Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Brief Inquiry Into The 1975

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Dan Stubbs, writing for NME:

A Cole Porter-like jazz song sounds like a standard and has the killer lyric “I fight crime online sometimes”; a new wave pop song is outwardly about love but is not so subtly an ode to heroin (“I’ve got a 20-stone monkey on my back”), there’s a fragile, beautiful ballad about guilt, one song employs the kind of plastic piano sound last heard on Glenn Medeiros’s ‘Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You’; a ‘90s-style alt-rock track, ‘I Always Wanna Die Sometimes’, is a stirringly moving song about depression; a spoken word piece, voiced by Siri, skewers our relationship with the internet in a modern parable. And even in this jumbled up state, it sounds like a masterpiece, a game-changer, a bar-raiser. An absolute stone cold legend masterpiece. It sounds like they’ve done what Matty said all that time ago: they’ve made ‘OK Computer’ for a new generation of kids – ’Snowflake Computer’, if you will.

2. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

Can't wait.~

3. macbethfan

Trusted Supporter

Wow. That is a very large, bold statement, and I hope it holds up here.

Mr. Serotonin likes this.
  4. heymattrick

Sending my love

Snowflake Computer

macbethfan likes this.
  5. rbf737

Regular

I already thought their last one was a damn near masterpiece. The idea that they could top it with this is pretty crazy to think about it.

6. Frank Lapidus

Regular Supporter

The four songs they have released so far have hit me harder than the rest of their discography. It really is shaping up to be something of a masterpiece - or so I hope.

7. transrebel59

Regular

I truly think The Midnight's new album Kids is pretty damn close to that. If we're talking about "themes", then yeah... The Midnight's new album is probably the most relevant piece of music right now.