Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

A$AP Rocky - Testing (May 25, 2018) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by brandon_260, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Bane

The spiciest meme

lmao what the fuck is calldrops

outside of that it's been good so far

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Definitely dug this on first listen

3. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I still smile like an idiot when I hear a new Cudi verse

irthesteve likes this.
  4. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

5. username

hey you lil piss baby

I hesitate to praise Calldrops because Kodak, but I think it's one of the most interesting and affecting experiments on the record.

6. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

this is really cool but FUCK kodak/"free kodak"

CarpetElf likes this.
  7. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

Projected for 80-100K first week

8. Gave it a 6.7

9. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

how do you give three tracks from an album BNT and don't even hit the 7

Joel and irthesteve like this.
  11. DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

If he would have made a straightforward, no-frills trap record, he probably would have been rated higher. The last YoungBoy NBA got a 6.9. BlocBoy JB got a 7.7 (hahahaha). Being ambitious rarely pays off on Pitchfork unless you're Kendrick.

12. azzy01

Regular

Or kanye

13. azzy01

Regular

Really thought this album would have gotten better critical reviews, I feel like this is the sort of album critics would have wanted to hear this year. To me it incorporates a lot of the modern sounds as well as new sounds and is experimental enough to be familar, while still sounding good and pushing the boundaries of what's trendy right now. Either way I for one appreciate the sounds of this album in light of how oversaturated trap rap is right now

DeathOrGlory likes this.
  14. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

p4k gave his worst album by far an 8.5 so

Drew Beringer likes this.
  15. cwhit

yeah, but you forget how buzzy that record was then and how everywhere it was. That was THE album for like the first half of that year

Yeah, retroactively it’s not great but you need to remember scores are the product of the buzz and environment at that time and looking back it makes a lot of sense why it got that high

16. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

6.9 too many when you're on tape assaulting your girlfriend, fucking gross

cwhit likes this.
  17. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

whats wrong with blocboy jb?

18. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i dont think that album is as bad as this one

Drew Beringer likes this.
  19. cwhit

i think the critical problem with this is that there really isn't much personality on this record. a lot of the big rap records critically these days really have that

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

i think the personality on this record is distinctly rocky, i think the album is wildly inconsistent though and the good tracks are kind of scattered throughout and you have to dig for them.

21. Bane

The spiciest meme

It probably doesn't help that it came out the same day as Pusha T, who does almost the complete opposite of what this record does with a tight tracklist and pretty much no frills rap

22. username

hey you lil piss baby

I think this is pretty much front to back aces

23. Bane

The spiciest meme

I'm gonna be honest I ended up falling asleep the first time going through this but I had started it late at night so I'll blame it more on that, I gotta give a full go during the day

24. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This album is pretty great from beginning to end imo. Tonally, it's a very warm atmospheric album despite jarring rhythmic shifts that occur throughout the songs. Layers of texture and movement unveil themselves constantly- yet it all feels easy to vibe to. I don't care for scores but 6.7 is just plain silly.

jpmalone4 and ChaseTx like this.
  25. DeathOrGlory May 29, 2018
    (Last edited: May 29, 2018)
    DeathOrGlory

Just a friendly reminder

BlocBoy is fine. He's just pretty middle-of-the-road as far as I'm concerned. Fun but unexciting. Probably shouldn't have laughed but I just thought that the score was inflated considering this record.

From all the reviews I've read, Pitchfork rewards rap projects for being consistent even if it's monotonous in the end. Making a messy but ambitious record is a good way to lose them because it's not just Metro Boomin' or Zaytoven for an hour.