Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

63rd Grammy Awards (2021) • Page 7

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I think the context of the thread you're pulling this quote from is important, and I wish you'd quoted the whole post instead of just a piece of it, but okay, here's my rebuttal:

I have heard "Blinding Lights" a fraction as much as I heard "Old Town Road" last year. Like, maybe five percent as much. That's just my personal anecdotal experience, and I'll acknowledge that "Old Town Road" is probably an unfair comparison since that's a once-in-a-generation hit that topped the charts for 16 weeks. But I do wonder if the weirder Grammy nominations this year are the result of a more segmented year in the overall musical cultural experience. Something that had a clear "quarantine" narrative like folklore may have had more of a pull for voters than the big ubiquitous hits, simply by virtue of voters hearing those songs less and witnessing their impact less than they would have in any other year.

This is actually exactly the point I was making in the post quoted, which was a response to someone arguing that Taylor Swift's album didn't have a huge impact on radio and was therefore an odd frontrunner to win Album of the Year. Here's the full post:

2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i would go so far as to say blinding lights is the biggest song we’ve had in a number of years, full stop. it easily his biggest song and he’s one of the biggest artists around. didnt it set the record for the most weeks in the top 5 songs on billboard?

and that’s just in this country. it’s had massive chart appeal in europe and latin america

3. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

"Blinding Lights" hasn't been as ubiquitous as "Uptown Funk", "Despacito" or "Old Town Road". No chance. Those were utterly unavoidable in the wild. It's a massive, massive hit. But it's not "the biggest song in a number of years"

It's definitely surprising that it's not in record of the year category.

For the record, the Grammys have definitely been suspect on race, but half the Record of the Year category is black this year. Seems odd to peg that as the reason for him missing.

Craig Manning likes this.
  4. manoverboard365

Trusted

Gotta be honest, I think I've only heard Blinding Lights like 3 times. I can't even think of how it goes. All I remember is that it had that 80s feel.
    Blows my mind to see that it has almost 2 billion streams on Spotify! As someone said before I think bar/retail being closed most of the year, along with never listening to the radio, has really made me disconnected to what's popular and whats not.

5. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I strongly disagree with that last part, I think the album's incredible. I've been listening to The Weeknd since 2012 and I think this is probably his best album

Joe4th and jorbjorb like this.
  6. phaynes12

o
    like others have said, i think that’s due to there not being a wild to be unavoidable in this year

radio, tv spots, soundtrack stuff ... it has absolutely been unavoidable. charts don’t lie haha

7. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I wouldn't even say Blinding Lights is as ubiquitous as Can't Feel My Face was

8. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

PatRFinley likes this.
  9. phaynes12

maybe she should post about kyle kuzma or sample jesse lacey more next year

Mary V and Contender like this.
  10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I feel like The Weeknd got fucked but not everyone that didn’t get nominated did.

phaynes12 likes this.
  11. cshadows2887

I dunno. I don't think Sturgill Simpson and H.E.R. necessarily raked in the TV viewers. I really wish pop stars wouldn't get so sour grapes about it all.

12. PauLo

43% Burnt

When your song is attached to a massive tiktok trend like Blinding Lights was, I should think it will attract a lot of people wondering what the song is like outside of the 30 seconds people are dancing to

13. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

I mean it even it’s own Fortnite emote.

14. PauLo

43% Burnt

I have to be honest, I had no idea it was a trend until my mate mentioned it to me about a month ago. I thought it was just a video of that one old dude dancing with his sons, had no idea how massive the meme was. But then she thought it was a song from the 80s, so we both looked silly haha

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

bradsonemanband likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

17. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. irthesteve

19. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

They probably should just make it completely virtual. A month later isn't going to be any different.

mad likes this.
  20. cancel the grammy's forever tbh

mad, smowashere and JM95 like this.
  21. irthesteve

agreed.

22. cshadows2887

Y'know, you could just let them happen AND not care about them...?

phaynes12 likes this.
  23. phaynes12

i want them to happen so riley wins a grammy. cancelling the grammy's cancels that so I don't support it.

cherrywaves, Mary V and Drew Beringer like this.
  24. irthesteve

but... isn't that just "ignoring racism" instead of being anti-racist? The Grammys are a racist institution, this is proven year after year.

25. cshadows2887

Isn’t canceling the show rather than trying to make the winners more diverse also ignoring it though?