Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Thread for Marketers • Page 3

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by EntryLevelDave, May 3, 2016.

1. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Gotcha. Wanted to offer something more than just "I think it looks good!" :P

Sorry! I'm in SEO/content marketing, so that's the angle I tend to view things at, haha.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Yeah I basically know nothing about it, and everytime I read something about it, it all seems very vague. Any tips and tricks are welcome, haha.

3. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

google is apparently rewarding AMP these days, so check out how compatible (ugh...optimized) you are for mobile + how fast your pages load

4. The Lucky Moose

It's a SquareSpace website so the mobile stuff is great, thank God. Thanks though!

BirdPerson likes this.
  5. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

The word incrementality makes me cringe

The Lucky Moose and BirdPerson like this.
  6. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

So I work in banking (money laundering investigator) and am bored to death after 4 years.

I've been looking into marketing and thinking of going back to school for it. reading through this thread kinda sorta scares me though lol

7. MidDave

Lol i find my job very fun, it's just also very easy to make fun of sometimes.

8. MidDave

Hey @The Lucky Moose - I know 1520 is new, but have you guys done any of this yet? I'm just looking at your site now, and it looks great, but my suggestion would just to be have some sort of proof of expertise section. We've done x, you get y etc. If you have this, and i missed it I apologize.

9. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I think it comes down to selling something you're interested in. I'd rather be unemployed than continue at the last job I had...now I'm doing an internship with a cannabis company and they are paying me to write about weed. It's very low pay...very low...but I love it so I'm paying my dues.

My phone wanted to autocorrect to dudes. Heh paying your dudes

10. MidDave

Same. I went from an agency focusing on mom and pop shops to working for the largest hockey retailer in the country. It makes everything that seemed like a grind before infinitely more exciting.

P.S. Shameless Plug, anyone want some hockey gear? lol

BirdPerson likes this.
  11. The Lucky Moose

We have done some stuff but the problem is a lot of these hospitality people - the industry we work in the most - are kind of a pain in the ass when it comes to getting permission to share anything lmao. We're looking into it though. Thanks!

12. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Oh! "Evangelists" is another terrible word

13. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

haha well thats pretty much the same for me, so maybe it'll work out.

14. MidDave

Every second my consultant speaks, i die a little more inside. I think Today's call killed my kidneys.

15. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

tell us more

16. The Lucky Moose

This around the way girl I used to go to high school with just added me on LinkedIn and she went full consultant. Like, I'm technically a consultant, but I'll never level up like that.

17. MidDave

So my company grew 1000 times faster than our marketing department did. So when they hired me and the rest of the department, they also brought in two consultants to help build the department. And, well, they drive me loopy. Constantly changing their mind on goals. One of them in the span of 4 hours told me "i looked at the results, and it looks like we're heading backwards..." "great job! the results look super strong" and "double check analytics because we need to find every sale possible to make these campaigns look strong" - all about the same thing.

18. The Lucky Moose

19. The Lucky Moose

I'm so tired of this corny ass style of social media marketing that companies like Wendy's are into. It's so incredibly played out.

20. MidDave

Yeeah the “we’re so edgy” thing doesn’t do anything for me really. Then again, not much brand social does do it for me. Red Bull is great though.

21. The Lucky Moose

I'm at the point where I think that a lot of businesses don't actually need social media except for running ads maybe, and those that do need it should keep it simple

22. MidDave

I think WWE is actually a good example of social done well. They use it as a necessary aspect of their product. Storylines get advanced through it, background information is used, devourable content through and through for their fans. Not a perfect use case for everyone, but they're def one of the companies at the forefront of it.

23. The Lucky Moose

Yeah some regular TV shows do that too, that's perfectly valid imo

24. MidDave

I'm looking through Coke's Twitter right now. It's so bad. Just bland meaningless things I could see just as likely on tv. Also there is no reason for every single identity they have to have their own profiles. Coca-Cola vs. Coca-Cola Co vs. etc etc etc

25. MidDave

My company stumbled onto a crazy hero product last year, and now anytime we get it in stock, I send out one email about it and it's gone. It's wild. We put so much effort into everything we do, and then this thing comes along and just smokes it all lol.