Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by 5Stories, Jan 10, 2017.

1. 5Stories

Regular

This comes out on Friday. Growing up, I was a huge fan of these books and would really love this to be good but I don't have super high expectations, not because of anyone involved, just because what made the books so special was the hilarious narration - the conversation with the reader, the tangential ramblings, the absurdist humour, the surreal world-building. I really believe they're some of the smartest and funniest kids books ever written. I'm just not sure if screen adaptations can ever do the unique voice of Snicket justice, but we shall see...

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Well I believe Snicket (Daniel Handler) wrote all the episodes and he is portrayed in the show by Patrick Warburton talking to the audience, so I think Snicket's voice should hopefully come through. Reviews have been positive so far too so I'm hopeful. Still not sure about NPH as Olaf though.

Also I'm like 99% sure there's a thread for this already

coleslawed likes this.
  3. 5Stories

Regular

Really? I searched and didn't find one.

4. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

I'm assuming he meant voice as in literary voice rather than literal voice haha

5. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

You're right, there doesn't seem to be a previous thread for this. I must have been thinking of discussion about it in the Netflix thread.

6. Schooner

Trusted

The girl looks so so much like Emily Browning

Don't know how I'll deal with Puddy instead of Jude Law

7. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Very much looking forward to this.

8. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Extremely excited for this.

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's uncanny.

Schooner likes this.
  10. Schooner

Trusted

I hope they use a similar soundtrack to the film. I still regularly give it a spin. I loved it.

Really enjoyed the film and Jim Carreys performance despite criticism

Only 34 more hours to go!

11. Schooner

Trusted

ETA 45mins. I'm missing the cricket for this!!

12. TedSchmosby

Trusted

What's the word??

13. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I was so happy to see Joan Cusack.

14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Gonna start this with the daughter tonight

15. Schooner

Trusted

Watched the first 3. Woke up and gonna do the 4th.

I really didn't like the first ep at all. But then didn't mind the 2nd and quite liked the 3rd.
    Still at the moment prefer the film but it's getting better as it goes.
    I still like Jude law much better than Puddy

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

can't wait to start this tonight, most of the reviews have been very positive and it seems the general consensus is this is the worthy adaptation that the film obviously was not

17. Watched like 20 minutes of the first episode this morning while doing paperwork, ended up turning off because I could tell I wasn't paying enough attention to the dialogue. Liked what I saw, excited to work through the series this weekend. This was my favorite book series growing up.

18. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I don't know why people don't like the movie

Aaron Mook likes this.
  19. Schooner

Trusted

As someone who really liked the film. This is my defence of enjoying it

- I loved the set and costume design and whole vaudeville feel of it all
    - I loved the soundtrack and still play it at night when having a nap
    - I thought him carrey was perfect and thought casting was great with others

But disclaimer. I only read the first book and can see that the 3 book mash may tick if others that read all of them

Aaron Mook and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  20. 5Stories

Regular

Really enjoyed the first two eps. It captured a lot of the spirit of the books and it also looks amazing. Really good fun. I hope it finds an audience.

21. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

The movie wasn't horrible or anything, they tried to cram too much into the runtime (in my opinion) and I remember wishing it was less sentimental at the time but I haven't seen it in a long time so I may be wrong

ECV likes this.
  22. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

My only complaint with the movie was how much they tried to cram. Other than that I thought it was good.

23. JM95

Trusted

Another person who loved the books growing up.

I had no problem with the film other than them messing around with the storylines (like putting the ending to the first book after the end of the third). Carrey was really great, especially as Stefano.

Wasn't particularly keen on the first episode of this - the tone felt a little muddled (although that might perhaps just have been me) and I was missing Carrey as Count Olaf - but I've got into it more with the second and third episode. If I have the time, I might finish it this weekend.

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing the fourth book visualised.

Schooner and Joe4th like this.
  24. Imo the books get substantially better in the latter half of the series, and knowing that this is already renewed for season 2 has me pretty excited.

25. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Episode one was meh for me, but I watched 2-4 and really enjoyed them. I never read the books but saw the movie and also did not enjoy it because it felt rushed.

I really like the casting for this and the narration element is really well done.