Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Marielle Heller, October 2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I feel like the existence of Won't You Be My Neighbor? renders something like this unnecessary, right?

I mean, I'll see it for Hanks but I'm not sure why this needed to exist, personally.

Ken likes this.
  4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

something about that trailer is super weird and I can't figure out what

didn't really do much for me either way

5. BackyardHero11

Trusted

Won't You Be My Neighbor was amazing. and I'm all in to sit in a theatre and cry watching Tom Hanks be amazing haha

coleslawed likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Mr Rogers and Tom Hanks both have super distinctive voices and he sounds nothing like Mr Rogers, it's hard because just doing an impression isn't necessarily good in movies either

coleslawed and I Am Mick like this.
  7. BackyardHero11

Trusted

yeah I was surprised he didn't try sounding closer to him, but when I thought about it maybe that wouldn't have been for the best.

8. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Philip is going deep undercover.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  9. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I think it almost has an ominous tone in the first half of the trailer, which is very odd.

I’m still super excited to see something this wholesome, and the fact that Matthew Rhys is in it too just sends it over the top.

I Am Mick likes this.
  10. This certainly isn't necessary but I'm here for a feel good movie

coleslawed and BackyardHero11 like this.
  11. If anything, I hope this makes more people aware of how pure Mr. Rogers was. Always nice to see Matthew Rhys in stuff.

12. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

But what is the conflict of this story? Is it just two hours of Mr Rodgers being a nice guy and everyone else being like "damn he's such a nice guy"

CarpetElf likes this.
  13. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

The current nicest guy in entertainment playing the all time nicest guy in entertainment.

The feel good movie to end all feel good movies.

coleslawed and Mrplum5089 like this.
  14. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This story doesn’t need conflict, it’s Mr. Rogers. I do think there will be some internal conflict coming from Matthew Rhys and how Fred changes his life, but that’s probably it.

coleslawed and CarpetElf like this.
  15. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Day 1

16. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Gonna be a great thanksgiving seeing this and Knives Out back-to-back Lol

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

a thousand percent yes

18. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

The journalist who Matthew Rhys’s character is based on wrote a really interesting (and long) article in the Atlantic. Would recommend.

My Friend Mister Rogers

coleslawed likes this.
  20. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Saw this last night. This would have been much more effective if I hadn't have already seen the doc last year, but Tom Hanks is always a joy to watch even if this wasn't really a standout film/performance. Still worth a watch. Heller does a good job directing and it's a heartfelt little film.

21. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I haven't watched either. Which would you recommend?

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I'll watch anything with Tom Hanks and this was good, so I don't want to discourage you from seeing it, but the doc is better. With both films, the "thesis" is basically, "Mr. Rogers had a lasting effect on every person he met, regardless of age" - I feel like seeing the ACTUAL Mr. Rogers have this effect on people hits harder than seeing Tom Hanks in that role. Both are worth your time, but if you only watch one, watch the doc.

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Getting more excited for this as it gets closer. When I saw The Irishman all of the trailers were for super dark and heavy movies and then this one was thrown in because clearly Mr. Rogers is of universal interest.

24. Not expecting it to hit me as hard as the doc, but I'm still looking forward to it.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  25. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I saw this last night and absolutely loved it. Hanks is wonderful, per usual.

The first half of this film is the literal manifestation of a cup of warm tea on a rainy day. The second half of the film is an episode of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood for adults on how to handle the anger and resentment we develop as children.

It's a perfect Thanksgiving movie for the family, and a can't miss for anyone who grew up watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.