Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

90s Indie Rock • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 5, 2016.

1. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  2. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

for me that's Billie, it's like Malkmus's sweetest sounding verse with the most grating chorus of all time.

matthaber likes this.
  3. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

Both are great but Loveless is worthy of every bit of hype its ever received and more

EngineDown likes this.
  4. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

most under-rated 90's band: Hefner.

5. cwhit

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  6. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

what a weird niche for a list

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  7. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

thank god pitchfork took the time to canonize death cab, elliot smith, modest mouse, and the microphones again. what a relief!

8. cwhit

surprised more k records stuff wasn't listed

9. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

The Glow, pt. 2 was too low

10. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Fucking Tortoise, man. Put on TNT this morning, and it will never cease to amaze me. Could every band use this much marimba?

Yasqueen4 likes this.
  11. cwhit

band is great.
    have you listened to slint or talk talk before? not really in the same realm but two other bands who had a strong influence on post rock

12. Cody

Oh yeah, I have listened to a lot of (and love) both. Look at me not needing to do any immediate further digging! lol

Yeah, Spiderland is a huge influence on me as a songwriter (unoriginal), and the last two Talk Talk records obviously have a reputation preceding them (for good reason, since they do pretty much every sound well). Got into both late, but I"m a fan for sure

cwhit likes this.
  13. cwhit

oh yeah nice! yeah spiderland and spirit of eden (which i actually like more than laughing stock!!!) are classics to me

14. Cody

When we first started our band, we were like 'covers, what do we work on as we write our own shit? "Breadcrumb Trail" and "Never Meant," obviously.' Then we learned both, played both once, went 'these both sound really bad, right?', and have since sorta sworn off covers, haha

cwhit likes this.
  15. Cody

Also holy fuck new Jesus and Mary Chain next year on Warner Bros. March 2017 it said. First LP in 18 yeArs

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I guess they're more alt rock

17. Cody

The Breeders are so awesome. Listening to Pod for the first time and I love it. This thing is chock full of hooks, and makes me realize how serendipitous it is that Kim and Frank found each other since they clearly write in such similar manners. Also, lot of Hop Along influence on this thing, way more than I expected.

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Last Splash is such a killer album

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i had never thought of this because i always think of Hop Along influences in terms of folk musicians + David Bazan, nice

20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I was listening to Bedhead yesterday and basically the entire time I was thinking of Mineral, so I have to listen to that first album more to see it for its own thing lol. I enjoyed it though, the three guitars is pretty engaging because since they never hammer on the chords, the riffs seem to kind of hang there, suspended in space. Pretty different from Mineral in that regard, but the twinkling sort of guitar work mixed with this penchant for giving everything breathing room is pretty spot on, I think

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  21. Cody

Listened to Mars Audiac Quintet for the first time tonight. Very interesting overall (not sure how quickly it's going to push me towards the rest of their discography). Didn't always excite me (though there were some real emotive and climactic moments, especially in the middle segments; see the closing seconds of "Nihilist Assault Group" & "International Colouring Contest"), but this album is cool as hell. Part elevator music, part 'what if everyone in the band Belle and Sebastian was an alien?'. Kind of admire how they can tuck in such self-assured political statements over top such surely happy music.

22. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

This is the thread for me!

Cody likes this.
  23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

how come we have a 90s indie rock thread and a 00's indie rock thread and technically i can't talk about the Smiths and how they compare to REM in so many ways in either of them? smh

Collins likes this.
  24. Collins

Trusted

have you heard the macha loved bedhead ep? the cher cover is my kind of weird.

25. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

i haven't, just looked it up and didn't see it on spotify so i'll have to download it when i get home this weekend. how's it compare to the albums? i'm still messing around with the first one, the slowcore stuff really needs me to give it attention for it to click