Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Decade Under The Influence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

For this week’s playlist I decided to celebrate some of the albums quietly turning 10 this year. The albums without anniversary tours, reissues, or major recognition. 2006 was a great year for music — it saw new releases from established acts like Yellowcard, Senses Fail, Brand New, Sugarcult, and debuts from bands like +44 (I’m still holding out for another album) and Vobra Starship (I will always love While the City Sleeps, We Rule The Streets).

You can check out the full tracklist below, and stream the playlist now on Spotify and Apple Music.

Track Listing

1. ”Holly Wood Died” – Yellowcard
    2. ”Liar (It Takes One To Know One)” – Taking Back Sunday
    3. ”Megan (feat. Josh Caterer)” – Bayside
    4. ”Calling All Cars” – Senses Fail
    5. ”Degausser” – Brand New
    6. ”Reason To Believe” – Dashboard Confessional
    7. ”Break Out! Break Out!” – All Time Low
    8. ”The Church of Hot Addiction – Cobra Starship
    9. ”Do It Alone” – Sugarcult
    10. ”Make You Smile” – +44
    11. ”Monsters” – Matchbook Romance
    12. ”Graduation Day” – Head Automatica
    13. ”High School Never Ends” – Bowling For Soup
    14. ”Modern Swinger” – The Pink Spiders
    15. ”It’s Not Your Fault” – New Found Glory
    16. ”Clothes Off!” – Gym Class Heroes
    17. ”Decoration” – The Early November

RyanPm40, mercury and Josh Chavez like this.
  2. Josh Chavez Aug 12, 2016
    (Last edited: Aug 12, 2016)
    Josh Chavez

formerly cool

Very cool idea. Love this. Can't believe it's been 10 years for so many of these...

I do feel like there needs to be a track from The Format's "Dog Problems" on here though...

3. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

It's missing Gatsbys American Dream, their self-titled just turned 10 not that long ago.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  4. MikeC18

Decoration is one of my favorite songs of all time.

5. don't fret

Man, Graduation Day brings a tidal wave of nostalgia over me. Graduated High school 10 years ago also...ugh

6. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Lights and Sounds is easily Yellowcard's best album IMO. The title track is really the only song I skip.

7. aniafc

Trusted

I was 12 when High School Never Ends came out and my god the accuracy is astonishing.

JRGComedy likes this.
  8. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yup. I remember most people on AP trashing it too because it wasn't pop punky enough for them. It's a shame. The band regressed after that in my opinion.

9. DallasSF

Sugarcult's "Lights Out" & Devil & God were in constant rotation. "Louder Now" was my favorite TBS record too (judge me).

Glad it leads with 'Holly Wood Died", favorite off L&S.

celluloid dreams and Penguin like this.
  10. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I like Light and Sounds but I would never call Paper Walls a regression. Very strong album. There are a few tracks on Light and Sounds that could have been stronger.

Schooner likes this.
  11. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I personally don't care for Paper Walls. Never understood the love for that record.

12. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

The Takedown, Fighting, Cut Me Mick, Date Line, 5 becomes 4, You and Me and One Spotlight?

All near the top of their catalog for me.

But I can't say I go back to Down On My Head, Grey, Space Travel, Words Hands Hearts, or Waiting Game too often. Holly Wood Died is a fantastic closer no doubt however.

I'm sure this is coming off ironic as someone who dated their username from the year Lights and Sounds came out...

Schooner and Ryan like this.
  13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Haha no worries. See, I love Grey. As well as Space Travel and Down On My Head. That's their best stuff to me. I'm sure I'm in the minority but yeah- I wish they continued that musical path. Doesn't matter anymore since they're breaking up but yeah.

14. TFT87

Regular

Been listening to Still Searching a lot lately and the guitar work/musicianship on it is really amazing. Wish SF would go back to that sound.

15. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

An evolution of the Light and Sounds song writing sounds very enticing...to me Lift a Sail is like the same kind of "evolution" but in a much more cheerful lighter/pop direction.

I'm hoping the last album is awesome because I haven't really LOVED any of their albums since Paper Walls.

16. aniafc

Trusted

Same. But I remember Buddy said something like even though it's their most successful record, he could never put himself in that type of head space to write that music again.

he teased a tour for it, but I guess that's not happening.

17. Barcara

Regular

"Coming Home" is the only NFG album I revisit frequently, they really matured into that new sound and made it work for them.

I was excited to see more albums in that vein, but I've gathered the fan reaction was pretty negative. Any love for it in here?

sean_rugy and Luroda like this.
  18. skoopy

Regular

When its not summertime that's the only album of theirs that I play.

19. TFT87

Regular

Yeah, I've heard in interviews he has no interest in making pop punk style music again, which sucks. There was a recent post on Instagram though that showed Garrett was back writing for a new album, so that could be promising.

20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

@Jason Tate

THE PINK SPIDERSSSSSSSS

Remember them?! Man, that album was really, really catchy. Some of the most fun pop-rock of the 2000s.

Also, you're nowhere near the only one who still loves While The City Sleeps. I still enjoy that album as well, and a lot of the follow-up too, to be honest.

JRGComedy and Penguin like this.
  21. Penguin

just let me cry a little bit longer Prestigious

Love, love, love seeing Cobra Starship, The Pink Spiders, and Head Automatica on here. Honestly, every song on here rules...but now I feel old knowing they're 10 years old.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  22. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Paper Walls would have made for a killer EP if it was just the first half.

A ton of records on this list have aged a lot better than I thought they would. All Time Low 2006 still sounds incredibly dated.

23. testtime

Regular

All of you are wrong. Matchbook Romance has the best album on that list. Voices was REEEDICKYOULISHOUS

24. ale5875

Regular

This. Both Stories & Alibis and Voices are incredible, it's crazy they broke up after that record came out.

Holly Wood Died is a stellar track though. One of the few songs I genuinely enjoy off Lights and Sounds.

25. Sal Paradise

Trusted

This is the year I graduated high school and went to college so I have tons of important memories from this time.

Early 06 was all Monsters

Spring/ Summer was all Louder Now, A City By The Light Divided, and Angels &Airwaves

First semester of college was TDAG, Still Searching, +44, and A smidge of Coming Home

What a great year of music

Carmensaopaulo likes this.