Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Wrinkle in Time (Ava DuVernay, March 9, 2018) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 12, 2017.

1. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I'm still excited to see this. I think people are forgetting that this book/series is really not that good to begin with, haha. You have to work with what you have. Regardless, I think it'll still be fun. I'll be very annoyed if it flops and Ava has trouble finding work, given how many male directors are allowed to do egregiously bad work and not face consequences (Book of Henry, anyone?)

2. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

I mean didn’t he lose Star Wars IX mostly because of that movie?

fenway89 likes this.
  3. personalmaps

And yet he still has the entire Jurassic Park series, which is a multi-million dollar franchise. Let me see a female director keep something like that after making a movie as bad as Henry.

4. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm glad to see women and POC making films but this just clearly just wasn't for me. It's visually stunning and has a good message but it's just so one note. I dunno, it just didn't engage me AT ALL. I'm not gonna shit on it though as it wasn't particularly "bad" and I really hope others who are excited for it enjoy it. But being a 34 year old white male who never read the book(s), I'm obviously not the target demographic.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I want to see it, still halfway through reading the book to my daughter but I won't see her for over a week after today (spring break is starting). I'm thinking about just taking her after school today and finishing the book later.

6. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He is making the new Jurassic World? I thought someone else was doing it. There goes any interest I had.

7. personalmaps

he is still listed as the writer for both upcoming sequels!! which is hilarious because the writing is the worst part of JW and based on the trailer for FK, it has NOT improved.

fenway89 likes this.
  8. ChaseTx

Different director but Trevorrow is a cowriter and executive producer

fenway89 likes this.
  9. ChaseTx

For what it's worth I thought JW was fun despite the characters being not good

suicidesaints likes this.
  10. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Well, that's really unfortunate that he is sticking around.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. 43% on RT and 3.4/10 on IMDb ahh I was so excited for this

fenway89 likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Well the imdb thing is probably alt right trolls haha

13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Metacritic has a score of 52. Most people commenting on facebook ads are not enthusiastic either.

fenway89 likes this.
  14. Either the majority of negative reviews are coming from the people who would be inclined to dislike it no matter what because they think its diversity is a detractor rather than a strength ( Oprah's ultra-PC ‘Wrinkle in Time’ stung with bad reviews as ‘cringeworthy’ $100M Disney movie could bomb, experts say --not a review, but highlights the viewpoint I'm talking about), or the film is just bad.

ScreenRant ( An Adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time Was Never Going to Work ) is more nuanced, saying the problem is in the director and the studio not seeing eye to eye.

fenway89 and CheapPop like this.
  15. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm sure there are trolls that are being overly critical because it's a "diversity" film, but there is probably also some fair criticism to be made about the film itself. Although it's definitely not that bad, especially for something that's meant for children.

fenway89 and CheapPop like this.
  16. fenway89 likes this.
  17. :sly:how dare you mess with my childhood in such a way

fenway89 likes this.
  18. I know he said he didn't know how to put anything into words but his subsequent attempt is quite embarrassing.

fenway89 likes this.
  19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I'll watch this on Disney's streaming service next year.

fenway89 likes this.
  20. 'A Wrinkle In Time' And The Burden Of Being First | HuffPost

It kind of seems like when it comes to criticism there's a group of people who believe that to be objective you have to remove yourself from the equation, to basically be white, because it's always been the norm.

21. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I often find the idea of a movie being "not for the critics" to be convenient and lame, but I think it's worth noting who this movie is resonating with. Still excited to see this.

Contender, ChaseTx and coleslawed like this.
  22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Now this is a win.

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I never read the book either, I wasn't sure if it would help or hurt my viewing, I actually asked Ava on Twitter which I never do but she was busy wasn't expecting an answer
    I was surprised to see Rowan Blanchard play the mean girl, but then it clicked and she had a nice arc and she has the look I kinda get it
    I of course loved Reese Witherspoon in this and Mindy Kaling quoting Outkast and doing a Chris Tucker impression
    I was surprised by how dark and scary this got, I would have gotten nightmares as a kid for sure
    I wonder what drew Ava to this, I imagine the whole everyone has their shit and demons and negative thoughts but you gotta persevere resonated with her
    only thing I didn't like is that at times Charles Wallace reminded me of Young Sheldon, and there was definitely a lot of times I was like what the hell is happening

fenway89 likes this.
  24. ChaseTx

I was really looking forward to this and I was a little underwhelmed... but still enjoyed it. I thought some of the characterization could've been better and the world building was a bit lacking. The cast was great though.

Mindy quoting Hamilton was my favorite part

fenway89 likes this.
  25. ChaseTx

I did not get a chance to talk to Aeryn about how she felt about it, which seems important