Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties - Routine Maintenance (May 10, 2019) Album • Page 8

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Anthony_, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I liked this but haven't really come back to it at all

sonder likes this.
  2. siege102

This album is really one of the best of the year. Yeah, he doesn't always sing to the music or rhyme neatly, but he manages to make it so personal, you have to remind yourself it is fiction. The story is wonderful and the mix of horns makes the sound unique. The only skippable track is Bloodied Up, but if you are immersed in the story, it works. The last two songs are deeply introspective and sad but optimistic at the same time. Very catchy songs on the record too, and really good lyrics that stick with you. I love the stream of consciousness storytelling in song. It reminds me of Jack Kerouac if he made songs instead of novels.

danielm123 likes this.
  3. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

The last three tracks on this record form a little run that is just fucking perfect. So good.

danielm123 likes this.
  4. zacooper

Regular

Posting in case anyone is interested but starting to part with my massive record collection. This week I'm trying to sell off my Aaron West and The Wonder Years discog, got some rare ones in there. Listing here if anyone is interested.

bigmike likes this.
  5. sammyboy516

Trusted Prestigious

Rosa & Reseda is, like, ALMOST a great song. It needs one more chorus and a different ending line. It sounds so awkward...

Rosa's moving in with her boyfriend
    I'm going to drive up somewhere new
    When I desperately needed a friend
    Rosa was a friend

“Rosa, I had you” would have rhymed and sounded so much better lol

edit: the chorus could rhyme better too. “She waits tables on the weekdays, picks up any shift she can.” “Weekends” working with “can” seems like a no brainer.

Leftandleaving and Rowan5215 like this.
  6. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

lmao that last line always bothered the hell out of me too. "almost a great song" sums a lot of this album for me, though

7. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Actually went back to this record yesterday and it’s still incredibly underwhelming for me. Very disappointed.

airik625 likes this.
  8. AFoolsGlory

@MattW182 Supporter

Man, I didn't know this was a popular opinion. I absolutely love that song. Maybe it's a bit sad of me, but that last line always hits me so hard and I've definitely gotten a year in my eye listening to it. I don't know, maybe as a song with the structure and things you're right, but for me it's just perfect. The emotion of knowing what Aaron has been through, how he's been let down by everyone in his life, yet he stumbles upon a roommate and forms a meaningful relationship for the first time in months/years. The last line, even if it doesn't rhyme, it just really hits hard for me.

sonder, CoffeeEyes17 and danielm123 like this.
  9. danielm123

Trusted

Completely agree. Honestly, I think the line rhyming would take a lot of emotional weight out of the line. By the end of the song, and going into the next song, Aaron seems pretty much out of energy and a bit down (kind of a bittersweet reminiscing), as though that last line is all he can get out before tearing up. I've always thought it was perfect. And I really still love this entire album, not really sure why so many aren't into it

AFoolsGlory and sonder like this.
  10. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

Yeah I love this album. And also no offense cause you're entitled to your opinion but I'm not going to sit here and try to tell one of my favorite lyricists that he should change what he wants to write just because it doesn't rhyme. Not everything has to rhyme.

LosManosFuertes and danielm123 like this.
  11. boo7er

I think the choice of weekdays vs. weekends was intentional--the weekend shifts can be profitable, but the weekday shifts signify she's doing anything she can to make a few bucks. I also like the last line without the rhyming--he's just stating that he had Rosa as a friend with no strings attached. There was no love interest, he didn't need anything from her--just her friendship. I think Rosa & Reseda is an incredible song and I wouldn't change anything about the lyrics. Might be the AOTY for me.

LosManosFuertes likes this.
  12. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Shit, this is way better than I expected

Dave Diddy and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  13. btr

Trusted Supporter

14. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

They just posted the live version of Runnin’ Toward the Light and I felt it was exceptionally great.

Kelsey likes this.
  15. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I did not give this album the time it deserved. Stuck it on randomly just now whilst working and it's really, really growing on me.

danielm123 and AFoolsGlory like this.
  16. btr

Trusted Supporter

Live album is out now!

17. Rawrz

Regular

Live album is fantastic

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

As some (or maybe most) of you are aware, in the early days of quarantine, I wrote and recorded songs for strangers under my own name. I’d get to know them and try to write something that captured their lives and I’m gonna tell you more about that later, but as we’re approaching Valentine’s Day, I wanted to share this one with you because I got really attached to the story—two people who fell in love, first in the summer on train bridge, and then in the winter in an abandoned schoolhouse and finally at a place of their own with their daughter. It’s called “When I Face into the Wind.”

bigmike likes this.
  19. brad4846 Jun 29, 2022
    (Last edited: Jun 29, 2022)
    brad4846

Regular

Sorry to bump this thread.

but my friend has Covid and I’ve been exposed. Anyone want two free tickets to the Aaron West show tonight in Boston? It says 18+, but we’re just looking for a good home so they don’t go to waste

edit: seemingly claimed

20. This tour was really great. Awesome setlist, horn section, the band is the tightest they've ever been. If you're comfortable going to shows right now and like these records, don't miss it.

brad4846 likes this.
  21. btr

Trusted Supporter

Went last night and it was my 3rd AW20 show since 2015 and only the first time it was full band. Great 1.5 hour set

22. J12

Trusted Supporter

Went to the Boston show last night. Easily one of my favorite nights in a while. They sounded absolutely incredible and every member seemed to having the absolute best time. Dan's got one hell of a lineup.

23. CAC3

Dog

I love both records and all the other AW songs. I hope the band doesn't come to an end after the third installment/end of the trilogy.

troyplaysbass and JoshIsMediocre like this.
  24. JoshIsMediocre

The ocean's awesome, and for winners Supporter

bigmike and troyplaysbass like this.
  25. Really looking forward to the new record. I've kind of landed in a weird place with Routine Maintenance where I love the songs but think the mix is pretty bad, especially compared to the live album and the Bittersweet EP (still my favorite thing in the Aaron West catalogue).

JoshIsMediocre likes this.