Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (David Wain, Netflix, 2017) Movie • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by joe727, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Watching now, just started

2. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Watched this when I got up this morning. I really loved it a lot. So many cameos. David Wain does no wrong.

Will Forte nailed it as Doug Kenney

3. Oh man, totally forgot about this. Excited to watch tonight

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This was fine

5. Signifire

Yeah this was okay. I enjoyed it but probably won’t watch it again.

6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Really excited to watch this!

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Sad to see lukewarm responses. A new Wain film is always something to look forward to, and the subject matter of this one had me even more intrigued. I'll still probably watch it this weekend, but I'm bummed there's not more enthusiasm for it.

8. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I really liked it, but it feels very rushed, it's kind of ugly (everything is so bright and fake looking) and a lot of the impersonations are pretty off (I had to keep reminding myself that McHale was playing Chevy Chase). Still, it's insane how many people are in this movie and it's a lot of fun (even while depressing)

kyle and suicidesaints like this.
  9. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

This was immensely enjoyable! Forte was really really great in this and really loved how Wain got Paul Rudd in this.

I Am Mick likes this.
  10. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

"You play tennis?"

11. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

Definitely missed that. Who was he?

12. jjnunn118

He was in the high school yearbook. He was "the nobody"

coleslawed and mike1885 like this.
  13. Signifire

Hahah had to pause it and google Paul Rudd’s yearbook pictures at that point. Thought that was awesome too.

14. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I enjoyed this. I bit more dramatic than I thought it would be, but it was a good deal of fun.

15. Yeah I liked this a lot, thought the cast was great, enjoyed the scope of everything covered, etc. It may not be the ideal biopic in a sense, but it was definitely interesting and definitely a fun watch

coleslawed likes this.
  16. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I wasn’t too into this except the narrative structure and meta parts. Joel McHale’s Chevy was pretty great, though.

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

This was enjoyable in part because of the killer cast. I’m a stickler for biopics being as accurate as possible but at least this took a meta approach by addressing actors not looking like their real-life counterparts. McHale at least nailed Chevy’s delivery as long as I pictured a younger Chevy in the scenes. Casting Martin Mull as an older Doug was interesting in order to put the legacy of the magazine into perspective. I agree in saying this feels rushed, as it seems the documentary came out so soon ago.

suicidesaints likes this.
  18. I thought Jon Daly did a great Bill Murray

JRGComedy and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  19. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I thought the Murray monologue with the piano was great and pretty close, but other than that I just saw Daly with a mustache. I like that they made the joke that none of the actors really look like the people they are portraying, but I was never really immersed.

The ridiculous wigs/bright lightning just kind of spoiled it. I thought Domnhall was great but I couldn't get past his ridiculous fake hair

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Domnhall easily the best part of this movie

coleslawed and I Am Mick like this.
  21. jjnunn118

I didn't know that was Domnhall until I looked it up after the movie, so I'll consider that a success.

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Same here. Plus I was totally unfamiliar of Beard before the movie

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

CarpetElf, Signifire and chewbacca110 like this.
  24. I thought this was enjoyable, not as funny as I was expecting though.

25. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Got about half way through this last night. Really enjoyed what I saw. The fourth wall stuff was great.