Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

2007 in music.

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by phaynes12, Mar 28, 2022.

1. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade won 2006. Let's see who wins 2007. Everyone vote Will Smith.

Billboard chart-topping albums of 2007:
    Nas - Hip Hop is Dead (cont. from 2006)
    Omarion - 21 (cont. from 2006)
    Soundtrack - Dreamgirls (cont. from 2006)
    Daughtry - Daughtry (cont. from 2006)
    Pretty Ricky - Late Night Special
    Norah Jones - Not Too Late
    Fall Out Boy - Infinity on High
    The Notorious B.I.G. - Greatest Hits
    Musiq Soulchild - Luvanmusiq
    Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
    Tim McGraw - Let It Go
    Various Artists - Now! Vol. 24
    Avril Lavigne - The Best Damn Thing
    Ne-Yo - Because of You
    Michael Buble - Call Me Irresponsible
    Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
    Maroon 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long
    R. Kelly - Double Up
    T Pain - Epiphany
    Toby Keith - Big Dog Daddy
    Bon Jovi - Lost Highway
    Miley Cyrus - Meet Miley Cyrus
    TI - TI vs. TIP
    Various Artists - Now! Vol. 25
    Common - Finding Forever
    UGK - UGK
    Cast - High School Musical 2
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Reba - Duets
    Rascal Flatts - Still Feels Good
    Bruce Springsteen - Magic
    Kid Rock - Rock n Roll Jesus
    Carrie Underwood - Carnival Ride
    Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden
    Jay Z - American Gangster
    Alicia Keys - As I Am
    Josh Groban - Noel

Billboard chart-topping singles of 2007:
    Beyonce - Irreplaceable (cont. from 2006)
    Nelly Furtado - Say It Right (cont. from 2006)
    Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around Comes Around (cont. from 2006)
    Mims - This is Why I'm Hot
    Fergie - Glamorous (cont. from 2006)
    Akon - Don't Matter (cont. from 2006)
    Timbaland - Give It To Me
    Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend
    Maroon 5 - Makes Me Wonder
    T Pain - Buy U a Drank
    Rihanna - Umbrella
    Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah
    Sean Kingston - Beautiful Girls
    Fergie - Big Girls Don't Cry
    Soulja Boy - Crank That
    Kanye West - Stronger
    Chris Brown - Kiss Kiss
    Alicia Keys - No One

What are your top three albums for 2007? We will keep a running tally and eventually have some sort of bracket. For me it would be:
    1. Radiohead - In Rainbows
    2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    3. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

What are some of the forgotten gems from the year? What is overrated? What did you discover at a young age and what did you discover later?

YEARS IN MUSIC • forum.chorus.fm

cshadows2887 likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

1. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    2. Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3
    3. Bomb the Music Industry - Get Warmer

Good stuff:
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Jay Z - American Gangster
    Kanye West - Graduation
    The National - Boxer
    Okkervil River -The Stage Names
    Panda Bear - Person Pitch
    Burial - Untrue
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam

cshadows2887 and George like this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Radiohead has entered the speed force.

4. SpyKi Mar 28, 2022
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2022)
    SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

1. Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me
    2. Fightstar - One Day Son, This Will All Be Yours
    3. City Sleeps - Not an Angel

I did not realise how many albums I loved came out in 2007, what a fucking year!

Even If It Kills Me is one of the most important albums ever to me, the lyrics connected with me a lot during a very difficult period of my life and the title track in particular made me feel less alone and more hopeful. Musically it's a perfect evolution of their sound for me, adding more poppy melodies and cleaner production.

Fightstar go heavier and softer on their second record, stretching their sound in all directions. They have some of their heaviest, softest and poppiest material on here and it's all fantastic. Some of my favourite guitar tones ever on here.

City Sleeps have always just felt special to me, they have such a great sound and the vocalist has one of my favourite voices ever. I wish they made more music but I've been listening to this album for 15 years now and it never gets old. Songs like the title track or "Sleep With Me" just feel like magic.

Honourable mentions;

4. Emarosa - This is Your Way Out; This is easily my favourite Emarosa release, I love the sound they had on this album and Chris Roetter's vocals are fantastic. I wish they'd stuck with this lineup and sound for longer but at least I've got this EP.

5. Moving Mountains - Pneuma; This has grown on my so much over the last few years, such a fantastic record. It's the perfect mix of post-rock and emo.

6. Anberlin - Cities; The best Anberlin album, really love the evolution of their sound on here. Some really fantastic songs.

7. Epica - The Divine Conspiracy; My favourite Epica album, they get heavier, more progressive and add more interesting influences to their sound. Some incredible vocals from Simone on here!

8. The Birthday Massacre - Walking With Strangers; This is where The Birthday Massacre really perfect their sound, the vocals are better and everything sounds fantastic. "Kill the Lights" and "To Die For" are two of my favourite songs ever.

9. Circa Survive - On Letting Go; Easily my favourite Circa Survive album, Anthony sounds fantastic and the sound is so unique and interesting.

10. Relient K - Five Score and Seven Years Ago; I love this album so much, they move into more of a pop rock sound than the pop punk of Mmhmm and that just suits me more. I think "Deathbed" might be their best song.

11. Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre; This is a tough one to rank because I could easily create a single disc album that could potentially be in my top 3 for the year, it has so many fantastic songs and ideas but it's also way too long and has more than a few kinda bad songs.

12. Radiohead - In Rainbows; One of Radiohead's best, might even be second for me after Kid A. Feels like a good mix of everything they'd done previously.

13. Kamelot - Ghost Opera; A bit of a step down in quality from their last few records and a bit inconsistant but this still has some incredible songs on it.

14. Ling Tosite Sigure - Inspiration is DEAD; I love this band so much, such great energy and two fantastic vocalists. It's a full album that sounds like the best anime intros you can get.

15. Kiss Kiss - Reality vs the Optimist; This album has such a cool sound, it kinda reminds me of The Ugly Organ a bit with it's use of strings and the vocal style. It's really fucking great.

16. Dance Gavin Dance - Downtown Battle Mountain; Jonny Craig fucking sucks but man do I love this album. His voice sounds fucking great and the band do some of their best work on here. I somehow like it today more than I ever have.

17. Cartel - Cartel; I know a lot of people used to hate on this one but I think this is easily the best thing Cartel ever did, there's so many great melodies on here and it's way more interesting musically than the rest of their discography.

18. Paramore - Riot!; I've not listened to early Paramore in a long time but I've had a great time revisiting them recently. They're even better than I remember, Hayley's voice and sense of melody is so good.

19. Deas Vail - All the Houses Look the Same; I miss this band! They had such a unique and magical sound. Really love the vocals and mix of guitars and piano.

20. PJ Harvey - White Chalk; This is the newest addition to this list for me, only heard it for the first time late last year I think but I really love it. The sound is so delicate and beautiful, her vocals are fantastic and the lyrics are great. I'd love more stuff that sounds like this.

21. Frank Turner - Sleep is for the Week; Really great debut for one of my favourite songwriters.

22. Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light; Probably my favourite Jimmy Eat World album. "Dizzy" is their best song!

23. Tegan and Sara - The Con; I've always been super into a handful of Tegan's songs on here but couldn't really click with the rest but I appreciated this in full a lot more than usual this week. It's so creative and fun, the production is fantastic and every song is interesting. Still much prefer the live version of "Nineteen" though.

24. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago; Really lovely album, I'm glad I eventually got into his voice. Can't imagine disliking it now. There's not many songs that I've gone from hating to loving quite like "Skinny Love".

25. The Used - Lies for the Liars; This is another step down for The Used but I still love most of it honestly. It might be nostalgia or my intense love for Bert's voice/scream back then but I still have a lot of fun listening to these songs.

26. Kanye West - Graduation; This one's a decent step down too from the first two Kanye records but there's still a bunch of great songs on here.

27. Alcest - Souvenirs d'un autre monde; I've never really been able to get into Black Metal or Shoegaze much, I do quite love this mix of the two though.

28. Good Charlotte - Good Morning Revival; This is a bit inconsistant but I love some of these songs, I think the kinda dancey sound they added to some of it really works for them.

29. Hanson - The Walk; This has some fantastic songs but I think the songs without Taylor as the lead vocalist are so much weaker that it makes for a kinda weak full album experience. "Been There Before" and "Georgia" is a killer pair of tracks though.

30. The National - Boxer; I've never really been able to click with this band like a lot of people have but I do really like this album, it's probably my favourite of theirs. "Fake Empire" and "Slow Show" in particular are really great.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This is gonna suck. I don't think I listen to anything on my 2007 list. I'll list a few I still enjoy.

1. 65daysofstatic- The Destruction of Small Ideas
    2. Clutch- From Beale Street to Oblivion
    3. Justice- Cross

Leona Lewis- Spirit
    Baroness- The Red Album
    Shad- The Old Prince
    Battles- Mirrored
    The Shins- Wincing the Night Away
    Dustin Kensrue- Please Come Home
    Saul Williams- The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!
    Poison the Well- Versions
    August Burns Red- Messengers
    Lupe Fiasco- Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
    Kiss Kiss- Reality vs The Optimist
    St. Vincent- Marry Me
    Rilo Kiley- Under the Blacklight
    Between the Buried and Me- Colors
    Stars- In Our Bedroom After the War
    Streetlight Manifesto- Somewhere in the Between
    Sage Francis- Human the Death Dance

My absolute mess of a list:
    https://rateyourmusic.com/list/ecirht/best_of_07/

cshadows2887 likes this.
  6. phaynes12

remainder of the top 15:
    4. Between the Buried and Me - Colors
    5. Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero
    6. Jay Z - American Gangster
    7. The National - Boxer
    8. Bright Eyes - Cassadaga
    9. Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
    10. The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour
    11. Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
    12. The White Stripes - Icky Thump
    13. Baroness - The Red Album
    14. Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
    15. Dinosaur Jr. - Beyond

honorable mentions:
    Alcest - Souvenirs d’un autre Monde
    Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
    As Cities Burn - Come Now Sleep
    Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
    Beirut - The Flying Club Cup
    Burial - Untrue
    The Chariot - The Fiancee
    Chevelle - Vena Sera
    Circa Survive - On Letting Go
    Cohered and Cambria - Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Volume Two
    The Cribs - Men’s Needs, Women’s Needs, Whatever
    Dear and the Headlights - Small Steps, Heavy Hooves
    Deerhunter - Cryptograms
    Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
    Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home
    El-P - I’ll Sleep When You’re Dead
    Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty
    Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
    The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim
    The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen
    The Hives - The Black and White Album
    Interpol - Our Love to Admire
    Jimmy Eat World - Chase This Light
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Kings of Leon - Because of the Times
    Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
    Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me
    Okkervil River - The Stage Names
    Poison the Well - Versions
    The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
    Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
    Straylight Run - The Needles the Space
    Thrice - The Alchemy Index Vols. I & II

stuff to check out:
    Aereogramme - My Heart Has a Wish That You Would Not Go On
    Behemoth - The Apostasy
    Bjork - Volta
    Bomb the Music Industry - Get Warmer
    Common - Finding Forever
    Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
    Dr. Dog - We All Belong
    Feist - The Reminder
    Linkin Park - Minutes to Midnight
    MIA - Kala
    Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
    PJ Harvey - White Chalk
    UGK - UGK
    Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

7. phaynes12

meme of radiohead slapping the pop punk bands

Craig Manning likes this.
  8. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

1. The National - Boxer (masterpiece, the best National album)
    2. Radiohead - In Rainbows (masterpiece, the fourth best Radiohead album)
    3. Panda Bear - Person Pitch (masterpiece, the best album from the AnCo extended cinematic universe)

honorable mentions:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
    Bon Iver - For Emma
    Dr. Dog - We All Belong

Several all time best songs this year for me. Fake Empire, and Someone Great and All My Friends off the LCD album are at the very top. Also some really fun nonessential stuff like Justice - Cross and a relatively mediocre Kanye album that still manages to have a handful of fantastic songs.

Shout out to the Dr. Dog album and Jens Lekman's Night Falls Over Kortedala for absolutely blowing away the audio production obsessed side of me.

George and Maverick like this.
  9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Jonny Greenwood could conceivably have walked onstage last night and slapped Travis Barker.

SpyKi and phaynes12 like this.
  10. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

1. Mayday Parade - Lesson in Romantics
    2. Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice
    3. Gaslight anthem - sink or swim

Gianni likes this.
  11. phaynes12

how I wish

12. Thrillcollinz

Try to stay afloat

1. Mayday Parade - A Lesson In Romantics
    2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    3. Biffy Clyro - Puzzle

2007 was weird, Skins just came out so everyone I knew was into nu-rave or trash-pile indie and wore those awful two-tone button up T-shirts from Topman. I was 15 and going through an identity crisis so my music taste was all over the place.

All these albums rule though, and I'm surprised there isn't more love for A Lesson In Romantics, which is probably my favourite album that sounds like that.

George likes this.
  13. JM95

Trusted

Talking of Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood came out in 2007.

14. SpyKi

1. Motion City Soundtrack - Even If It Kills Me
    2. The Birthday Massacre - Kill the Lights
    3. Say Anything - Baby Girl, I'm a Blur
    4. Emarosa - Epoch Coda
    5. City Sleeps - Sleep With Me
    6. Moving Mountains - 8105
    7. Epica - Chasing the Dragon
    8. Relient K - Deathbed
    9. Fightstar - Deathcar
    10. Anberlin - (*Fin)
    11. Dance Gavin Dance - And I Told Them I Invented Times New Roman
    12. Hanson - Been There Before
    13. Frank Turner - Worse Things Happen at Sea
    14. Radiohead - Videotape
    15. Tegan and Sara - Nineteen
    16. Kamelot - The Human Stain
    17. Fall Out Boy - The (After) Life of the Party
    18. Cartel - Lose It
    19. Jimmy Eat World - Dizzy
    20. Circa Survive - The Only Difference Between...
    21. Kiss Kiss - Dress Up
    22. Paramore - When It Rains
    23. The Reign of Kindo - Just Wait
    24. The National - Fake Empire
    25. Ling Tosite Sigure - Nakano Kill You
    26. Deas Vail - Anything You Say
    27. The Used - Wake the Dead
    28. Thrice - Digital Sea
    29. PJ Harvey - The Piano
    30. Bon Iver - Skinny Love

Favourite songs of the year. Probably forgot something great.

15. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

number 1 on my list.

Thrillcollinz likes this.
  16. phaynes12

few things bother me more than that scene of mayday parade type bands. just painful.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Has...no one heard Da Drought 3? I have never experienced communal excitement like I did during Wayne's prime era 06-09. Scouring the internet for loosies or random verses, diving into random rap blogs for leaks. It was incredible. Idk if anyone will ever come close to that again.

18. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I say the same about Radiohead and similar bands.

19. SpyKi

I haven't heard it but I also don't think I've ever enjoyed anything I've heard from Lil Wayne so I've never checked out one of his records.

20. Surfwax

bring on the major leagues

I wish I could say I was ahead or even on the curve on Wayne but like I'm sure many other people here it wasn't until the carter III that I had any idea how fun and great he was :(

21. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

1. Down to Nothing - The Most

maybe my favorite hardcore record. One of the best bands to see live. So much fun.

AgonizingFir likes this.
  22. Phil507 Mar 28, 2022
    (Last edited: Mar 28, 2022)
    Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

EDITED to include Bon Iver

I remember thinking 2007-08 were more growing years in terms of music but then revisiting my itunes library, forgot how many absolute gems are a part of this year:

01) THE NATIONAL - Boxer

Beautifully somber and sad, this album expanded my tastes as 2007 was peak year I was moving from Bamboozle-approved to Coachella-approved. I still think this is The National's best as it balances their typical sad-sack slow burns with more urgent numbers.

02) AGAINST ME! - New Wave

One of the last controversial "sell-out" releases, this album took everything Against Me did well and provided a big, glossy sheen to make them sound huge while still retaining their working-class punk rock energy.

03) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - Sound Of Silver

A soundtrack to young night life in NYC with fantastic production and on-point lyrics both meant to dance the night away while also pondering your existence.

04) RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows

This album brought Radiohead to the millennail audience with their most accessible, concise and beautiful release to date.

05) BON IVER - For Emma, Forever Ago

Dude sees both his band and relationship implodes, lives in solitude in the woods (though still has electricity and plumbing) and creates a somber, melancholy masterpiece that no one else has been able to replicate since.

06) FALL OUT BOY - Infinity On High

Going multi-platinum encouraged Fall Out Boy to leave the Warped Tour scene behind and go bigger and better, embracing many different styles but still rooted in undeniable hooks

07) STRATA - Presents The End Of The World

Middling post-grunge band discovers a delay pedal and strips back the distortion creating a beautiful soundtrack for life falling apart.

08) MOTION CIY SOUNDTRACK - Even If It Kills Me

Speaking of life falling apart, Justin Pierre soundtracked his downfall while also trying to put together the pieces. This should have been much bigger

09) FEIST - The Reminder

Go-to "Brunch-core", this record is a lovely collection of polite indie folk without ever becoming saccharine.

10) ARCTIC MONKEYS - Favorurite Worst Nightmare

Darker and groovier than their debut while still maintaining the British "pub-rock" sound, this proved Arctic Monkeys were here to stay.

11) CARY BROTHERS - Who You Are

Fantastic singer/songwriter record that I discovered due to this very site.

12) MINUS THE BEAR - Planet Of Ice

MY introduction to MTB was through this album which had them maintain their effortless ability to be catchy with all the jittery, stabbing guitar riffs that make them who they are.

13) ANBERLIN - Cities

After two solid earnest pop-punk-influenced records, Anbelrin leveled up and made their magnus opus expanding in both directions while maintaining their typical earnest approach.

14) BIFFY CLYRO - Puzzle

Discovered Biffy when they opened for Say Antying in 2008 and this album was the perfect introduction showcasing both their skittish riffs with arena-rock approach.

15) MAROON 5 - It Won't Be Soon Before Long

Perfect combination of silky smooth R&B mixed with excellent pop sensibilities, this was a worthy follow-up to their blockbuster debut

16) PARAMORE - Riot

Beginning of the Paramore empire being built with them building upon their debut and sharperning their hooks

17) CIRCA SURVIVE - On Letting Go

Soundtrack to a hazy summer day with some of the most beautiful guitar lines ever held together by Anthony Green's soaring vocals

18) QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE - Era Vulgaris

Very rarely does a mainstream rock band get WEIRDER as they go along but such is the story with Queens (at least in 2007). Some of their grooviest and far out stuff on here.

19) SPOON - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Probably the most straight-forward Spoon album ever with Britt Daniel maintaining his incredible knack for not writing a bad song.

20) THE WHITE STRIPES - Icky Thump

The swan song from The White Stripes is still an incredible achievement while showcasing how Jack White was beginning to experiment more

21) FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE - Traffic & Weather

While they wouldn't produce another hit, Fountains Of Wayne continued crafting excellent pop/rock records such as this with an emphasis on storytelling as well as their ability to jump between genres while having the whole thing still hold together.

22) THRICE - The Alchemy Index Vol 1 & 2 - Fire & Water

Usually making an effort to divide an album sonically can stifle a band but Thrice did this extremely well over both these collections (with Water being my favorite)

23) MATTHEW GOOD - Hospital Music

Canadian singer/songwriter Matthew Good went through a painful divorce and emotional breakdown to create his most intensely personal and sad album to date.

24) TIGER ARMY - Music From Regions Beyond

Rock-a-billy mixed with punk rock is suprisingly done often but this album still gives me chills, particularly the closing song.

25) BAND OF HORSES - Cease To Begin

Beautifully constructed indie/country-folk with sweeping and cinematic guitars and vocals

26) KAISER CHIEFS - Yours Truly, Angry Mob

Another UK superstar act that never managed the conquer the states which is a shame since this album still bangs pretty hard

27) FOO FIGHTERS - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Tough thinking about this band today and, normally, I'd put this at the bottom of the Foo list but I do like how they reached outside their comfort zone on this one and experimented with their sound while still providing some pile-driving Foo hits

28) THE HIVES - The Black And White Album

After their proper major label debut didn't push them to megastar-status, The Hives worked with a number of different producers to add additional gloss into their garage punk approach which suited them well.

29) IRON & WINE - The Shepherd's Dog

Of all the Iron & Wine releases, this one is the best balance between stark minimalist guitar whispers and lush, grand production

30) BLOC PARTY - A Weekend In The City

The "difficult" second album that actually unfolds into a unique and cathartic listen if you give it time.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

NINE INCH NAILS - Year Zero

After his most immediate release, Trent tinkered with beats to create an apocolyptic doomsday soundtrack which was probably 13-14 years ahead of its time.

KADDISFLY - Set Sail The Prairie

Emo-prog that has been forgotten yet still sounds great

LINKIN PARK - Minutes To Midnight

Ditching nu metal to create a schizophrenic sounding major label rock release was a daring move but I still think it worked out better than people thought it would

YEASAYER - All Hour Symbals

Williamsburg, Brooklyn wasn't thought to be an attractive place for spiritually hippie indie rock bands but Yeasayer started driving the indie rock zeitgist in this direction in 2007

JIMMY EAT WORLD - Chase This Light

A bit too streamlined in ways but still has some all-timers

YELLOWCARD - Paper Walls

Created in wake of the muted reception to Lights & Sounds, Yellowcard sound re-invigorated here and much more immediate.

Bartek T. and Gianni like this.
  23. AgonizingFir

Currently Distracted Supporter

Calling it now. It’ll be tight but Bon Iver is gonna take this one

24. George

Trusted Prestigious

That's a very weird pairing in 2008! Where was this?

25. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

Say Anything / Manchester Orchestra / Biffy Clyro /Weatherbox tour in 2008