Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Weekly topic: Best year for movies (21st century).

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Morrissey

Trusted

What year was just stacked to you?

I was going through old lists and 2019 is such an incredible year. The Irishman is at the top, but there is Transit and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Parasite and Portrait of a Lady on Fire. It is so good that great films like Marriage Story and La Flor and Uncut Gems and Ad Astra and High Life are second-tier. It looks even better being the last normal year before the descent into darkness.

A lot of people will say 2007 and it deserves it too. There Will Be Blood/No Country for Old Men/I'm Not There/Syndromes and a Century/4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days/Zodiac is a compelling lineup.

2. SpeckledSouls

Trusted

What year did Dark Skies come out?

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

2012 pretty easily for me

4. Morrissey

Trusted

Why? I assume Spring Breakers if you count it as a 2012 film.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

That, Holy Motors, The Master, The Act of Killing, Tchoupitoulas

6. soggytime

Trusted

There are a few big contenders. I'm looking at the amount iconic movies across genres. I believe a great movie year is one that is a complete film diet, covering all the bases, something for everyone.

2001 - Mulholland Drive, In the Mood of Love, Memento, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring, Ocean's Eleven, The Royal Tenenbaums, Shrek, Monsters, Inc, Gosford Park, Zoolander, Wet Hot American Summer, Freddy Got Fingered, Not Another Teen Movie, Rat Race, Moulin Rouge, Vanilla Sky, Josie and the Pussycats, Super Troopers, Training Day, Ali, Black Hawk Down, The Piano Teacher, The Fast and the Furious, Amelie, Millennium Actress, Ghost World, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Sexy Beast, Donnie Darko, Joe Dirt, In the Bedroom

2004 - Before Sunset, Spider-Man 2, The Incredibles, Anchorman, Kill Bill Vol. 2, Collateral, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Mean Girls, Team America: World Police, Shaun of the Dead, 2046, Ocean's Twelve, The Village, Million Dollar Baby, The Aviator, Dogville, Dodgeball, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle, Shrek 2, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zhissou, The Spongebob Squarepants Movie, the Manchurian Candidate, Man on Fire, Miracle, National Treasure, Napoleon Dynamite, Saw, White Chicks, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Internal Affairs, Dawn of the Dead, Primer

2007 - There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men, Zodiac, Superbad, Walk Hard, Michael Clayton, Hot Rod, Hot Fuzz, Grindhouse, Ratatouille, The Assassination of Jesse James, Lars and the Real Girl, Gone Baby Gone, Transformers, Hostel Part II, Knocked Up, Sunshine, We Own the Night, The Host, Eastern Promises, Paprika, Persepolis, Lust Caution, Juno, Into the Wild, The Bourne Ultimatum, Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix, I Am Legend, 3:10 To Yuma, The Simpsons Movie, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Beowulf, Enchanted

2013 - The Wind Rises, The Wolf of Wall Street, Frances Ha, Spring Breakers, Before Midnight, Short Term 12, This is the End, Anchorman 2, Inside Llewyn Davis, 12 Years a Slave, gravity, Her, The Place Beyond the Pines, Blue is the Warmest Colour, The Act of Killing, iron Man 3, The World's End, Fast & Furious 6, Pain & Gain, Frozen, Captain Phillips

2019 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman, Uncut Gems, Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Midsommar, Marriage Story, Little Women, Us, Avengers: Endgame, The Farewell, The Lighthouse, Ford V Ferrari, Toy Story 4, High Flying Bird, Good Boys, Booksmart, Knives Out, Hustlers, Ad Astra, Her Smell, A Hidden Life, High Life, Alita: Battle Angel, John Wick Chapter 3, Under the Silver Lake, Dark Waters, the Art of Self Defense, The Beach Bum, Ready or Not, Dolemite Is My name

I think 2004 is the most important for my upbringing.... But I am going to go with 2001 as the best year of the 21st Century thus far.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.