Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Weathervanes (June 9, 2023) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by DaydreamNation, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Dare you to not play it on repeat.

2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

oh god oh fuck

3. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Song is great! So excited to get verification we're getting a new record this year!!

Brother Beck and DaydreamNation like this.
  4. zmtr

Trusted

song is UNREAL

5. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

great song. man. he's back.

6. this is SO good

7. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Really like the song itself, but I'm a little tired of how Dave Cobb makes him sound. (I'm assuming this is a Dave Cobb production, because it sure as shit sounds like one.) I just want bigger, lusher production for him at this point! They were definitely tilting toward that on Reunions, but this sounds more in the vein of The Nashville Sound.

Idk, I just wish most artists would be more adventurous with their producer choices. I get having a simpatico relationship, and I like Cobb's work a lot. Just feel like someone else could really bring something great out of Jason that we haven't heard yet. I remember him praising Blake Mills when I interviewed him in 2015, and that would be a fucking dynamite combination.

8. See I didn't notice Cobb mentioned anywhere or see him in the studio footage, so I thought that maybe Jason had finally tried someone different this time around, but I agree it definitely sounds like Cobb

Reunions was the first album that really came close to capturing what the band sounds live so I hope that progression isn't lost on this one

9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

If it's not Cobb, I feel like Jason probably self-produced, but he's learned so much of his album-making habits from Cobb that it still sounds like his past few. The album Jason produced for Josh Ritter definitely sounds like a Dave Cobb production.

I don't want to be too down on it. I like this song and all these people! And I'm sure the album will be great. I definitely had some complaints about the singles from Reunions and that ended up being probably my second favorite Isbell album. I just think there's something in Isbell's potential that he's not unlocking because he's stayed so much in the same zone of collaborators for the past decade. I feel similarly about Chris Stapleton.

DaydreamNation likes this.
  10. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Jason produced.

Producer: Jason Isbell
    Engineer: Gena Johnson
    Engineer: Matt Ross-Spang
    Engineer: Michael Bethancourt
    Engineer, Additional Studio Producer: Matt Pence
    Assistant Engineer: Austin Brown
    Mixing Engineer: Sylvia Massy
    Mixing Engineer: Ian Rickard
    Mastering Engineer: Pete Lyman
    Assistant Engineer: Daniel Bacigalupi

11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

12. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Got the red vinyl. I love that cover art!

13. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

OH SHIT - LOVE THAT COVER ART

14. If I ever get a tattoo it will be the anchor bird logo

Brother Beck and SuddenUrgeJoey like this.
  15. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

16. Sean Murphy and Brother Beck like this.
  17. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

DaydreamNation and Brother Beck like this.
  18. shea

RIP Supporter

[​IMG]

19. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

20. KC on my birthday, too bad it’s a fest tho

21. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

omg a long island date i may weep

22. shea

RIP Supporter

LaGrange??? Woof. I'd rather go to Birmingham at that point.

23. SuddenUrgeJoey

queer as fuck. Supporter

Brother Beck likes this.
  24. jdr2187

jdr2187

Song rules.

Back on the producer topic. I’ve always wished Jason would work with Andrija Tokic and make an album at the Bomb Shelter in Nashville.

25. Upon further reflection, Isbell self produced the Georgia Blue comp too. There were a few weird choices here and there but overall that sounded really great to me—certainly more life in the tracks than Nashville Sound or even a lot of Reunions. Not sure how indicative that is of how this record will sound but I’m pretty hopeful this first song might not be representative of the whole thing’s sound.@Craig Manning get an advance and let us know dude