Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Lot Like Birds - DIVISI (May 5, 2017) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Mar 22, 2017.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah, they previously had two main vocalists... one was Kurt Travis, previously of Dance Gavin Dance. He did clean vocals, and Cory Lockwood did screams/spoken word. Kurt left last year before this album was recorded because he didn't like the new direction. Cory took singing lessons, and he now is the main singer, along with their bassist Matt Coate doing some singing as well.

Vivatoto likes this.
  2. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

This is so good. Glad it lived up to the singles because they were all great.

3. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Kind of crazy, I took singing lessons and now I have Anthony green range!

beachdude42 likes this.
  4. beachdude

Some of the most "soaring" vocal parts are Matt Coate. It can a little hard to distinguish between him and Cory at first but Cory tends to do the more "belted" high notes and Matt does the more melodic/falsetto highs. Regardless, Cory's progress is definitely extremely impressive!

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  5. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Also, from the Shelly (Unheard) description, Cory was not confident in his ability to sing, but the inspiration for that song (a close friend who passed away) said that he had a beautiful voice and should try to sing. She was part of the reason why Cory decided to try to sing. Just a little tidbit

Vivatoto likes this.
  6. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

That close friend being his mom, who passed last year.

beachdude42 and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  7. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I really really think they did a great job on this. From Moon to Sun, and the title track being my favs

8. beachdude

The final few songs is definitely my favorite stretch as I mentioned above, really emotional and intense.

Cameron likes this.
  9. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

Wow I'm really enjoying this album.

Vivatoto and beachdude42 like this.
  10. Daniel182

Let's hold our breath until we disappear

I have needed time for every A Lot Like Birds album to grow on me, and this one is no different. But I am really enjoying it more and more with each listen.

One of the tracks I return to most often is actually The Smoother the Stone. I love how good Cory is at spoken word.

Vivatoto, beachdude42 and teebs41 like this.
  11. Kmil

Trusted

I think Kurt missed on this one, I like Kurt's voice, I think it would have fit beautifully with this record. Not saying that what's there isn't good, but I just particularly enjoy Kurt Travis' voice.

12. beachdude

I agree tbh, I think he would've fit really well.

Daniel182 likes this.
  13. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Just finished my inaugural listen, and the TREOS/Mi Fa Mi comparisons are super tenuous. It sounds more like a Used album than a TREOS album.

Anyway I support Kurt's decision to leave because this was super bland. It sounds almost like they're re-figuring themselves out as a band and as such everything is really hesitant and subdued.

Meh.

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Disagree, and White I normally enjoy your commentary.I give this one a 1 out of 10 gold Thunderjaws.

Cody and beachdude42 like this.
  15. Night Channels

Trusted

If you can find me while I’m turning over a new leaf, just know I’m looking for another place to hide.

Cameron, Vivatoto and beachdude42 like this.
  16. Vivatoto

Royal Court of Princess Donut Prestigious

I love the lyrics in this song.

beachdude42 and Night Channels like this.
  17. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

I like this a lot, I thought there other stuff was good, but not for me.

beachdude42 likes this.
  18. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Woah....was not expecting this album to be this good.

beachdude42 likes this.
  19. sawhney[rusted]2

Yeah, this is well done. But it's really not clicking with me.

That pained me to write.

20. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Kinda wish they hadn't released the 3 singles they did. It's my favorite run of the record and I want the novelty back.

batmansgrapple likes this.
  21. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Idk I love those songs, esp Trace the Lines. Though from Infinite Chances on ward is really interesting.

beachdude42 likes this.
  22. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Super into this album. I've been listening to it almost non-stop since Friday and still kind of surprised just how much I like it. The second half is really, really strong (which is saying a lot, since I love the first half, too)

beachdude42 likes this.
  23. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Give it a lot of time over the weekend. Still growing on me but I'm enjoying it more and more with every listen.

beachdude42 likes this.
  24. sawhney[rusted]2

Ok, so this album starts out extremely strong. Track 1-4 perfectly sets the tone, and the vocal melodies are just the right amount of aggressive, emotional, and catchy all at the same time. Tracks 5 - 9 is where they lose me. There's just not enough of something to set it apart. The songs don't have enough impact to make them as effective as I expect from ALLB. Cory is one of my favorite lyricists (and that doesn't change with this release), even though I do miss some of the more surrealist dialogue that he used to employ. I also don't think its the production, since the tracks really do sound great. The album picks back up again with track 10 (which I'd say is the most apt Mi Fa Mi song, esp. the gang vocals), and keeps the momentum until the closing note.

Overall, I think this is definitely one of those "growing" albums, where you can see there's something there in the band and the music, but they don't fully execute on the entirety of their potential. I fully expect the next album to blow me the fuck away, as they learn to better execute the songs that they're trying to create.

Also, I'm just yearning for the 3-part harmonies that could have been made for this album if Kurt stayed in the band. God, they would have sounded unreal, since all of their voices sound great, and Kurt would have been great to help even further the atmospheric tones that the band is going for. But if his heart wasn't into it then I'm glad he's out.

25. sawhney[rusted]2

Also, great review on Sputnik btw! I don't entirely agree, but your writing sells the album!

beachdude42 likes this.