Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Day To Remember Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Zoshchenko, Jun 2, 2016.

1. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Touche. Touche.

2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Really hope they play "Exposed" live next week opening for Blink; pit will be massive for that one

The Mysterious and Davjs like this.
  3. Davjs

Trusted

Is this album the first to feature a song with a traditional guitar solo in it?

4. Schooner

Trusted

You nailed exactly how I feel dude. Especially with not hearing any classics o first listen. Especially so soon after Ocala and Right Back at It

Davjs likes this.
  5. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Much like the new PTV this is just there - not terrible - just nothing on here that reaches the level of some of their best tunes. I prefer CC. Like Justified a lot though.

Schooner likes this.
  6. Bane

The spiciest meme

One listen through and I'd say yea, it's a solid album. Nothing really GRABS me like some previous albums and I do like CC more than it so far but that's fine.

7. Davjs

Trusted

On my second listen I like it a lot more. Paranoia is still my favorite, love the fast paced flow and it's my favorite breakdown. Reassemble is also up there and I don't think anyone's mentioned it. I don't know if anyone listens to Sevendust, but Exposed definitely has 7D style gutiar tones. I knew the style sounded different and new for them and finally it hit me. Love it!

8. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Couple cool songs, but nothing as immediately as infectious and fun as alot of CC.

9. Jusscali

Reassemble Def stood out to me. The middle of the record is my favorite.

10. Zoshchenko

Trusted Supporter

Naivety, Same About You, and Exposed all jump out as transcendent songs on the record. But I think all the songs are really good.

11. Jusscali

A lot of the non heavy songs just don't sell all that well to me. This coming from a guy who prefers their softer stuff

Schooner likes this.
  12. marceting

Trusted

Exposed chorus sounds like a hard version of a Tonight Alive song. No joke.

13. Joe DeAndrea

Regular Supporter

If the bonus tracks are anything like CC's bonus tracks then oh boyyyy the best is yet to come

14. Schooner

Trusted

Which one. I'm kinda getting the vibe but it's doing my head in which one
    Although the chorus does sound like a early 2000s Korn chorus too

15. marceting

Trusted

To Be Free maybe? I can't put my finger on it. I need to re-listen to Exposed.

16. review should be posted either tomorrow or early next week

17. Honestly, I'm not interested in a single song off this record. Even the best stuff sounds contrived or done better else where ("Paranoia" is just a weaker late 90s/early '00s hard rock song and "Forgive and Forget" is a lackluster build-to-an-emotional-climax song that has been done a thousand times better by many bands beloved by this site). Common Courtesy had some legitimate anthems on it - this feels entirely phoned in. Very disappointed in a band that I finally believed was starting to realize their potential.

Not to mention that his vocals are weirdly buried in the mix and the whole things is way too bass-heavy and muddy, taking away much-needed clarity from the middling songwriting. Common Courtesy had mixing problems but was still heads and shoulders above this.

Schooner likes this.
  18. Davjs Sep 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 1, 2016)
    Davjs

Trusted

Never got this argument. Any band making music today could have the same thing said about them. Nothing is original or ground breaking anymore. Paranoia is an awesome fast paced catchy song. The fact that another band did another fast paced catchy song better doesn't discredit it in my mind.

Their potential has always been catchy pop punk songs with hardcore elements and breakdowns right? I think this is the one band people are fine with not changing their sound too much.

I can agree on this point on a lot of the songs. Jeremy has such a good voice and it sounds a little off in certain parts in certain songs. Still enjoyable though.

19. himynameisdakota

Regular

Yeah, I'm shocked on how much hate this record is getting. I don't even know what people want from this band anymore.

Mister Lyrical and Davjs like this.
  20. Schooner

Trusted

I think that's the one. Also How Does it Feel by TA. Also similar sounding

Coincidently they got announced as ADTR support in December Australia NZ Tour this week

marceting likes this.
  21. Schooner

Trusted

Ps. Deluxe bonus track.

First one is super pop/punk almost like Cartel or something. 2nd one Florida is too, but at a more bouncey pace, with a super sugary singing chorus with a female vocal backing up.
    Not their usual NFG sounding punk

22. Eva89

Trusted Prestigious

I love this record so much, i can't get myself to stop listening.

23. The point of the argument is that for me personally, if I want to hear this sound, my first thought isn't to listen to this song. It's not that the album is bad, it's that it's painfully mediocre and forgettable.

On Common Courtesy the vocal hooks were better, riffs were better, and there seemed to be an impetus behind their music (the shit with Victory Records). Basically, they were making almost perfect versions of this genre. These songs feel more amateurish. It's not about a change in sound, it's about application of that sound done well. I never though ADTR would utterly change their genre, but this isn't even a great example of the genre. Homesick and What Separates Me From You have more hooks than this does, not to mention that Common Courtesy blows all of these albums out of the water. And this genre lives on hooks and its fun, mosh-like qualities, as well as a splash of emotional honesty. This record fails to consistently deliver on at least two of those qualities.

Glad we found some common ground, haha. I don't think Bill Stevenson was a great choice for their sound.

I don't hate it, I thought it was mediocre, and I don't want much. I literally just wanted some fun songs to bounce around to and sing along with, and I got barely any. I can't recall a single chorus or riff beyond "Paranoia" after two or three listens to the record.

Schooner likes this.
  24. Schooner

Trusted

All fair points BM, I do agree with most. Album is growing on me. But hasn't got the punch that 2009 era had. Could be in a rut. Do they miss Tom Denny too much?

25. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

Tom helped write Forgive and Forget.

I liked Common Courtesy more but this album's still pretty damn good. Bullfight, We Got This, and Turn Off The Radio are the early stand-outs for me.

Common Courtesy > For Those Who Have Heart = Bad Vibrations > Homesick > What Separates Me From You > And Their Name Was Treason