Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Color Fred - A Year and Change (April 1st, 2022)

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Sean Murphy, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

Fred's first album since 2007, single below;

From the press release posted in the news forum;

Fred Mascherino also known as THE COLOR FRED is gearing up for the release of his first new album since 2007. A Year and Change is due out on April 01, 2022and the music video for “Creatures” will debut today at 12pm EST via TCF’s YouTube channel. In addition, the album will be available for pre-save on Spotify.

“I always liked titles that can mean more than one thing because it can mean something different to you than it does to me and we still connect with it,” describes vocalist and multi-instrumentalist Fred Mascherino. “Anytime I’m talking about something I did in the past three years, I have no idea whether it was a few months ago or at the end of 2019. It has all become the same and I felt like I needed to address this strange time in some way.”

The album is composed of a dozen songs as well as two bonus tracks that were written and recorded during the infectious pandemic with one song being released per month. “The hardest part of making one song a month is that we premiered each song as we went so we felt like each song had to be worthy of being a single,” explains Mascherino. “People were following our progress and we didn’t want to lose them along the way.”

A Year and Change is fueled by Masherino’s indie rock DNA. The opening track “Don’t Give Up On Me” has an unforgettable guitar riff that’s probably the best we’ve ever heard from him and harkens back to his Breaking Pangaea days. The ripper “Save Yourself” is the most aggressive song that he has released since his stint in Taking Back Sunday. “Never Wanted” is an anthem for the working-class and has enough pop to be a Third Eye Blind song but retains a certain heaviness throughout.

2. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

song is great. so nice to have Fred back. would love it he did some small club shows soon. single is on apple music as well.

3. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I'm real excited for this.

4. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Here for it. Loved a lot of his songs he dropped last year and bend to break is one of my favorite TBS related records.

5. contra11mundum

I hate spoilers. Supporter

Not something I ever even considered might happen but I’m here for it

6. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Oh wow! Excited for this.

7. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Has it really been that long since Fred released an album?!

8. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Whoa I’m hyped for this

9. manoverboard365

Trusted

Nice I’m excited for this. Creatures is great too.
    So is the album basically the 12 songs from last year, plus 2 new ones?

10. razorburn

Trusted

Here for it. Love Fred.

11. LuigiPeppercorn

Trusted Prestigious

i'll listen to this

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Solo yes.

Terrible Things was released in 2010, which also rules.

13. manoverboard365

Trusted

That Terrible Things album was terribly underrated.

WashedOut and Joe4th like this.
  14. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

It was far better than The Color Fred solo project, imo.

manoverboard365 and Joe4th like this.
  15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Album should have been titled A Decade and Change

16. JamesMichael

Ahh damn I forgot about that Terrible Things album. Will have to spin that again soon.

WashedOut likes this.
  17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Agreed! And after Andy and Josh left, Fred put out an EP under the Terrible Things name that was also really good (and better than TCF imo). I forget the name of the EP, but it had a big classic rock vibe to it.

18. JamesMichael

Just listened to creatures and it rules. Stoked for the album.

19. In the early 2010s (if I remember correctly?), I remember him releasing a follow up EP under that moniker. It had more of a progressive rock vibe at times.

20. Ellamamama

This is your life, are you who you want to be?

Has any tracklist been released for this yet?

21. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I assume this will be mostly the songs he's released already (though it's 14 tracks) but it's nice to have them all compiled. Been waiting so long to get this album.

He's got 9 of his new tracks in a play list

22. razorburn

Trusted

23. razorburn Apr 1, 2022
    (Last edited: Apr 1, 2022)
    razorburn

Trusted

Enjoying this so far. Phenomenal guitar work, as expected.

24. manoverboard365

Trusted

Enjoyed this. I think there's a few songs that could've been cut (Everwrite, FuturePast, Don't Change), but the rest flows really well.
    Initial favorites are That Train is Leaving, Save Yourself, Right I Left and Veronica Road.

25. soggytime

Trusted

i really liked this