Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

76th Golden Globe Awards Nominees • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by ALT/MSC/FAN, Dec 6, 2018.

1. lmao at least it was kinda sorta worth it staying up to see Glenn Close be wonderful

2. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

How does Bryan Singer keep getting away with this?

3. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

At least we can all take comfort in the knowledge that the Globes mean literally nothing and neither Green Book nor Bohemian Rhapsody will be walking away with Best Picture at the Oscars.

Jake Gyllenhaal likes this.
  4. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

So glad I didn't bet on these because I would have lost SO much money.

5. Globes are meaningless but I'm still bitter. All this talk about this being a moment is just talk.

6. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Bohemian Rhapsody is not a good movie and Rami Malek wasn’t great in it either. Golden Globes are weird

7. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Bohemian Rhapsody was okay and Rami Malek was great.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  8. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Olivia Colman winning makes me very happy and I’m probably rooting for her to win the Oscar at this point, although if Elsie manages to get a nom I have to pull for her.

Glenn Close winning is a SHOCK but I do love her. Still need to see The Wife, it wasn’t here very long.

Bohemian Rhapsody winning is also a huge shock but in a terrible way and everyone should be ashamed of themselves.

Green Book winning is also laughable but less truly offensive.

Connor likes this.
  9. Welp, at least we got Darren and Sandra, so it's not all bad, just a lot of stupid.

10. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Rami Malek was good in half the movie and downright terrible in the other. He was great as an older short haired Mercury... beforehand though he was awful. It’s not his fault though he was stuck in a Lifetime movie.

11. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Literally the only explanation I can think of for this is that the HFPA is overwhelmingly british and maybe they only watched the last twenty minutes of the movie

Connor likes this.

13. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I didn’t watch this but did see the headline that Bohemian Rhapsody took best picture for drama, fucking lol

14. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

And in even worse news, Elsie Fisher is getting pummeled on twitter because she was happy Bohemian Rhapsody won. Apparently 15yo's are expected to know about the entire Bryan Singer situation

15. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Ok nevermind it’s just as offensive as BoRhap winning.

16. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

God, twitter is the most depressing place in the world.

17. Anthony_

Jesus Christ, Twitter needs to be burned to the ground

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  18. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Imagine standing up for accountability in film by harassing a literal child.

19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  20. This child more grown up than adults haha fuck

21. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Can’t believe how bad Farrelly’s speech was. Basically got up there and acted out Crash.

22. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

She was the only person I was rooting for to win

23. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Her reaction is so stunningly mature. Trolls don’t deserve anything so tactful but the fact that she’s big enough to not only respond that calmly but ask to still be called out in the future to stay informed is amazing.

Also I’m still kind of vomiting internally at the thought that Peter Farrelly has a best picture winning film now over literally anyone who has ever been snubbed.

24. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

I knew it was a pretty rough year when it came to oscar level films... I mean everyone in the world told me that bohemian rhapsody was the epitome of "as basic as basic bio can be"

25. Anthony_

I'm just wondering how much play Bohemian Rhapsody will get with Oscar voters. The Globes are famously much more interested in nominating crowd-pleasing films and trying to get as many famous people to show up for awards as possible, so something like Bohemian Rhapsody is kind of tailor-made for that show. As much as we and others on the internet (rightly) despise it for its association with Singer and for its utter mediocrity, the movie was an unqualified hit with audiences and made a lot of money, so of course the Globes heaped praise upon it.

The changing demographics of the Academy have already yielded some pretty positive results though (most notably Moonlight beating La La Land for Best Picture two years ago, something I still to this day can't believe occurred). But it has still allowed some really questionable stuff to get undeserved attention, stuff like Green Book. I think Green Book is way more likely to get Oscar attention than BR, simply due to the fact that older Oscar voters can still be won over by the surface-level "feel-good" themes of movies like that. I don't think it will win anything (save maybe Supporting Actor for Mahershala Ali), but it will surely be nominated for a few awards.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is it could go either way for BR. Maybe Rami gets a Best Actor nod, but other than that I wouldn't be surprised if BR gets shut out of the Oscars. I wouldn't be surprised if it does get into Best Picture either, though. I just don't think it is by any means as much of a sure-thing as some might think after the Globes.