Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

74th Golden Globes Discussion • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by TJ Wells, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Wow, totally would have thought it'd be MBTS

2. tucah

not champ Prestigious

FINALLY MOONLIGHT GETS ONE

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  3. hell ya

I audibly cheered at a hollywood awards show, what is happening

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

:heart:33333333

See Moonlight

5. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Wow that was unexpected. But I would've been happy with either this or Manchester. Great surprise win for Moonlight.

6. Anthony_

Maybe Brad Pitt should accept the award too.

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Moonlight is so deserving, great win.

8. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

gonna be a three horse race next month

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. Anthony_

So happy for the Moonlight crew. Was sad that it seemed like they weren't going to win anything.

10. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Yea, definitely expected "Manchester" to get it. Great to see "Moonlight" win.

11. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Moonlight was my favorite film of the year (though I also loved Manchester) so I'm quite pleased.

Mahershala was still robbed though

12. Anthony_

Unfortunately I don't think that will be the case. The Academy is collectively a sucker for movies like La La Land. I think it's already over. Although they have split Picture and Director three of the last four years so maybe Jenkins or Lonergan have a shot there.

I think Ali wins Best Supporting Actor and Jenkins gets Best Adapted Screenplay. MBTS gets Best Actor. That'll be what they have to settle for.

13. Show started with Fallon doing an extended Chris Rock impersonation and ended with MOONLIGHT finally getting that W

what a ride

14. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yay

15. Anthony_

Would love to see Jenkins win at the Oscars instead of Chazelle. Not only was Moonlight better than La La Land, it would make it the fifth year in a row that a director of color won the award. Jenkins would also (finally) be the first African American to win the award.

16. Nathan

Joel and popdisaster00 like this.
  17. So those three movies should divvy up best picture, director, and screenplay or?

18. Anthony_

Thing is, it is hard to get original, live action film musicals made these days. But the stigma of "musicals don't sell" is the primary reason why.

19. Anthony_

Well, because the Oscars separate screenplays by Original and Adapted, Moonlight will be in Adapted while MBTS and La La Land will be competing against each other in Original. So I think Moonlight wins Adapted easily while La La Land will beat MBTS (even though it isn't better) because the wave of Best Picture love for La La Land will drive votes for it. It's why Birdman beat out The Grand Budapest Hotel for Best Original Screenplay two years ago, somehow.

As for Director, splitting it with Picture is still not the norm, although it happens more often than people think. And, like I said, it's happened three of the last four year (with Birdman being the exception) so it appears to be occurring more often recently. Not out of the question, is my point. Personally I think both MBTS and Moonlight are deserving of both awards.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lot less hard when the musical is harmless, about Hollywood, starring two white superstars and directed by a dude who already made it to the Oscars tho

21. Anthony_

Doesn't change the fact that my point was that there is a self-imposed stigma on original, live-action musicals that prevents more from getting made. It shouldn't basically require all those things to get one made.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

There are modern musicals, Magic Mike, Step Up, animated films etc. this is being viewed as a "prestige" film meant to be taken seriously, though

23. Nathan

Last year's Chi-raq was a much bolder, harder to make musical than La La Land.

(much better, too)

Contender likes this.
  24. polyfilla

who can never be sure

So much love for Donald - it was his night. Atlanta is one of the best things to come out of the terrible year that was 2016

25. Anthony_ Jan 8, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 8, 2017)
    Anthony_

One last time: live-action, original musicals are exceedingly difficult to make these days because there is a stigma attached to musicals that they "don't sell" or that nobody wants to see them. That stigma makes it so that only something like La La Land (white, non-challenging, about Hollywood, with big movie stars) could get this kind of attention. This is a bad thing and I would like to see it changed. I don't think La La Land is "bold" or that it was "brave" to make it. I think it proves my point that musicals are so hard to get made that this is being held up as the be-all end-all (even though I did like the film a lot).

I hope I've (finally) made myself clear. I really don't know how else to say it.