Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Simple Favor (Paul Feig, September 14, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 27, 2018.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Apr 27, 2018
    (Last edited: May 2, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

also starring Henry Golding, Andrew Rannells, Linda Cardellini, Jean Smart, and Rupert Friend.

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

3. I'm in on this. Three people I like doing a movie.

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Anna and Blake? Sold.

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Sure, what could go wrong

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

okay!

7. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Somehow missed anything about this movie until I saw this thread. So hype

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

9. Makoto

Monafide bonafide

Well Paul Feig is involved first of all

10. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

13. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

As it turns out, very little!

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Seriously this was pretty damn enjoyable. Only issue I have right away is that the darker aspects of the film don't quite mesh with everything else. Kendrick and Lively are also pretty fun together, while Golding is okay. Feig definitely surprised me overall

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. meggers

Trusted

This isn’t my type of movie but I loved it. The ending to me was so great. I loved the bit of comedy throughout the movie so it wasn’t too dark. When I was leaving the theater someone called it the lite version of Gone Girl.

JRGComedy likes this.
  16. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I've heard a lot of comparisons to Gone Girl accompanied by things like "goofy" "ridiculous" "absurd" and "fun" and honestly that has me pretty excited

17. meggers

Trusted

Honestly, it’s a great movie imo. I’m not much into suspense movies but this one kept me guessing till the end.

18. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This was a blast. Thank god Feig was the one to adapt this. I can’t even imagine how bad this would have been with a director who tried to play it straight.

Disappointed it broke the string of Zach Woods cameos tho.

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This was terrific, solid mix of noir and comedy (particularly Kendrick) with so many twists without getting hacky. My first thought when they found a body was that Emily had a twin

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen Sep 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2018)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

of course I'm gonna love a movie where Anna Kendrick sings Mambo No 5
    Anna was perfectly cast as Stephanie, she got to pretty much play a theater kid it's perfect, I loved that her last name was Smothers
    Blake was great as Emily
    Henry Golding sure didn't look like any liberal arts college professor I've ever seen, I think those might have been his real tattoos, I wish his character was more developed though
    Andrew Rannells was great too but wanted more of him
    didn't recognize Linda Cardellini, I loved that scene, only Paul Feig would make a movie with a Mapplethorpe reference
    I'm not sure the whole brotherfucker thing worked thematically or really added anything to the story, Emily yelling it at the motel was hilarious though

I didn't think that body looked like Emily

it definitely went the Gillian Flynn route of women are crazy and men are too dumb and horny to notice , Sean even says that Emily is gaslighting Stephanie

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Pretty happy I didn't watch any trailers and went in as blind as I could because reading "from the darker side of Paul Feig" might've readjusted my expectations

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  22. jkauf Sep 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 15, 2018)
    jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Pretty let down, but points for the Diabolique reference.

23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Surprised this doubled what White Boy Rick did at the box office, when I saw wayyyy more ads for WBR.

24. This was like a Lifetime movie with a bigger budget. Haha. I liked it a lot.

25. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This movie was insane, and the switches between comedy and suspense were very jarring, but it was very enjoyable. Can we please put Andrew Rannells in everything from now on?