Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

HIM (Official Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by xapplexpiex, Apr 6, 2023.

1. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

This band was like the official band of Hot Topic. The stereotypical goth band. I still replay their albums on occasion for the nostalgia. Their album Dark Light is my favorite. Anyone else a fan?

2. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Lovesongs and Razorblade Romance all day baby

justin., skogsraet and xapplexpiex like this.
  3. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I’m listening to Venus Doom for the first time in a decade. This album goes fuckin slaps.

4. Smee22

Regular

Check out VV - Ville is continuing the sound on his own solo, playing a lot of HIM songs on tour too. It’s not quite as good, but still good.

justin. and xapplexpiex like this.
  5. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Oh shit, I never checked out his solo stuff. Glad to hear it’s still good.

6. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Haven’t heard or thought about this band in forever. May dive in to their (his?) discography.

I think the only song I’ve knowingly heard is the butterfly one? Butterfly in the title? Something about butterfly wings? And no, not the Crazytown song, even though that song is a true gem of course.

xapplexpiex likes this.
  7. Smee22

Regular

he did some Finnish folk for a bit, but the recent VV album Neon Noir is what I’m referring to

xapplexpiex likes this.
  8. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

That’s from the album Dark Light, which is goth pop rock. Venus Doom came after and is a different sound, more rock and a heavier sound. I love them both.

9. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Only ever liked this band cause of the cky videos two decades ago and Jimmy Pop signing them for releasing Razorblade Romance. That album is stellar and a few other songs. I remember seeing them live in like 2006 and it was honestly the worst performance I ever saw.

10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Always loved "Join Me in Death" but never really got into much else. My best friend from school used to be a huge fan.

11. ragnarokstar

Regular

The heartagram was my first tattoo when i was 15 lol. I still listen regularly. Neon Noir has been getting lots of plays this year.

Smee22 likes this.
  12. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

I think maybe only 20% of HIM fans got into the band without influence from Bam Margera. He basically stole their trademark, but promoted the heck out of the band.

13. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

seeing ville tomorrow, can't wait. i might cry.

14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I was a huge HIM fan in the 2010s when I was a teen and kept up with them till their breakup. I saw them on their farewell tour and thought they sounded pretty good but it was very obvious they were done with the band.

Venus Doom > Greatest Love Songs vol. 666 > Razorblade Romance > Dark Light > Love Metal > Deep Shadows and Brilliant Highlights > Screamworks > Tears on Tape

I’ll get around to listening to Neon Noir…eventually

xapplexpiex likes this.
  15. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I just revisited dark light the other day. I remember stumbling upon the band and immediately loved that record, it was so different from what I thought it sounded like based on all the goth kid t shirts at school lol. Never got too much into the other records but really loved the heck out of the ones I did like.

16. justin. Apr 9, 2023
    (Last edited: Apr 9, 2023)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

This was my favorite band growing up. I have mixed opinions of their last two albums, but this band was pretty damn unique and had their own thing going.

GLV666, Razorblade Romance, DS&BH, and Love Metal is a very solid run. Venus Doom is also up there. Listening to them now does gives me a sense of cringe when it comes to the lyrics but the music holds up.

I very much credit this band to my abstinence of drugs and alcohol as well. Valo never wrote about them explicitly and that was very influential for me during my junior and senior high years when I was surrounded by peers who were getting into that stuff.

Anyway, Ville’s solo album isn’t half bad. A few solid good tunes on it. It sounds a lot like HIM, which checks out because he wrote Venus Doom by himself in a cabin.

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I also went to their 2006 tour. IIRC Aiden opened up for them? Such a terrible band. Lol

But, yeah, the only concert by HIM that left me in awe was their farewell tour and it’s probably due to the emotions I had saying goodbye to a band that was so crucial to me for the last 14 years.

18. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Maybe I saw them earlier than 2006 than. I remember Soil opening for them, not Aiden. And admittedly, I enjoy one of Aidens albums. Lol

19. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Soil? Bizarre. I would not have pegged those two bands touring together.

20. I'm only familiar with the big singles and Screamworks so I have a lot to catch up to. Seeing that name instantly takes me back to the 00s as I remember my brother being a fan and sporting a zipped hoodie with the Deep Shadows artwork, which I always found iconic.

21. buttsfamtbh

Trusted

Ville had a great set on Saturday. It was like one solo song, one HIM song and then like that the rest of the night. Played all the classics you would want to hear. Highly recommend going if he comes to your town.

justin. and ragnarokstar like this.
  22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Contender likes this.
  23. justin. Apr 17, 2023
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2023)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Jealous. How was his vocal range? Pretty fresh?

I've been watching some recent interviews and he seems so much more cheerful. I know he quit some of his old habits and started getting healthy. Making his own music seems to have helped as well. Happy for the guy.

buttsfamtbh and Smee22 like this.
  24. justin. Apr 17, 2023
    (Last edited: Apr 17, 2023)
    justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Venus Doom
    Screamworks
    VV
    Deep Shadows
    GLS666
    Love Metal
    Razorblade
    Dark Light
    Tears on Tape

skogsraet likes this.
  25. Smee22

Regular

Glad to see screamworks get some love lately.