Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Wrinkle in Time (Ava DuVernay, March 9, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 12, 2017.

2. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

So i haven’t read the book since i was a kid but thought the trailers looked awesome. I just got out of this and I’ didn’t dislike it, but I didn’t live it.

The visuals were absolutely incredible. The cinematography, effects...all that was excellent.

I didn’t like the kid playing Charles Wallace at all. Like someone said above, it was like young Sheldon. I liked Pine and Storm Reid. And i liked Oprah, Witherspoon and Kaling a lot.

I think what i disliked most were the needle drops. I was hoping this would be a Never Ending Story for a new generation and I think the needle drops ruined it being that. It could have used an awesome original score to lift it up to a better level. Anyways I’m happy that other people are loving it!

3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

What are needle drops

Is it the pop songs

4. Connor

Yeah

5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

fenway89 likes this.
  6. Okay. This wasn't great. It is far from perfect. I could probably find a criticism for every aspect of the movie. That being said, I loved it every bit as much as I had hoped to. With any adaptation, things get dropped, there's quite a bit less nuance in favor of universality and relatability (although my poetry professors would argue that the personal is the universal). There are also some signs of studio interference, of Disneyfication. The parts that I felt were undeniably DuVernay (as someone who hasn't seen anything else of hers...) were unapologetically positive, and, yeah, it's kind of in-your-face about the affirmations at some points, but the heart of this film is so big and so refreshingly sincere that I just can't help but be uplifted by it all. If you go in looking to tear it apart, you'll find plenty of things to say about it. But if you go in looking to be moved, you definitely will be.

I think there was some stuff in the promos that didn't make the theatrical cut. I'm hoping there'll be a director's cut (or at the very least deleted scenes) with the physical release. And then a fan cut of that without all the, what did you call them, needle drops.

fenway89, ChaseTx and Tim like this.
  7. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I’m sorry!! The quality of the series dips VERY quickly and the first book is mostly smart people explaining things to each other- not bad, just also not like...awe-inspiring to young Kayla. I was a Harry Potter/Narnia kid.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Probably pulling in around $35 million this weekend. Looks like it'll have around the same box office as Black Panther. Disney should have planned this a bit better. With a budget of around $105 million, it probably won't make back its money.

9. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Yikes, this was pretty bad, but can appreciate the message and hope it does/means something for kids. But there’s some genuinely creepy parts and now I want Ava to make a horror film.

10. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Seeing this tonight. Cautiously optimistic

11. michael_gatto

Trusted

Saw this last night and was not a fan. Message is good but a bit too heavy handed at times and the film just seems super rushed and underdeveloped. Also the kid that played Charles Wallace is not good, at all.

fenway89 likes this.
  12. Connor

The IMAX showing i went to on Friday night wasn’t even half full. Probably like a quarter full. It was weird

13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

It's a bad sign that even with moviepass... I'm unsure if I want to see this

14. Henry

Moderator Moderator

$33 million weekend. Disney was hoping for around $35.

Black Panther pulled in $41 million.

15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I saw it with MoviePass on Thursday night at 7:30pm, because Death Wish and Strangers were both sold out. There were like 6 people in the theater for Wrinkle in Time.

It was fine with MP, but I would never have seen it otherwise.

michael_gatto likes this.
  16. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

I saw it with my girlfriend. Some people clapped after and she's just like, "Why are people clapping? That was bad." I about died laughing. That said, I thought it was alright though I had absolutely no idea what was happening. I feel like the concepts explored can't be extrapolated upon properly in the medium.

fenway89 likes this.
  17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

18. Morrissey

Trusted

We used to judge movies whether or not to go to the theater or to wait until a home release. Is MoviePass a new middle rating

19. I mean, if you have a Moviepass, I think it's a question of whether to go right away or to wait a while then go. Theater experience is generally better than Netflix.

20. Connor

What i found annoying was the lack of explanation on how that kid knew who the interdemensional beings were and just like knew everything. Also it didn’t properly explain why Calvin was necessary at all.

21. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I will take Netflix over the 'theater experience' 10/10 times.

Jason Tate likes this.
  22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Nah I love going to the theater. It's the only time I can actually do nothing and watch a movie. Too distracted at home

And the moviepass barometer is pretty much ."do you feel like spending 3 hours of your day on this movie"

coleslawed and michael_gatto like this.
  23. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

24. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Finally saw this tonight. Waited to see it with my sister, who I expected to like it. She didn't.

I absolutely loved it. Give me Ava DuVernay's New Gods ASAP. She's the best.

25. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious