Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Lot Like Birds - DIVISI (May 5, 2017) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 22, 2017.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I really think the record is phenomenal, there's something that grabs in every song, feels like a really cohesive work of art

Kmil, Vivatoto, beachdude42 and 2 others like this.
  2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I can objectively say that this is a really well done album and meticulously crafted: the band should be extremely proud of this work, and both vocalists succeed at their task and then some.

I just think that there's something missing from that middle section that creates those moments that grab me. I'm extremely happy that people are resonating with this, but I think they have the potential to create music on the next album that will connect with me more. It has nothing to do with the actual quality of the work.

3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yeah I really dig this. I've never really listened to them before but know that this is quite different than their past work which is what made me want to hear it. And also Owel is opening for them and Owel rules.

Vivatoto and beachdude42 like this.
  4. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Thank you, very much appreciated!

5. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I get this, sometimes songs just feel like they're missing some "spark" even if they're well-done. That being said, the spoken-word of The Smoother The Stone, building up to Infinite Chances, is one of my favorite moments on the album. I *love* the piano outro of Infinite Chances, ending with Cory softly singing the hook one last time. The middle section has some of my favorite quieter moments like that. Maybe it'll grow on you with more listens?

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah I'm at the point where I think I need to take a break from it. I've listened to it 7 times this weekend and I'm having the same reaction every time. The first few songs are consistently in my head, but the songs are just not there in terms of emotional weight. Kuroi Ledge is the shining beacon of this stuff to me, and there's just nothing here that even comes close resonating with me as much as that song does. And the thing is I know these guys can make that music.

7. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I get a little bored after infinite chances. Good soil is the only song after that that I really like, but no bad songs either. First 6-7 songs are terrific. Job well done by these guys.

beachdude42 likes this.
  8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Dudes vocals sound all sorts of fucked up in all the live videos I've seen of their recent tour

9. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

I really liked For Shelley. Song stood out the most to me.

Vivatoto likes this.
  10. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

yup this is what happens when you write insanely high vocal melodies, wonder if his voice is just shot on the tour right now.

11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

really out of tune on this one, but at least his voice is cleaner.

12. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Sounds like his vocal chords are thrashed

13. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

Yeah, very easily my favorite, a perfect song.

Jacob likes this.
  14. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That's the first song of their set and his voice is noticeably rougher by the end of it, and it's like that from videos of different nights. Not shitting on the guy, he could be under the weather or something. But maybe ditching the screaming wasn't the best choice for him

15. Kmil

Trusted

I'm officially in love with this record, something about ti draws me in and doesn't let go. I've been pretty much listening to this exclusively since it came out, just purchased the vinyl. And the lyrics in "Atoms in Everything" are awesome.

beachdude42 and Vivatoto like this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Lyrics are definitely a strong point. I've been pulling up the lyrics to read along each time just for fun.

sawhney[rusted]2 and beachdude42 like this.
  17. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm hoping those live videos don't ruin the record for me lol

18. atlas

Trusted

I feel kind of disappointed with this. Has nothing to do with them not being heavy anymore or anything, but it felt like I was hearing a lot of hype for the 2nd half of record and it just kinda came and went without me really remembering anything that happened. The first 2 singles were easily the most memorable songs for me.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  19. sukottokairu

Regular

i was wondering about those live videos since they haven't said anything about it yet, but yeah he sounds really sick. hopefully his voice will recover before the end of the tour so we can get some better videos!

20. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I feel like it's way easier said than done going from harsh vocals on a standard length set to playing more than an album's worth of material doing all cleans (with some harsh vocals on encores per their setlist). I'm sure he'll come around and get better with time - that's a workout and a half and would be for even more seasoned vocalists, I think, though as many have said it may not be the best choice to do an album release tour as a headliner playing the whole record front to back.

Went back and listened to No Place again yesterday for the first time since it came out and DAMN what an album. Still loving DIVISI and think it's really fantastic, but No Place does feel like a different band for sure in retrospect.

21. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

No Place is their best work for sure, I think.

22. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I really really want to like this. Giving it another shot.

23. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Listened to it 3 times yesterday and it somehow got less memorable with each successive listen. How is that even possible?

I Am Mick likes this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Pretty much how I felt. Gets very boring

25. Kmil

Trusted

Dang, I have the opposite feeling, I'm pretty much hooked on this and I didn't really enjoy their other albums, maybe that's why?

beachdude42 likes this.