Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Star Is Born (Bradley Cooper, October 5, 2018) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

honestly my biggest critique still one day later is the dude who played Ally's manager fuckin blew lol

every scene he was in he was just so out of his depth

jkauf and jordalsh like this.
  2. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Yeah, this was really great. Cooper and Gaga are both at the top of their game, and I'm guessing Gaga's going to win Best Actress at the Oscars this year. I'm calling it now. The direction too is really excellent - I was shocked to learn this is Cooper's first time behind the camera, because he really knocked it out of the park. The cinematography is all-around great - any performance scene, especially, was well done in that department. There's also a lot of solid side performances too - Sam Elliot and Dave Chappelle are good for the small parts they have, as was Anthony Ramos and all of the performers at the drag bar.

Only thing I'd say is the last third doesn't have the same flow was the first two, and it kind of drags the pace down a bit, which is kind of a difficult thing to critique, as all of the conflict in the film happens in the last third of the film. However, the ending scene is what really sold me - I won't spoil what happens, but just in case there's a cut during a big scene back to a smaller moment that's really effective and left me on such a great note leaving the theater.
    Yeah, this was really good though. I gave it a 4/5 on Letterboxd, but there were moments where I flirted with giving it a 4.5.

jkauf likes this.
  3. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Seeing this tomorrow night with a live Q&A with Bradley Cooper & Dave Chapelle. Can’t wait!!

4. primavera

big baller brand Supporter

very happy to see my father sam elliott in a film this evening!!’

5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

My biggest complaint too.

Aregala likes this.
  6. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I am not a Bradley Cooper fan in the slightest, and the trailer didn't interest me at all, but with the glowing reviews, I guess I'm gonna have to go see this after all.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

The Shallow is going to be the karaoke duet song for all eternity huh

8. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Shallow isn’t even the film’s best song.

beachdude and TJ Wells like this.
  9. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

There was an acapella group before my screening of this that performed Shallow twice

10. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m sorry.

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the fact that they also got an entire row of the theater reserved for themselves. They're why I had to go all the way to the back

12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

For real, though, there are parts of this film I keep thinking about that are getting me really emotional. Know it’ll probably wreck me, but can’t wait to see it again.

stayillogical likes this.
  13. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Movies so fucking good, I gotta see this again

jkauf likes this.
  14. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Also, extra points for the doodle.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  15. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

The shot of the doodle outside the garage wrecked me

Jake Gyllenhaal and jkauf like this.
  16. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Me too. Probably because I have one. Probably because there was a lot of Jackson I related to. Fuck.

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  17. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That scene where he apologizes when she visits him in rehab. Goddamn.

18. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Okay, so during that scene, someone in my theater dropped a full box of candy on the ground and I almost burst out laughing, so just for that, I might see it again.

19. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Wow, second worst timing possible, would’ve been pissed.

Mrplum5089 and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  20. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Seriously. How is anyone downplaying his performance? I gave myself a headache trying to fight the tears, still ended up sobbing for that last 1/4 of the movie.

Jake Gyllenhaal, Mrplum5089 and jkauf like this.
  21. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

That and his last convo with his brother.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

also his guitar playing was incredible, like I got chills during the Pretty Woman scene for a bunch of reasons but also his solo

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  23. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Yes, exactly. Those two moments I keep thinking about. He deserves recognition too. DAMN. This is so tough. I think TJ might be right with his prediction, this could win the big five. But I want Sam Elliot too for supporting actor! It can't win all the awards.

jkauf likes this.
  24. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

I’m taking that back. No way this wins screenplay.

jkauf likes this.
  25. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

adapted screenplay might be this, that new Luca movie, beautiful boy and boy erased