Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

76th Golden Globe Awards Nominees • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dog Fish

Mutt

For people like my conservative, southern parents, I appreciate a film like Green Book. It's a movie that discusses certain issues in a very accessible way. There's no way my parents are watching moonlight or even blindspotting. But hearing positive discussion take place after they watch the film - it's a good thing. I just don't think discounting the movie because it's 'surface-level feel good' or a 'make white people feel good that they're not that racist' is helpful. I'm not necessarily saying that you're completely discounting it, but there's no denying that discounting the film is taking place. I'm aware of the historical accuracy controversy from dr. shirley's family, and that's saddening. However, as Peter tried to communicate during his speech last night, I hope this film does some good.

2. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I didn’t know about how deep the controversy goes so I read up today, and this is a fabulous article that goes over why giving it any kind of credit would be a mistake.

How 'Green Book' And The Hollywood Machine Swallowed Donald Shirley Whole

I can’t wait to see that documentary now. It’s such a shame that this is the major film we got about him instead. Even if it had to be a road movie the quote from his nephew about the trip they took and him recommending Remembrance of Things Past if he wanted to be a writer sounds more compelling and true than anything in this.

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah I mean, just looking at who is billed as the "supporting actor" and who is billed as the "lead actor" says everything there is to know about the movie.

4. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

5. oakhurst Jan 7, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 7, 2019)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

6. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Uh...