Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64 (Tier 4): Jaws vs. Do the Right Thing

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Dec 5, 2021.

?

Which film should advance?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2021.
  1. Jaws

52.2%
  2. Do the Right Thing

47.8%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

Round one is here. 61 years of film with 3 convenient ties. What film will come out on top?

For this round, we start with:

JAWS
    , Spielberg's landmark film about why it is not safe to go in the water. Infamously, it is a film of compromise; when the shark did not work, Spielberg had to improvise and hide the mechanical body, which created a truly terrifying idea in your head because you could not begin to comprehend the danger ahead. For better or worse, it created the summer tentpole and the modern blockbuster.

Against...

DO THE RIGHT THING, Spike Lee's breakout film about race relations in urban America. How is it, thirty-plus years later, the film still feels relevant? White characters idolizing black athletes while dismissing their black neighbors, antiquated stores and buildings from a previous racial era, and the simmering resentment that is always about to blow up?

The winner will move on to the next round. The full bracket is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yikes this is tough

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I've never been a huge Jaws fan and although on my last watch I can see a lot more positives in it, I still wouldn't say I love it. Do the Right Thing however completely lives up to it's acclaim for me.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

jaws might still be the best blockbuster ever, even as the first, but it’s gotta be spike

jkauf likes this.
  5. Morrissey

Trusted

Jaws is great but I have to take its historical impact into account and that means that Jaws was overall responsible for the current state or things. Do the Right Thing is still poignant today, arguably more so as we entered the 24 hour social media world.

jkauf and Victor Eremita like this.
  6. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Oh man these two are so good for such different reasons it makes this really hard haha

7. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Do the Right Thing for sure. It still feels so vibrant and vital.

8. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Do the right thing is more relevant but hard to beat the iconic status and rewatchability of Jaws. Not to mention some iconic performances and one of the most recognizable scores ever.

9. Long Century

Regular

I think I've got to give it to jaw if not just for the monologue.

justin. likes this.
  10. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Yikes. a tough one... as said, both great for different reasons...

11. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Ah yes, the monologue that plays in my head as soon as I stick one foot in the ocean.

12. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Right?! There isn't a time I'm ever at the beach where Jaws doesn't creep into my head at some point lol

justin. likes this.
  13. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Or the deep end of a large pool. It’s not even the shark itself, it’s the score and the monologue that create an even larger shark in my mind.

14. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Ahhh fuck. Spike is one of my favorite directors and Do The Right Thing is undoubtably his masterpiece. But my gut is saying Jaws. There's a chance I change my vote before the end of the day.

15. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Sure, so we know Jaws is life changing for a lot of people and very quoteable... Whenever we are at a beach, we bring up Alex Kintner (and how the character of the mom actually hit Roy Scheider in the face accidentally during 'the slap') or we start singing 'Show me the way to go home' (when its time to go home from the beach)

justin. likes this.
  16. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Lots of people here not doing the right thing.

CarpetElf, SpyKi and Victor Eremita like this.
  17. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Barresi likes this.
  18. Morrissey

Trusted

This is unexpected.

CarpetElf likes this.
  19. foolton

SACTO STYLE Prestigious

pain

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Changed my vote. Partially for my love of Spike Lee and partially for the chaos.

21. Morrissey

Trusted

If there is a tie I have to roll dice again which means people will make fun of my voice again.

22. the rural juror

upload_2021-12-7_14-2-45.jpeg

Tim, Long Century and Victor Eremita like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

The Round of 32 starts tomorrow.

24. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

This will be a slightly depressing result.

Joe4th and jkauf like this.
  25. the rural juror

I'm not saying Jaws isn't great, but this is a travesty.

Joe4th, SpyKi and jkauf like this.