Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Day to Remember – “Degenerates” • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 20, 2019.

1. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I’m talking to a kid now about it and ATL was exactly who he said. As a fan of them since the beginning, they’ve never once been a punk band to me, nor has their progression seemed out of character, but what do I know haha.

Jake W likes this.
  2. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

They probably also think old ADTR is hardcore lol

currytheword and tyramail like this.
  3. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

That's just it though, it IS hardcore to this kid and to the masses. I know you're not being really snarky, but think about it from this kid's perspective.

If you've only listened to Blink and ATL and FOB, ADTR DOES hit you like a ton of fucking bricks when you're a teen and haven't heard breakdowns and growls. It's accessible. It's a gateway to lands unknown.

This scene would do well to remember the more welcoming attitude that permeates most of the scene. Not everyone can, will or has to start their hardcore journey listening to Minor Threat bootlegs or Shai Hulud or Madball.

4. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I totally get this, and agree about the welcoming attitude. But it doesn’t come off as a welcoming attitude when a young kid is bashing a label because it “ruins” their favorite bands. It just comes off as someone who expects bands to never progress or “sell out.”

Analog Drummer and Jake W like this.
  5. Jake W Aug 21, 2019
    (Last edited: Aug 21, 2019)
    Jake W

People have been trying to say for years ADTR have been getting poppier, including with the release of this song. A second Glance, a song on their first album is extremely poppy. They've never been a hardcore band and that's not a subjective thing.

Analog Drummer and tyramail like this.
  6. Jake W

ADTR have always had a poppy side it's not a new thing

7. HatingEveryMinute

2005 OMEA runner up in triangle solo

can definitely agree with that but this chorus is straight up cheesy pop.

Also pretty blatant rip off of "you can count on me" by trophy eyes

8. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

I don’t hear you can count on me at all haha

9. Jake W

Did people who think FBR made ATL poppy not listen to Dirty Work or something

tyramail likes this.
  10. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This is what I think almost every time the “they went poppy” thing comes up. Dirty Work showed a lot of clear pop tendencies so seeing Last Young Renegade have so much backlash was super weird and unwarranted to me. Same goes for people crying about Pvris being too poppy now, it’s like they’ve heard a few of their songs and that’s it.

Jake W likes this.
  11. Jake W

Yeah seen a lot of people moan about pvris too. Even their first album is very poppy. Saw their new sound coming a mile off

tyramail likes this.
  12. currytheword

Trusted

Old Record and Common Courtesy are really the only things I revisit for fun sometimes. Homesick had 3 good tracks but I haven’t listened to that album in some time. Might try it now.

13. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Homesick hasn't aged well for me, unfortunately.

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I could like this maybe but i'm 30 years old.

currytheword likes this.
  15. Jake W

ok old man

16. bloodinthesand

Regular

I think they have the potential to have a number#1 album this time around...They are bigger than ever

17. Analog Drummer

Regular

Bring out the Michael Buble he’s done

Lanz likes this.
  18. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

19. SFguitar

Regular

Homesick's a classic and pretty much a perfect album. Y'all wack

BigG1392, Analog Drummer and Lanz like this.
  20. josh-

Twitter: @joshcaraballin

Shit tier ADTR song, on par with how piss poor uninspired “Bad Vibrations” was.

SFguitar likes this.