Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

90s Indie Rock • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cwhit, Aug 5, 2016.

1. abcdefg123

Regular

Worst. But i also hate ska but love Pavement so I may be the wrong person to chime in on this.

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

bomb the music industry covered gold soundz for their rarity comp, does he play it like that version or is it like stripped down acoustic or smth

3. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

listening to that bomb cover for first time now and its seems was same .

4. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

gotcha, yeah I mean there's just no way to improve on what is pretty much a perfect song so no reason to go back to the cover but it's definitely the kind of thing I'd get down to at a show lol

5. russvanderhoof

pizza.~

New to this thread - Anyone listen to Jellyfish? Their track "New Mistake" is probably my favorite song from the 90s.~

6. abcdefg123

Regular

I spend a lot of time driving so I made a playlist of 90’s and early 2000’s indie, alternative, and emo with a few “scene” bands mixed in (plus one Replacements song from the 80's for good measure) but it’s mostly 90’s indie/alternative in case anyone uses Apple Music and would want to check it out.

7. JoshShulkin likes this.
  8. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

pretty good offering for their first stuff in 20 years

9. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

yeah thats not a bad comeback single

10. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

archers were so good when I saw em the other night, if they haven't hit yr city yet you all should go. they played Raleigh days and another new song too (which was also good)

JoshShulkin and phaynes12 like this.
  11. EmmanuelSCastle Apr 23, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 23, 2020)
    EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

in case anyone is looking for anything to watch, been spending my time w these the last few days

/ Fugazi / Instrument (Documental Sub Español)

The Shield Around The K: The Story of K Records (2000)

Wise Old Little Boy

1991 - The Year Punk Broke

the only ones i haven't seen are the microphones one and 1991 the year punk broke. ian mackaye, henry rollins, thurston moore, or some combo of the above are unsurprisingly in most of these. haven't gotten to rewatching Instrument, but that and the Slint one are probably my favorites and the most informative about the bands behind, but still treating the band and its music as art to be considered carefully and not necessarily just biographies. the minutemen one and the slowdive ones are too, but bc of the circumstances of each (d. boon's death, rachel and neil dating when they were younger) it inevitably spends a little more talking about their lives because it affects and informs the art a little more. that's kind of why i didn't include the pixies one, they're all like into middle age, so i get it, but it seems super sanitized and sterile bc it doesn't really shed light on anything about the band it just kind of shows they're still not great at interacting w each other and it's mostly kind of a bummer, at least to me. but i'm pasting it in now bc in the end it IS an honest doc about where they were at in the not so distant past (came out 2006) and there's some interesting footage of their first rehearsal back together loudQuietloud: A Film About the Pixies - Found Tapes

phaynes12 and DaydreamNation like this.
  12. Leftandleaving

13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this is so fucking good, just getting around to it. i didn't love raleigh days but both songs on this single (looks like it's been updated with cruel reminder) are so good.

14. Leftandleaving

Contender and Borat 2: Vengeance like this.
  15. Leftandleaving

16. Leftandleaving

phaynes12 likes this.
  17. matthaber

heard the soft bulletin for first time this past weekend. Unbelievable listen

18. phaynes12

oh wow

19. matthaber

Its weird. Ive heard alot of their singles over the years and even seen them live multiple times but never have dived into their past/any of their albums other than Yoshimi.

And now i hear soft bulletin and its like an instant "how havent i heard this before?" Everything about it is clearly something id love. And TBH im surprised their most famous album is one with such strong DIY aesthetics and production.

20. phaynes12

tbh they have kind of a weird rep, somewhat deserved and somewhat not. they don’t really have any outright bad albums. at worst they’re just fine, at best they’re some the best albums of their generation. new one rules too

21. Leftandleaving

last night I listened to no pocky for kitty for the first time. so good. I see where the get up kids get, uh, everything from now

phaynes12 likes this.
  22. phaynes12

superchunk >>>>>

yung_ting likes this.
  23. Leftandleaving

NPFK is generally considered their best right? I've heard others but never gone through this one

24. phaynes12

i wouldn’t say so. i think foolish is generally considered their best? they also are a pretty consistent band where i wouldn’t say there’s an obvious peak like some others.

the reunion albums have been very good too

Leftandleaving likes this.
  25. Leftandleaving

okay rad, I'll go through the reunion stuff next

foolish :heart:

phaynes12 likes this.