Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

63rd Grammy Awards (2021) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by ItsAndrew, Nov 23, 2020.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

2019: "Old Town Road" - nominated for Record but lost
    2018: "God's Plan" - nominated for Record and Song but lost
    2017: "Shape of You" - X
    2016: "Love Yourself" - nominated for Song but lost
    2015: "Uptown Funk" - won Record
    2014: "Happy" - X
    2013: "Thrift Shop" - X
    2012: "Somebody That I Used to Know" - won Record
    2011: "Rolling in the Deep" - won Record and Song
    2010: "Tik Tok" - X
    2009: "Boom Boom Pow" - X
    2008: "Low" - X
    2007: "Irreplaceable" - nominated for Song but lost
    2006: "Bad Day" - X
    2005: "We Belong Together" - nominated for Record and Song but lost

2. This is primarily why I don't disagree with his anger about the snub.

Especially when records like that Bieber album got multiple nods (not in the big 3, but just in general).

I wish artists didn't take the Grammy's so seriously, but I can't pretend I don't understand why they do. I do.

Zilla and Mary V like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

This is all true, but I guess what I'm getting at is that the Grammys are only ever going to be able to recognize a minuscule percentage of the deserving work out there. Unlike with, say, movies or TV shows or theater, there is just too much music to ever fairly encapsulate it with one annual awards show, especially one that wants to be the big all-genre tent. So I'm confused about why we/the artists/the industry at large give this body any power, or would actually let the outcome of the awards influence any decisions about booking, funding, etc. I can't really imagine that not getting those nominations is going to impact The Weeknd's career in any meaningful way, considering everything he has already accomplished and the visibility he already has.

You're right. I apologize. I shouldn't have posted that.

What I was trying to get at (and this isn't just him) is that I wish there was more pushback against the culture of entitlement that has built up around mainstream music over the past 5-10 years. I've seen too many music journalists I respect get doxed or receive death threats for daring to criticize hugely famous artists to view this kind of public reaction as anything other than a piece of that toxic equation. Artists absolutely have the right to feel disappointed about not getting recognized for their hard work or even about getting a bad review, but I think they need to recognize the power they now wield as enormously public figures with big, loyal, often toxic fanbases. Obviously, it's different when the ire of stan culture goes against an institution like the Grammys than when it goes against one specific writer or podcaster, but I think it's a piece of the same puzzle.

Just off the top of my head, "Shape of You" didn't get a nod in Record or Song of the Year (or Album of the Year) and that was the top charting pop song of its year two. Mainstream performance does not always equal Grammy shoe-in. Sometimes it does, but not always.

4. I get what you're saying, but... the overwhelming presence of whiteness at these shows means that there are gonna be cases of it happening to white dudes too, but it's simply never gonna be the same thing when it happens to non-white artists. Especially Black ones. Can't really compare the two since the data is so slim in one column (non-white artists with Grammy noms) and overwhelming in the other (white artists with Grammy noms).

5. Craig Manning

Completely true. I was just noting that it's not unheard of for it to happen, even to a major white pop star.

Anna Acosta likes this.
  6. Craig Manning

Sometimes I forgot how massive "Bad Day" was...

7. cshadows2887

Of those above misses:

"Shape of You" won Best Pop Solo Performance
    "Happy" won Best Pop Solo Performance for a Live Version and Best Music Video for the video
    "Thrift Shop" won Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song
    "Boom Boom Pow" was nominated for Best Dance Recording and won for Best Music Video
    "Low" was nominated for best Rap/Sung collaboration
    "Bad Day" was nominated for best Male Pop Vocal Performance

"Tik Tok" was completely shut out.

(Worth noting that the Grammys used to have WAY more nominees and have contracted recently, so something ike "Bad Day's nom probably doesn't happen now)

8. I will forever think of "Bad Day" as the song they played whenever someone got voted off of American Idol because at the time I thought it was strictly done to add insult to injury (and tween me thought that was hilarious)

9. Craig Manning

YEP. I always thought “Bad Day” was a pretty savage choice for the “voted off the island” song. A year later, when they switched to “Home” by Daughtry, it was much less funny.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  10. It’s a bummer that the Grammys hold Tame Impala as the token Australian artist - this country is flooding with talent and everyone knows it. I love when people reach out to me and say things like, “the music coming out of Australia is incredible, what’s going on down there?”. The truth is that the talent has always been here, but the recognition hasn’t.

CarpetElf, phaynes12 and Carrow like this.
  11. cshadows2887

Not disagreeing with the overall sentiment.

Just remembering when they (amazingly) gave it to Esperanza Spalding over Bieber and his fans sent her death threats.

12. cshadows2887

The Grammys get a lot of deserved shit, but the last few years I really like how much they're willing to go to the mat for artists I've never heard of like Jacob Collier and H.E.R. Literally the best purpose the Recording Academy can serve.

Like when the CMAs made Chris Stapleton a star all by themselves.

Craig Manning likes this.
  13. cherrywaves

Trusted

This is honestly the first year I can remember looking at some of the major categories (album of the year, etc.) and having no clue who certain artists were. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of Jacob Collier or Black Pumas before today

14. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

mad and Contender like this.
  15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

16. The Grammys are a joke and always have been. Just another garbage awards show IMO.

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

real ones know this is a King Giz and the Liz Wiz household

Drew Beringer and Mary V like this.
  18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

also give Riley and Power Trip the grammy and the rest will be worth it

19. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

That’s awesome! The production in that album is so warm, it’s great to see it rewarded.

Honestly I can’t get worked up about the noms. Good when there’s a nice recognition but they’re a lost cause.

Craig Manning likes this.
  20. Craig Manning

It's such a cool, unexpected nomination. Did not expect to see that album show up anywhere, let alone there, but it was one of the pleasant surprises yesterday.

Drew Beringer likes this.
  21. Philll

Trusted

22. PauLo

43% Burnt

I still can’t believe I haven’t won a grammy. All because I’ve never recorded any of the music I’ve thought of. Disgraceful.

23. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

especially because they aren't that good

Mary V and Sean Murphy like this.
  24. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

Contender likes this.
  25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

High profile acts should protest IMHO