Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64 (Tier 4): Mulholland Dr. vs. Dazed and Confused

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Dec 5, 2021.

?

Which film should advance?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2021.
  1. Mulholland Dr.

55.8%
  2. Dazed and Confused

44.2%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

Round one is here. 61 years of film with 3 convenient ties. What film will come out on top?

For this round, we start with:

DAZED AND CONFUSED
    , a film trying to capture the aimlessness but seeming importance of those late teenage years where adulthood is on the horizon but you have no intention of confronting. Ever since World War II, our conception of adolescence keeps stretching and stretching as people put off moving out, getting married, and having children, and why wouldn't you? It looks so much more fun than changing diapers.

Against...

MULHOLLAND DR.
    , the David Lynch film that best marries his earlier, more conventional style and the terrifying depths of the dream spaces he has explored in other work and in his newer experiments. Everything feels a little off at first, just like a dream does, but just like you do not know you are dreaming, our characters have to assume this is reality as presented.

The winner will move on to the next round. The full bracket is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

MD did not do much for me on first watch, outside of the diner scene. I should revisit it

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I like Dazed and Confused a lot but this isn't close for me. Mulholland Drive is my favourite film by possibly my favourite director.

Long Century likes this.
  4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

dazed dazed dazed

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Stuff like Dazed and Confused or Everybody Wants Some!!! are fun and well-made but they feel like empty calories. I hated Mulholland Dr. when I first saw it because it felt amateurish but it is on the top tier of Lynch works.

6. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Oh you had to do this to me

7. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

It’s definitely Mulholland Dr but Dazed and Confused deserved better

the rural juror likes this.
  8. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yup

9. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I didnt like MD when it came out - I should give it another show before passing judgement on it....

Dazed and Confused came out at a perfect time though.

10. soggytime

Trusted

Mulholland Drive is one of Lynch's masterworks and my favorite film of his.

However.... Dazed & Confused might be my favorite movie ever so yea I voted for that

11. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Dazed and Confused for me!

12. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

This is close for me but I went MD

13. radiodead

Trusted

MD by a landslide

SpyKi likes this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Close. Dazed and Confused is a close personal favorite. But Mulholland Drive is exquisite, watching it feels like magic. My heart was racing the first time I saw the diner scene, and the Silencio sequence is spectacular, and the Justin Theroux scenes are great. I think Dazed and Confused could have stood up better against some of the other films in the bracket, but this is a clear choice.

the rural juror and SpyKi like this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

With 56 percent of the vote, Mulholland Dr. will face Blade Runner in the Round of 32.

SpyKi likes this.
  16. phaynes12

wrong

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Stinky

18. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Acting like Dazed lost to La La Land or something

19. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'd take La La Land over Dazed too honestly.

20. phaynes12

what the fuck!

chewbacca110 likes this.
  21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I said “stinky”

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Man. I’m reading the Dazed oral history right now and rewatching the movie. It’s so fucking good. Easily the most important movie in my life. Still perfect, still evolving with age as I grow up and have kids. It’s the best.

soggytime likes this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

The polls were the most fun the place has been in years and harbored discussions about movies beyond just those coming out in theaters and they had to ruin it.

24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lets do it again!

The needledrops in Dazed are so fucking good. I was riding around in the back of my parent’s car listening to “Cherry Bomb” and “Why Can’t We Be Friends”. “Hurricane” was a staple at parties in high school

25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

When “Free Ride” kicks in. God damn