Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Ghost Story (David Lowery, July 27, 2017 A24) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dog with a Blog, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

2. fronkensteen

Trusted

I'm so pumped to see this. Not sure when I'll be able to though.

3. Dog with a Blog

I'm gonna be in L.A. this week so I could potentially catch it, but I'm supposed to watch it with my sister so probably not until next weekend.

4. Barresi

Tonight's the night for me!

Also, I miraculously won one of those ghost costumes they've been raffling off through their Twitter.

5. Dog with a Blog

That's awesome!

I'm seeing this tomorrow I think

fronkensteen and Barresi like this.
  6. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

Got tickets for a screening Monday with Lowery in attendance.

7. Barresi

This was really something special, I can't quite put it into words yet. I just can't remember the last time I walked out of a movie theater feeling the way I did coming out of this. I cannot wait to see it again, as soon as possible.

Yasqueen4 and Dog with a Blog like this.
  8. Dog with a Blog

Man. I really need to keep my expectations low. I am way too hyped for this.

9. Barresi

Just be open to it, and you'll love it. That's all I'll really say, haha.

Yasqueen4 and Dog with a Blog like this.
  10. Dog with a Blog

Seeing this in two hours

11. Dog with a Blog

Um. I think I loved this.

Yasqueen4 and Barresi like this.
  12. Barresi

13. Dog with a Blog

this is small, but if I could change one thing it'd be the score in the final scene. I'd either have it be silent or more orchestral. But yeah, this was incredible and touches on subjects and themes that I think about all the time.

Very pertinent to my life right now

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

I will be thinking about this for awhile

Yasqueen4, Larry David and Barresi like this.
  15. fronkensteen

Trusted

Ugh, y'all are killing me.

16. Dog with a Blog

Slant Film pretty much hated this. I enjoy reading them, as they usually have a pretty interesting take on things, but I think they missed the mark on this one, imo.

17. mgiannotti

edge mike Supporter

This was definitely very affecting. I don't know how I feel about it entirely, but I can't stop thinking about it, either.

Yasqueen4 and Barresi like this.
  18. Barresi

Yeah, more or less have not stopped thinking about it since I saw it.

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  19. Dog with a Blog

@Barresi

ok, so towards the end when he's in the future he jumps off the building and gets up to find himself in, what I initially thought to be, the far far future. As it goes on it becomes pretty apparent that this is actually the past. However, and I'm not sure if I'm just hearing things, that little girl is humming and I could have sworn that she was humming the song that Casey Affleck wrote, which would have harkened back to the conversation at the party. Did you notice that at all?

Larry David likes this.
  20. Barresi

Yes, she definitely is. It's one of those things that's making me go back and catch it again tomorrow. I feel like there were so many things I missed the first time around, but luckily I caught that one as well.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

Cool. No one else in my group caught that so I thought maybe I was nuts.

22. Barresi

Haha, maybe we're both crazy. But I had listened to that song constantly all of last week, so my ears were pretty well-tuned to picking it up. I'll try and provide a definitive answer tomorrow.

Bloodsucker II likes this.
  23. Dog with a Blog Jul 15, 2017
    (Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017)
    Dog with a Blog

Also, I'm so glad they didn't show the note

Edit: and I loved that there were no subtitles when the Spanish speaking family was featured

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Barresi like this.
  24. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This was beautiful. It feels like a culmination of influences from so many major arthouse directors from the last decade put to effect in a way that hasn't really been done in American cinema. I saw major shades of Tsai Ming-liang in the film's exploration of grief and time, as well as Pedro Costa's Horse Money, specifically with the character of the ghost and his representation of a piece of the past clinging on while the world around you moves on and changes.

I think the first half of this film is absolutely perfect. The deliberate pacing and long takes lulled me into such a trance. I think it's less good in the second half, but still great. In this regard, it reminded me of Under the Skin, which I felt similar to structurally. When something is working on such a singular level, I get that it's hard to sustain that for an entire film without eventually becoming trite.

I loved the use of 1.33 aspect ratio and the grain of the 35mm film (though I wish it was being shown that way!!). It really gave the film this beautiful effect of intimacy, like watching memories through home movies.

There probably won't be a better mood piece to come out this year.

Yasqueen4, Nathan and Dog with a Blog like this.
  25. Dog with a Blog

I'm dying to see this again.

@fronkensteen when do you plan on seeing this?