Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

90s Indie Rock • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 5, 2016.

1. cherrywaves

Trusted

I've come to the conclusion that I like Change the most. Too bad that was their last record

2. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

3. cwhit

yeah i know, sucks they haven't put out a record in 13 years
    they were so good live a couple years ago, weird that they spent about eight songs worth of the set not playing anything

cherrywaves likes this.
  4. cherrywaves

Trusted

In all seriousness I actually really like "Let's all Go to the Dogs Tonight" but the lyrics on that album...wooof

5. Horrorca

Trusted

this is my 90's indie rock experience

Bardo Pond - Bufo Alvarius
    Pavement - Wowee Zowee
    Placebo - Without You I'm Nothing (MAINSTREAM BUT KILLS THEM ALL)
    American Football - s/t (IS THIS???)
    Bedhead - Transaction de Novo
    Sebadoh - III
    Modest Mouse - Lonesome Crowded West
    Built to Spill - Perfect From Now On
    Ween - The Mollusk
    D Plan - Change
    Stereolab - Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night
    Blur - 13
    Majesty Crush - Love 15 (secret masterpiece here)
    Autumns - The Angel Pool
    Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

6. if emo is invited let's talk about sunny day real estate

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

emo is never invited, that's why it's so emo

EmmanuelSCastle and jordalsh like this.
  8. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

two things:
    1. I know this band is not 90s indie rock in the slightest, but they are both 90s and rock and the people in this thread are the eyes I want this story in front of cause I think you'll be actually interested by it
    2. to fully understand and appreciate this story, you kinda gotta do a little digging and piecing together as far as wikipedia pages so it's a slight bit of work.

Holy fuck, the events surrounding Doug Hopkins and the release of Gin Blossoms' New Miserable Experience are so, so crazy and so, so tragic. Some real shakespearean themes floating around in there. Worth the sleuthing.

Doug Hopkins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    New Miserable Experience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Tragedy of the Gin Blossoms

EmmanuelSCastle and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  9. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is very timely, I gave Diary another chance today and it just clicked and I am actually so excited about that. "In Circles" is when it happened, and also I don't understand calling this album top heavy since to me that implies it falls off severely in the back half, and there are jams THE WHOLE HOUR holy shit Diary is sick.

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This is really dark, depressing. He literally founded this band, and they kicked him out...I don't blame someone for trying to get their band to another level, but that was just not the way to do it, what with literally extorting him when he didn't have much. Fucked up.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. Cody

15,000 dollars for the rights to three 90's songs that are played all the time in just about every bar and grill in just about every major city in the country to this day. Heartbreaking.

12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

still not as sad to me as when Pink Floyd were playing a show and just left Syd Barrett at home
    Syd Barrett's Last Show With Pink Floyd

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

You'd think the thing to do in both of these situations is to try and help your bandmate/friend...sad stuff.

14. Cody

The things I read after from people who've met the Gin Blossoms really paint them as dickheads. Not super surprising.

15. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I promise, there was zero chance of me thinking otherwise after reading that. I really feel for the guy. It's kind of karmic that the Gin Blossoms ended up how they did in terms of stature

16. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

17. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Fuck yeah

18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  19. cwhit

20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Christ

21. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

pavement are the greatest band too ever exist and I will forever hate my self for going to a free Wavves show instead of a pavement/broken social scene concert on Toronto Island.

22. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I'm sorry to hear that :(

23. Emperor Y

Jesus rides beside me Prestigious

Briefly going off topic:

@cwhit i think of you as Mayor of the music forum, so I figure you'd be the one to ask. I want to post about local music in Cincinnati (my hometown) and haven't seen a thread on here where people talk about the artists from their scenes. Have you seen that around here? I'd also be down to make one! I'd like to engage with other people's favorite hometown music as well.

Back to 90s indie rock:Emergency & I >>>>>Loveless

24. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

christ you can't just say stuff like that it goes straight to his head

MikeyPaine and cherrywaves like this.
  25. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Casey "Mr. diy" whitman

Chaplain Tappman likes this.