Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Chorus.Fm Weekly Movie Club

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Morrissey Apr 6, 2023
    (Last edited: Aug 28, 2023)
    Morrissey

Trusted

Members so far: myself, @CarpetElf @youll be fine @OhTheWater @Aaron Mook @Tim @chris @PepsiOne @jkauf @imthesheriff @Greg @Daniel @aoftbsten @bradsonemanband @flask @Meerkat @irthesteve @cshadows2887 @Long Century @devenstonow @I Am Mick @TSLROCKS @michael_gatto @George
    Rules for picking your movie:
    1. It must be easily available. That means a popular streaming service and/or digital rental. No one is buying some import DVD to watch it.
    2. The film should be older than two years old. We don't need to repeat recent conversations.
    3. The film should not be extremely well-known. There is no need to discuss a blockbuster like Avatar or a renowned canon masterpiece like Citizen Kane.

Each Monday will be a new recommendation from the chosen member. The next member will choose the movie next Monday. I will skip myself, so @CarpetElf should choose a movie by Monday April 10 and @youll be fine should post his/her choice on Monday April 17. We will go in the order of the posted list and new members will be added to the bottom until we finish the list and rotate back. I tagged everyone who said they wanted to join already but anyone else is welcome.

OhTheWater and youll be fine like this.
  2. Morrissey

Trusted

Also, when picking the movie, it might be nice to tell us why you picked it and where it can be most easily watched.

3. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Just to make sure I read it right:

Each person will get one pick to start, and then after their week they’ll be able to come back here and add another to the queue? And, it’ll go in posted order (beyond the initial couple), unless there’s a good reason to do otherwise at some point?

4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I will actually be out of the country that week so you can move me to the bottom of the list please. Will still attempt to watch whatever film is picked by the user that week

5. Morrissey

Trusted

One movie per week. We will skip people as necessary.

6. Morrissey

Trusted

I'll move you back two weeks. @OhTheWater will handle the April 17 movie.

youll be fine likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh wow didnt expect to be first. Okay then.

I'm choosing Carol (2015) dir. Todd Haynes.

I was really looking forward to this when it came out. Never got around to it. Now it's 2023 somehow. Figured I'd go with something I haven't seen yet.

8. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Dope, haven’t seen that yet either

CarpetElf likes this.
  9. chris

Trusted Supporter

Hell ya, will be finally coming off my watchlist

10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I'm in

11. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

Sounds like fun. Anything that needs to be rented I'll be adding to my Plex, so hit me up if you want an invite.

chris and OhTheWater like this.
  12. George

Trusted Prestigious

Sounds fun! I haven’t seen Carol since like 2016, so overdue a revisit, I liked it a lot at the time.

13. devenstonow

Noobie

I'm in but we should just flat out specify what streaming services are allowed or else I'm gonna try REALLY hard to be arrogant about it

14. Morrissey

Trusted

Carol is available to rent on multiple services.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I will only make Tubi picks

CarpetElf likes this.
  16. George

Trusted Prestigious

I’m a filthy pirate, so I’ll be fine with anything that’s selected.

SpyKi and Long Century like this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Is criterion off limits? I can also download to Plex if needed

18. George

Trusted Prestigious

I have Carol uploaded onto my Google Drive now. If anybody is having trouble finding it on streaming, or via other means, please feel free to send me a PM and I can share a link with you.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Criterion streaming is fine. Physical disc is not.

20. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Carol is streaming on Netflix

21. George

Trusted Prestigious

Re-watched Carol. I think it's definitely a film that works a lot better in the dark of the cinema in a big screen, rather than watching it on my laptop, while laying on the sofa in the afternoon. Still very good though.

It simmers and bubbles for the most part, full of whispers and charged moments, constructed out of those little times where you lock eye contact, or brief physical contact with another person. These moments may feel imperceptible to others, but feel so crucial and monumental to you.

Doing so, it creates such a profound sense of intimacy and sensuality, made up of these little moments. It remains chaste for a long time, so when it does escalate from sensual to sexual, it feels like we've been on this journey with them, and is as jubilant and affirming as a sex scene, something that feels like we've been waiting for.

Tim likes this.
  22. Tim

I still don’t really understand what a Plex is, tbh.

23. Daniel

Party Mom Supporter

Say you had some media on your computer you wanted to share with others. It's essentially like a personal streaming service for your media in a nice user interface and media player. If I sent you an invite to my server you would have to download the Plex app on your smart TV or whatever device and make a user name and you'd have access to all the media on my server as long as my computer is turned on. It would be like any other streaming service where you could browse and directly play anything on any server you have access to and it's free.

Sorry if that makes no sense, I'm getting bashed by Covid and the brain fog is real.

Tim likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Plex rules but my son keeps unplugging my computer so it’s off half the time

25. Tim

So, it’s almost like a mix between streaming and torrenting?

(Torrenting is another thing I never really got into. Very briefly dabbled in it, but didn’t really have the internet and computer power to justify it.)