a little off-kilter production wise like they always do. The lyric, while not bad, is a kind of weird satirical shaggy dog story about phone-order brides and a sad, lonely guy. It's a novelty, but it's kind of intriguing, too.

- "Slipping Through My Fingers" is probably my second favorite on the record. The details like how the arrangement simplifies for the chorus, the slide up to falsetto on "I try to". And the lyric is one of their best actually. Sad and sweet little song about watching your kids grow up.

- "Like an Angel Passing Through My Room" is just a simple, pretty little music box of a song. Lovely way to end a record.

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

FUCK I NEED TO DO THIS.

Meerkat and cshadows2887 like this.
  22. cshadows2887

Always interested in your take, my man. Join in.

23. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I found a random piece of paper in my desk today at work that had albums you recommended I listen to and The Album was on it, saw this thread, so I threw it on. Really loving it so far.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. cshadows2887

I do not remember when that was or what I would have recommended, but this makes me happy. Haha

25. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Here is a super blurry video of me and the biggest ABBA fan I know singing a bit of Mamma Mia.