Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Vince Staples - Dark Times (May 24, 2024)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by tdlyon, May 19, 2024.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Serenity Now likes this.
  2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

To be honest, I wasn't crazy about Ramona Park and s/t is good but not as good as his older stuff, but Vince has a good enough track record and such a compelling artistic vision that I'll always be hyped for what he's doing next

CarpetElf and trevorshmevor like this.
  3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Not in love with the single after first listen, kinda just feels like more of the "rapping and bored" vibes, and I really don't like the spoken word-type chorus, if you can even call it a chorus

4. trevorshmevor May 20, 2024
    (Last edited: May 20, 2024)
    Into the single. Ramona Park was a miss for me, but as long as his projects continue to have distinct visions that set one apart from the next then I’ll always be hyped for more

5. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Meh

6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Song is ok, I don’t really feel anything for it but hope it makes more sense in context. I’m just at the point where it seems like he doesn’t even want to do this lol

irthesteve likes this.
  7. ragnarokstar

Regular

Im not sure he will ever be able to top Big Fish Theory for me. Excited to listen though. Love a short album rollout!

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  8. eagles1139

Regular

song was cool, 100% sounds like a slightly darker version of a late-era Mac Miller song. Even Vince's flow at the start of the first verse reminds me of Mac so much

dustman likes this.
  9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Loved S/T, but didn't give much time to Ramona Park. Enjoy this new song so I'm excited to hear the rest.

10. arewehavingfunyet

Trusted

Pretty cool this came out of nowhere and is coming out on Friday, hyped!

I also think S/T is my favorite Vince album but I did listen to Ramona Park a lot when it dropped.

Serenity Now and Aaron Mook like this.
  11. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

yeah this is doing nothing for me. hope it hits better in context w/ the LP. but also hope this isn't indicative of the direction he's going

12. Liked but didn't love Ramona Park but I think S/T is his best. This is aight, his vocals seem low in the mix. Cautiously optimistic, he usually comes through with something solid. Lol at that Donda artwork though

13. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

A man of the west coast

14. There’s a bunch coming out this week that I’m very excited for, happy to get a head start on this at 6:00 so I have less of a decision to make at 9:00

15. eagles1139

Regular

16. CobraKidJon

17. 35 min, more than I expected tbh. Dunno why I had short album vibes from this haha

Off to a great start, Black&Blue rules

18. eagles1139

Regular

Loving the sound of these first couple tracks

19. trevorshmevor May 23, 2024
    (Last edited: May 23, 2024)
    Children’s Song beat is wild

20. The end of Etouffee! I needed that to go on way longer haha

He’s got that Q-Tip flow on the first half of Justin

Very neat little perfect loop of the last track going back into the first. Imagine if the vinyl had a locked groove

This is a bit sleepier than I needed it to be after the last one, but across the board I think he sounds better here and I like the instrumentation more

Zilla likes this.
  21. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

can't check this out til tomorrow but very bummed to hear the term "sleepier". that was my biggest fear.

22. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Really like “Children’s Song,” “Etoufee,” and “Little Homies.” But yeah, a lot of this is still pretty sleepy.

stvvvn and trevorshmevor like this.
  23. CobraKidJon

This one won’t ever touch his best but I do enjoy it a lot more than Ramona Park just because he cuts out the filler.

24. Blainer93

Prestigious Supporter

This is pretty good

Serenity Now and Aaron Mook like this.
  25. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Cautiously excited to listen