Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Decade of ‘Anhedonia’ (Encore Episode 147) Podcast

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Graduate’s Anhedonia turned ten this week and former lead singer, Corey Warning, joins Encore to talk all about it. We discuss the early stages of the band, recording the album, the stories behind some of the songs, and check in on what Corey has been up to the past few years. We dive into why a reunion probably isn’t in the cards and spend some time waxing nostalgic about the music scene from 10 years ago. If you were a fan of this band and album, I think you’re going to love this one. If you’ve never heard this album before, you should probably get on that, but this episode also has a bunch of great industry insights, tips, and tales that make it worth your while. It’s a fun one.

Note: We recorded this episode live, in person, so the quality is a little different than you may be used to. However, I think that the back and forth of being in person gives it a really fun vibe that’s totally worth it.

Hosts

Show Notes

Subscribe

You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via any podcast player using our RSS feed, on SoundCloud, via Overcast, in Google Play, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes, or on SoundCloud.

If you have any follow-up, questions, or a topic you’d like us to cover on a future episode, please send a tweet using the hashtag #askEncore. If you’d like to follow this podcast on Twitter we are at @encorepodcast. We love hearing from listeners and are always looking for topics both big and small to tackle. So, let us know!

If you like the podcast, could you please rate and review us on iTunes? It really does help. If you’re using the great podcast player Overcast, please hit the “recommended” button on the episodes you like. And if you have any friends that you think would like our podcast, please let them know! Word of mouth and telling people about this podcast will always be the best thing you can do to help us out. We really appreciate it.

Information about sponsoring our podcast can be found on this page, and if you become a member you get episodes a day early along with a bunch of other perks.

2. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Loved this album.

And as a guitarist, it really inspired me to try new techniques. I've been into delay, playing triplets and all ever since.

jco3 and Jason Tate like this.
  3. serotonin

who told you this room exists?

This album is fantastic. Still listen to it often enough.

Actually I got into them because The Evergreen EP was featured on absolutepunk. So.. thanks!

bptky and Jason Tate like this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Oh that's cool as hell

Jason Tate likes this.
  5. John Zafran

As If Everything Was Held In Place

this is great

Jason Tate likes this.
  6. zachff

deadformat.net/collection/zachff Prestigious

Fun story. I ordered this on vinyl and was lucky enough to get one of these signed lyric sheets:

"In addition, vocalist Corey Warning has handwritten the lyrics to each track on Anhedonia, as well as "Gunslinger" and "We're On The Same Page." These lyric sheets are limited to one per song ,coming out to 14 total sheets, each completely unique from the other, are autographed by Corey, and will be inserted Willy Wonka Golden Ticket-style into 14 of the 75 Limited Edition orders."

But it was for the song "Interlude," and the sheet just says Interlude...

Nice.

studskalny and zigbigwig like this.
  7. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

wasn't joe the one who put this out?
    dude did some real shitty things with his label so that's not suprising

8. zachff

deadformat.net/collection/zachff Prestigious

Eh, I wasn't too bummed about it. Found it more entertaining than anything else. I guess SOMEONE had to get the "Interlude" lyric sheet.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Summarize: no reunion ? :(

10. I'm really enjoying this episode. I actually like the audio quality -- it's so obviously two people in a room together, which isn't a common feeling for a podcast.

Jason Tate likes this.
  11. dtbjerke

Regular Supporter

Love this so much. Would be amazing if these types of episodes popped up every once in a while. Doing some quick research and trying to gauge what other 2007 albums might be considered beloved by the site... you've got "Riot!" in June, "So Wrong, It's Right" + "Rise or Die Trying" in September and "In Defense of the Genre" in October.

I know the circumstances of this one were pretty ideal (aka Corey lives in Portland) but consider this a vote in a poll you didn't create:thumbup::thumbup:

studskalny and Jason Tate like this.
  12. jco3

Regular

This is so cool. I'll be listening later for sure.

Jason Tate likes this.
  13. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

fellow Nintendo fan and member of one of my favorite bands. Anhedonia and OET got me through a lot.

Time to celebrate by binging on The Graduate and Mario Kart 8.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Thanks for listening and all the great feedback everyone.

15. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

I have all my albums categorized by year so I'm cheating here. Anberlin- Cities, Starting Line- Direction, A Day To Remember- For Those Who Have Heart, Mayday Parade- Lesson In Romantics, etc etc basically a ton of good records

studskalny and dtbjerke like this.
  16. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Little bit late, but I just wanted to say this was one of my favorite podcast episodes in a while. Corey was pretty open, which allowed for a lot of cool information to be extrapolated, but it was also a long episode. I wasn't a big fan of the band when they were active, but Anhedonia has really been a record I have come around on over the years. I really messed up back then. But again, really nice job on the podcast.

Jason Tate likes this.
  17. Sal Mastrocola

Making Music in Gatto Black

This was a wonderful episode – it really felt like going back in time to 2007. Jason you asked some awesome questions, and Corey was really open with the band's ups and downs. I was hooked for the whole 2.5 hours.

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Thanks so much for listening!

Sal Mastrocola likes this.
  19. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I started the thought and then stopped, but I really liked that it was a long episode. Sometimes the standard 30-60 minutes just isn't enough, and this was a good example.

20. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Great episode. One of my favorite bands that I always wanted a 3rd LP from. Listening to all of Corey's reasons for leaving the industry and why the band split gives me a good amount of closure. Thanks for setting this up!

studskalny likes this.
  21. sayitaintjoe

would be rad if they posted that record on spotifyyyyyyy