Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) TV Show • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by 5Stories, Jan 10, 2017.

1. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Enjoyed this a lot but the pacing was all over the place. Doesn't help that the first few books are so repetitive.

sophos34 likes this.
  2. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

had a blast with this, loved it

sophos34 likes this.
  3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah I think next season should be a big step up since the next books were the best

4. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I've really enjoyed the first three episodes. Excellent in fact.

5. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Miserable Mill was my least favorite book, but even the show made it somewhat enjoyable. I can't wait for the second season.

ECV likes this.
  6. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

5 through 8 are my favorites so I'm super excited.

7. JM95

Trusted

Yeah I always felt the middle books were the strongest and most absorbing. I think Austere Academy's probably my favourite, although I haven't read the books in a long time.

Anyway, I finished the series yesterday. Very enjoyable. A definite shift in tone from the books but I think it works really well given the format. I do wish it was a little darker at times - small things in the books like the fact that you never know how Count Olaf keeps finding the Baudelaires made him a little more intimidating and at times I'd have liked more of that darker, sinister tone with this series. As I say though, I think the approach they went with came cross well.

Nice to see Catherine O'Hara, who was Justice Strauss in the film, playing Dr Orwell in this. Thought she was very good.

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. Austere Academy, Ersatz Elevator, Hostile Hospital, and Vile Village were probably my favorite books in the series so next season should be great. I'm really interested in seeing how they end the series eventually as well, they've done a great job of introducing some of the end game ideas in the early episodes.

9. Just finished. So good.

10. Books 5-7 are some of my favorites, then the last two. 9 was my least favorite

11. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Halfway through this. There are things I like about it but the pacing is sooooooooooooo slow and self-indulgent. There is no reason to split each of these books into two episodes. You could easily cover everything in these early books in 60 - maybe 90 - minute episodes.

Also - and I get the feeling this is going to be really unpopular - but I think the child actors are terrible. I rewatched the movie several months ago and thought the child actors were pretty flat in that, but this is on a whole other level.

On the other hand, the adult casting has been pretty much spot-on. I still give Jim Carey's Olaf a slight edge, but NPH actually does give him a run for his money, which I didn't expect. Henchmen are all really funny, especially the Hook-Handed Man. Really like the actress who plays Jacqueline. But the biggest surprise for me has been Patrick Warbuton! I really wasn't convinced that the voice of Joe Swanson was going to translate to the British Snicket-voice I heard in my head, but his line readings are perfect! Easily my favorite part of the show.

Also, I'm kinda concerned with how willy nilly they're being with the VFD stuff and already establishing that their parent are alive. I really liked the slow burn reveal of the conspiracy in the books, but it also feels like they're setting themselves up for definite answers here, when one of the ideas I liked so much about the last book (if not the execution) is that life is a mystery and no one can every truly see the big picture.
    Still, cautiously optimistic for future seasons. Really excited to see how they're going to visualize The Vile Village.

5Stories likes this.
  12. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Anthony_, ECV and Joe4th like this.
  13. Schooner

Trusted

Haha yes!!! I rewatched the movie yesterday and I was "OMG the Kevin McCalister mum plays to different roles in each of the adaptations!!" Very cool!
    I laughed so much at Jim Carrey yesterday

But I'm coming around to the fact that the series works so much better in tv series format than film even though I enjoy the film. The pacing and ability to tell this story works better in these chapters.

Anthony_ likes this.
  14. JM95

Trusted

That's totally how I refer to her as well:-)

On Jim Carrey, I love this costume test for Stefano. Quite a lot of it ended up being worked into the film as well.

angel paste and Schooner like this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I heard they throw a Murakami quote in here which makes my heart smile.

ChaseTx likes this.
  16. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Re-reading the series currently and I'm on The Austere Acadmey. Trying to decide who would be a good Vice Principal Nero. Was thinking maybe Stephen Tobolowsky?

Also wondering how they're going to keep Coach Genghis from being problematic.

17. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Finished this the other night. Now I need to finally get around to the books

18. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I really enjoyed this and am excited for the rest of the series. I always enjoyed the movie, and never got around to the books, might be time I read them.

19. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

curious as to why NPH sings the credits/theme song, when Warburton came out singing at the end with that beautiful voice.

20. Anthony_ Feb 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Feb 5, 2017)
    Anthony_

Probably because NPH is known as a huge lover of musical theater and is known to have a great singing voice. Plus he's arguably the biggest star on the show playing the most iconic character in the series.

21. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

it just seems to me that the song is from Lemony's point of view, so why is it being sung by Olaf? I had assumed NPH was singing because Warburton didn't have as great of a singing voice, but I really enjoyed his verses during the finale's song. that's really my only nitpicking with the show.

22. Anthony_ Feb 5, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 9, 2017)
    Anthony_

Yeah I don't know that’s necessarily supposed to be from Snicket's point of view. I think you're reading more into it than is there. It's just a theme song sung by the best/best-known actor/singer in the cast.

23. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Also more than likely boils down to the fact that NPH is a producer on the show and wanted to sing it.

24. Watched the first episode lastnight and really enjoyed it. I'll need to keep up the momentum and watch some more or else I'll probably not get around to ever finishing the series. I'm terrible with losing steam on shows.

25. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

This has been renewed for seasons 2 and 3