Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) TV Show • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by 5Stories, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Dodge725

Trusted

Episode 1 was ok. The early books are not as interesting because they don't get too into the conspiracies until later on but the show has a lot of really fun nods to them so that makes me excited to see where it goes. I really hope they change the ending of the books because I thought the last one sucked hard but that's a few seasons away. The best part by far is Warburton as Snicket and I'm intrigued enough by the overall story to keep watching even if the immediate stories aren't as good.

2. Laughed at (potential book spoiler) "neither the official fire department, nor the Volunteer Fire Department" in the first ep

3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I remember The Vile Village and The Penultimate Peril being my favorite books in the series

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

My perspective: I read books 1-12 years ago but for some reason never read the last one. I loved them, though. I feel like I owe a lot of my current sense of humor to these books, because they were really my (and I'm sure a lot of others' as well) first introduction to this darker type of humor. As for the film, I generally had fun with it back in the day but I haven't seen it since it came out. Jim Carrey was pretty much perfect in the role of Olaf, but the film was such a rushed, overstuffed affair that it was nowhere near as good as it could have been, even with the all-star cast it had (Meryl Streep, Catherine O'Hara, Timothy Spall, Billy Connolly, Jude Law).

As for this, I watched the first two episodes. NPH is really good in the role, and I enjoy his performance a lot, but he doesn't get quite as menacing as I always pictured Olaf to be. He's just a little too NPH-y still. I think the kids are great, though. Honestly there have been so many amazing child actors popping up in film and television these days, I feel like the days of "Ugh, not a little kid" are over. They also really nailed the right look and tone for the show (Sunny cartoonishly carving a rock with her teeth in a beaver-esque fashion notwithstanding). I'm re-reading the books as well (and am going to finally finish the last one) so it's all relatively fresh in my mind. Happy this got made and that they're going to do the whole series.

I also wondered how they're going to split it up. Season 1 = 1-4, Season 2 = 5-8, Season 3 = 9-13? Maybe the last season will be 10 episodes instead of 8? But then I also feel like some of the longer books might need three episodes, especially towards the end with books 9-13. So I don't know exactly what their plan is. They definitely only need 3-4 seasons to tell the whole story. Also they had better get on that before the kids playing Violet and Klaus get too old-looking.

Schooner likes this.
  5. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

I read these as a kid and loved them but I forget a lot of the major plot points or how the series actually concluded. Just watched the first two episodes and thought it was pretty good. Will continue.

There was also a sugar bowl reference when Olaf said "I can't seem to find the sugar bowl". Though I don't actually remember the significance of it, just that it was a thing in the books.

6. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Also seeing Colbie and Will Arnett was a treat.

Oskarr likes this.
  7. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Only got through the first episode but it was just as weird and funny as I'd hoped

8. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

On episode 3. I'm loving it so far after the slow 1st episode. Also enjoying catching all the V.F.D. references throughout. I haven't read the books in years but this is really good.

9. Dodge725

Trusted

Finished up through episode 6 and this is great. The first 2 episodes are not the best but after that it's excellent. The choice to add more of the secret society/VFD stuff much earlier than the books makes it so much more intriguing and NPH gets much better when he starts being characters and not just normal Olaf. They do a really good job of tackling a lot of more difficult issues like death/fear/new environments in a way that would be excellent for kids. This screams the sort of thing some of my teachers would turn on as a prize/movie day.

5Stories likes this.
  10. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

5Stories likes this.
  11. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

As someone who hasn't read the books, episode 7 just threw me way off.

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

I just finished the second episode and I'm loving it so this is exciting to hear

13. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Just watched the first episode and enjoyed it a lot. They definitely seem to have the feel of the books down.

14. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

two episodes in, this is perfect so far

fenway89 likes this.
  15. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I enjoyed the first episode, though I agree it was a bit slow. My daughter liked it too

I didn't know about the books until college, so I read at least the first one, maybe the second and third. I bought a few and never got to them

16. shouts23

Hi, I'm Negan ;)

Damn already? Might come out this year then (season 2). I think they were looking at 3 seasons total.

17. Anthony_

That's good news because they need to hurry this up before the kids get too old. Hopefully doing an extra two episodes in season 2 for book nine means the final season will have more episodes for the longer books.

18. Anthony_

As I'm slowly working my way back through these books also when I get a chance, it's really remarkable how Handler is able to demonstrate something of a Pixar-esque knack for making entertainment for all ages, rather than just for kids. And the show is really the same, which is great. Probably because Handler was and remains heavily involved in the writing process. Glad that he's seeing so much success ten years after The End was published.

19. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Just finished. Thought it was great. The casting for everyone was spot on. I love the movie portrayals (Jude Law, Meryl Streep) but I think the performances they went with here fit the format of a long form TV show much better than those kind of representations would have. I thought the tone was balanced really well overall. Just quirky enough. Some of the music choices pushed things a bit too far on the whimsical side, but the Snicket stuff was so good, and there was some genuinely unsettling imagery. Looking forward to next season hard

ECV likes this.
  20. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Sunny is the best character.

JM95 likes this.
  21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Now on episode five, every one gets better than the last. The atmosphere of the books is nailed perfectly and the acting is phenomenal

Joe4th, ECV and dylan like this.
  22. loudasallgetout

Trusted Supporter

Personally thought ep. 7 was the dullest so far. That being said I've been really impressed by Malina Weissman as Violet. She's wonderful. Who ever plays Klaus is kind of annoying. And I just want to punch Mr Poe, but I guess that means he's doing a good job.

Schooner and sophos34 like this.
  23. Loved this so much. Thought the end of the last episode was so perfect and I can't wait for season 2, the books get a lot better after The Miserable Mill. Didn't know how to feel about NPH after the first episode, but he really grew on me and I think he absolutely nailed Olaf in this.

24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

NPH is the highlight for me. I actually really like the guy who plays Klaus too. Mr Poe is so fucking infuriating but the actor does a great job

25. Anthony_

Really missed a golden opportunity to cast John Hodgman as Mr. Poe, in my opinion. But K. Todd Freeman does a great job making you hate his guts.