Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Familiar Stranger

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Julien Baker, writing at Oxford American:

As she muses aloud about whether it’s better to raise a child to be compassionate but naive, or shrewd but callous, I think of my own tendency toward the willful naivety of a bleeding heart, the way it has been ironically challenging to the people I love most. I think of my partner’s concern when I would pick up hitchhikers, loan money I might never get back, miss important personal obligations because I felt I was morally moved to attend a march or demonstration protesting one of this administration’s innumerable injustices. I think of my mother negotiating the line between insulation and exposure, of the times when my fragile adolescent ego was wounded by the brass tacks she considered a vital part of education.

2. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

I'd vote for a Baker/Bridgers 2020 ticket...

3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

This is so insightful and thought provoking I’m officially worried she’ll just do this instead of keep making music.

KidLightning likes this.
  4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I'd love a sociopolitical album from her.

coleslawed and AshlandATeam like this.
  5. AshlandATeam

Trusted

I love that this takes the steps most people won’t take in these conversations - to actually see why the people she loves disagree with where she’s at, to self-critique where she may or may not be totally on base, and then to finally come to peace with the idea that growth comes from exposure and relationships with those who are totally different. She’s thoughtful in a way that makes her a better person, and sets an example for others.

This is just such a rare perspective, and a beautiful one. And of course all of that is what makes her lyrics so incredible also.

coleslawed and KidLightning like this.
  6. What a moving read. I love when artists I love create wonderful works of art in different mediums. This is a beautiful example of that.

KidLightning likes this.
  7. serotonin Nov 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 16, 2018)
    serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

So this is interesting, there's another article written by her called Eau Claire. I didn't know of the article when it was written, but I'm from Eau Claire and a huge JB fan, so I excitedly started reading it.

I'm almost 100% sure that the article is written about my friend, but I don't believe she is aware of it, nor aware of who Julien is. I messaged her but I'm waiting for her to confirm, the suspense is killing me. That's crazy!

Edit: It was my friend who drove her. What are the fucking chances. I'm trying to get her to join me for the Boygenius show tomorrow.

coleslawed likes this.