Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Look Back at Digital Music Piracy in the 2000s

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Abhimanyu Ghoshal, writing at TNW:

What was particularly interesting back then was the wide range of ingenious methods people used to share tunes. Back in the day, people went beyond simply hosting music on public-facing websites, and instead, found ways to send and receive tracks directly with other internet users. Let’s take a walk down memory lane and take a look at some of the ways people grew their music collections in the late 90s and early 2000s.

ccr_2108 and Kingjohn_654 like this.
  2. AIM file sharing for me in 2003

3. Jared Luttrell

Regular

Limewire was the wild west for me.

4. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I look back fondly those days. Lots of nostalgia thinking about it all.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Limewire and KaZaA ruined my shitty PC but I got so much music including the leaked version of Finch's Say Hello To Sunshine monthssss before the release which I ended up pre-ordering on CD anyways.

Davjs likes this.
  6. grimis16 Jan 2, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2019)
    grimis16

Regular

Once Napter went down and Limewire/KaZaA was ruined by loop tracks, I moved on to mIRC around 2001. I think I used mIRC until about 2010. I was exposed to so much great stuff that I never heard of on this site or any other.

"LimeWire was perhaps the best known of the lot, and was estimated to have been installed on every third PC in the world at one point in its existence." That's insane to think about.

JRGComedy and Collin Skeen like this.
  7. dorfmac

Trusted

napster wasn't only good for filesharing, they also had featured artists and turned me on to the jealous sound. that alone makes them better than any other filesharing method/service

8. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

those were the days.

9. thegreatbenbino

Be excellent to each other! Supporter

I'm excited to one day explain to my children that I used to wait 3 hours to download one song... only to find out it was a low quality rip, the wrong song, or a virus. What a time to have lived.