Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Wrinkle in Time (Ava DuVernay, March 9, 2018) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Tim, Jul 12, 2017.

1. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I really like DuVernay. Selma and Middle of Nowhere are very powerful films. But this kind of looks like shit. I’ll likely see it anyways, but my hopes are not high.

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

i'm assuming you have no nostalgic connection to the book then, right?

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

From what I've seen, all the negative reactions are from dudes

4. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

I don't think I've ever even heard of the book.

5. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

it’s the book i have the most good memories to that I ever read in school, read it in seventh grade. that’s pretty much why I’m interested here, hah.

coleslawed and Contender like this.
  6. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

I'm in the "non-book reader" side here and thinks this doesn't look super great. BUT it looks really interesting and I'll be there opening weekend to support Ava

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I'm surprised that people have started saying this didn't look good, now that the critical responses seems like it'll be mixed. I've enjoyed the positivity surrounding the film up until now.

To me, this has always looked absolutely delightful, and it still does.

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

This looks visually stunning , not sure about plot but that's not why I'm watching

9. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

this looks way brighter than the more rustic world i imagined while reading the book, but that’s my only complaint so far. still pretty excited for this.

10. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Contender and fenway89 like this.
  11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This had an embargo which only recently got lifted which... hm...

fenway89 likes this.
  12. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

13. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

its funny. i just saw a full length preview for this and thought "huh...i wonder if this is actually going to suck big time" , like tomorrowland

fenway89 likes this.
  14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I thought Tomorrowland was fine but forgettable

With Duvernay directing this has to be better

fenway89 likes this.
  15. Tim

There's approximately a 0% chance that an Ava DuVernay film is as bad as that ridiculous Schnepp post would want me to believe.

I'm gonna like this movie and not be able to talk about it with anyone, right? That's what it looks like right now.

iCarly Rae Jepsen and ChaseTx like this.
  16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, I didn't really like the film but it wasn't THAT awful

fenway89 likes this.
  17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I imagine I'll like it too

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

I also never read the book but I think people will at least enjoy the characterization of Meg in this at least

19. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

im basing all of this on the previews but what im gathering is that there isn't really that much emphasis on plot and story here...rather than just a lot of pretty shots. Like...is there any good substance or intriguing storyline in thsi thing?

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Just finished the book for the first time this morning. I have no idea how they have shaped this into the film - it seems like an impossibly hard task! But look forward to seeing how it goes.

fenway89 likes this.
  21. CheapPop

Regular

I saw an early screening of this earlier this week. Went in with mid level expectations, moslty because of the cast and Duvernay directing. The trailers didn't look that good but I went in still wanting to like this.

While the effects and some of the technical stuff are great, the plot is terrible. The dialogue is pretty bad as well. And a lot of the actors seem like they are sleepwalking through the movie.

Chris Pine does seem like he's trying but the lines they give him are very weak. Everyone else in the movie is either unlikeable(especially the kids), or just weird for the sake of being weird.

Now I get that this movie is written for kids, and in that aspect I think it works. Kids are probably gonna eat this up. But if you're over the age of 8, there's not much here to enjoy, at least in my opinion.

It's not terrible, and it's not the worst movie ever like some people are making it out to be, but it is pretty bad. And I expected more from this cast and Ava Duvernay.

Edit- l'lI also throw in that while I have heard of the book, I have never read it. I had only seen half of that real bad Disney channel adaption of this and yeah it was terrible.

22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Ava might be regretting not directing Black Panther over this.

Is this her first big blockbuster? Not a good way to start.

23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

That's what some reviews have pointed out. Trying to make a film out of this book was just a bad idea, especially for Ava being that it's her big shot at $100 million budget films.

24. Tim

If she's truly proud of her work on this project and didn't feel like she was the one to make Black Panther, I can't see her regretting this film. Especially since her good friend did Black Panther. It seems like the right people have been into Wrinkle in Time to make her proud.

I'm more worried about this being her Punisher: War Zone. Lexi Alexander stands by the film, and its found a strong fanbase, but it hurt her career because only mediocre white dudes are allowed to make films that don't succeed and immediately rebound. I could see the same happening here if Wrinkle doesn't perform well.

Though, I'm still hoping this makes some decent money in spite of the mixed critical response.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. jjnunn118 Mar 8, 2018
    (Last edited: Mar 8, 2018)
    jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

So I went in expecting to not like this all that much, and I have a number of issues with it. the movie would be exponentially better if Calvin just didn't exist, the plot was very stilted, Storm Reid was good but the other 2 kids just weren't great actors
    That being said I loved it! It made me very emotional and filled me with joy! Honestly might go see it again soon, just a truly delightful film! There are so many just little moments in this film that keep popping in my head and it's beautiful!

ChaseTx and coleslawed like this.