Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Teacher (FX) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by trevorshmevor, Nov 8, 2020.

1. CF69CD93-F158-4043-A2D9-10053316A257.jpeg

This is a 10 episode miniseries based on the 2013 film of the same name, both of which are directed by Hannah Fidell. Premieres on November 10th, and stars Kate Mara, Nick Robinson, and Ashley Zukerman.

2. trevorshmevor Nov 10, 2020
    (Last edited: Nov 18, 2020)
    Looks like three episodes were released at once, and the remaining seven will be weekly. Fired it up and at only 20-25 minutes each they were easy to blow through. For the subject matter making it kind of a tough watch, they do a great job of making it... welcoming? Was expecting it to be a lot more bleak, but the aesthetic and color palettes are very rich and cozy, and the soundtrack is actually pretty spirited

3. This week’s was solid. They’re really wasting no time letting the wheels fall off. I appreciate that three people in Eric’s life caught onto his lies immediately and called him out on it instead of brushing it off

Orla likes this.
  4. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

Still not sure if I’m going to give this a shot. A critic I like said that it’s better when you can watch the whole story at your own pace so if anything I’ll wait for all the episodes to be available

5. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So is this just on Hulu and not on actual FX?

6. Not totally sure how that works since I don’t have live TV. I know it’s among a few shows I’ve seen advertised as “FX on Hulu” but I mostly thought that was part of Hulu’s marketing campaign on partnering with FX and not actually an exclusivity thing

7. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Same. This is the first FX show (that I know of) that is exclusively on Hulu and not on normal FX.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Devs was the same, i believe. Mrs. America too. There are a few.

9. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

These episodes are short AF

Orla and trevorshmevor like this.
  10. I know there’s obviously multiple things wrong with this relationship besides Eric being underage, but it did surprise me to see him turn 18 this early on, let alone in the show at all

11. also uhh, I did NOT expect for something that dumb to be the way this all blows up in their faces lol. My mouth was agape for like 45 seconds, followed by a biiiiiig “wtf”

Orla and mike1885 like this.
  12. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Agreed, the way that last scene in episode 5 played out really caught me off guard too.

Not sure how it’d be possible for Kate Mara’s character to un-ring that bell, or what she’ll do if she can’t, but either way, I’m not holding my breath for something clever.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  13. Man these episodes really do just fly by. This one in particular felt super short. It wasn’t my favorite of the bunch. Everything just fell apart so suddenly last week that I’m gonna have to get settled in to this probably being the tone for the remaining 4 episodes.

14. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

This was an especially difficult episode to watch, given we’re only beginning to see how heavily Eric’s been affected by everything. Also the position Claire’s husband is put in.

Credit to Gillian Robespierre‘s direction and Kate Mara’s acting. The portrayal of Claire shows a predator feeing the consequences of her decisions in a fathomably human way, but also makes it clear to not paint her as deserving of sympathy. I’d image that’s a tough nuance to capture in a TV show.

phaynes12 and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. phaynes12

yeah pretty great ep

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watched the first ep. It was ok. That car scene with the discussion about teachers listening to music was a little cliche, but interested to see how it goes

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Climax!

phaynes12 likes this.
  18. phaynes12

how far did you get

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

phaynes12 likes this.
  20. phaynes12

so i’m assuming you started to like it more?

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Not really!

22. phaynes12

lol

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It’s okay

24. Should’ve seen the time jump coming with how quickly this all progressed, but it still caught me by surprise. Good episode though, a little repetitive, but I like that each time Claire was brought up it was by a different party and acknowledged in a slightly different way

Orla likes this.
  25. Last night was probably my favorite of the show so far

Orla likes this.