Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Year After Reputation • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 13, 2018.

1. a year later, and i still can't stand this album... :tear:

gimme Fearless, Red, and 1989 all day every day.

2. It's super interesting to me that you'd enjoy 1989 but find this entire album bad - to each their own of course, but there are some serious sonic similarities on certain tracks. Just interesting!

3. "Getaway Car" is the only one I can immediately think of, and I do like that song.

4. Fair enough. It'll be wild to see which direction she goes in next.

I mean, I love Reputation but I'll still forever be sad for the way she ran from anything reminiscent of Red just because it didn't get that Grammy and some critics had the nerve to say it was inconsistent. If she went even a LITTLE back that direction (since I can't see a world where it'd be a lot), I wouldn't be upset.

Kiana and bradsonemanband like this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I could never put my finger on it. It appears she sees herself as a victim in the situation imo just given what she's said about it, but then put on this persona like she dgaf when she clearly does. And if it's a Blank Space sarcastic thing like that's fine I like sarcasm, but using it for an entire era is too much for me. Like a cheeky song acknowledging it like sure, but integrating the snake into everything was too much for me. Idk if I'm making any sense I'm having a trazodone hangover lmao. I'll just tl;dr and say the era didn't resonate with me except some songs like delicate and dress and it def didn't resonate with me like image wise which I guess doesn't rly matter in the long run but it was just going all in on a feud and controversy that is just so beaten into the ground and boring like glad she got it out of her system so we can move on

6. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Here’s an interesting question, since we’re talking about how much Taylor seems to care about the Grammys: does this album get an Album of the Year nomination? I’m really not sure.

7. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

As someone who hasn't listened to this album, and is largely indifferent to Taylor in general, I want to drop a note of appreciation for the piece and the discussion you're all having. It's nice reading your thoughts and opinions.

Semi on topic: I am very curious to see what she does with her "free agency," she could definitely be at the forefront of how artists control their art/direction.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  8. I have a feeling that if it does, it'll only be because of the numbers it did that first week and it probably won't win even if it does. The music industry (especially from the critical side) didn't know what to make of this album cycle and I can't see them rewarding that fully. Maybe I'll eat these words, but that's just where I see it at the moment.

At any rate, a giant part of me wishes she'd opted out and not submitted the album for consideration at all. (Even though the incredibly boring backlash there would've been "she didn't even compete because she knows she can't win" and Lorde knows Taylor Swift can't do anything right with some people.)

SEMUSIC likes this.
  9. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I think it might get nominated, but it won't win. It would definitely be interesting to see what the conversation around that is, since she did the bare minimum for promo and was basically MIA from the public for 2 years. She did just break that AMA record though, so maybe they'll look more at things like that when considering.

Fun fact, my boyfriend has an aunt in law who votes on the Grammy committee, but she's boring as fuck. I jokingly asked her about her opinion on Taylor vs Kendrick that year and she was like "ummm I only listen to the classical music stuff because that's real music" and I died inside a bit.

10. Based on who gets nominated every year, I get the distinct feeling most of the Grammy committee is along those lines.

Which is why I really wish Taylor would allow herself to not give a crap what they think, but... here we are.

11. Craig Manning

Yeah, it’s definirely not winning. I kind of don’t think it will get nominated, but who knows. I’m not sure what the supposed contenders are, other than really hoping they nominate Kacey.

12. What were the worst (or at least, most obvious) albums made by prominent male singers this year? Those would be my bet, and somehow Ed Sheeran will win despite not even putting out an album. With one female nomination just for optics.

Kiana likes this.
  13. Craig Manning

Apparently they're doing eight nominees for the big four categories this year? Not sure how I missed that news, but if that's the case, I would say Taylor's odds are a lot better.

14. Ah. Two women then, one might even be a woc if they're feeling frisky. Otherwise, my statement stands.

15. wrenleslie

This was a really good read, and one that resonated with a lot of my own feelings. It's been almost impossible for me to decide where Reputation falls in my personal ranking of her albums (though I think 1989 will probably always remain at #1) just because it is SO different, and yet somehow it's still a TS album through and through. Reading this helped me kind of sort through those opinions.

There are some letdowns for sure - I never really came around on LWYYMD, and I've probably listened to Gorgeous about 4 times in total. But the high points are so, so high, and really redeem it for me.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  16. wrenleslie

I think this is pretty apparent to most people who follow her or have even heard the entire album, but people who mostly know radio singles might have missed out on the sarcastic edge. Leading with LWYYMD served its purpose, but definitely pushed some people further away if they were already skeptical about her and the direction her sound is taking.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  17. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

#JusticeForTheAcousticDemoVersionOfGorgeous

Anna Acosta likes this.
  18. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Terrific writing -- this was a great read. And I still really like Reputation.

Mary V likes this.
  19. SEMUSIC

I have consistently listened to this record all year, I wasn't sure how to feel about it at first but it grew up on me quite quickly and honestly may be my favorite Taylor album, even if it isn't it is the one I have listened to most at this point.