Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64 (Tier 4): The Social Network vs. The Godfather

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Which film should advance?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2021.
  1. The Social Network

29.5%
  2. The Godfather

70.5%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

Round one is here. 61 years of film with 3 convenient ties. What film will come out on top?

For this round, we start with:

THE SOCIAL NETWORK
    , a cautionary tale about the rise of social media, its seemingly contradictory effect of dehumanizing each other, and the anti-social behavior at the head of the social media giant among them all. Like CITIZEN KANE, you can seemingly get everything without the one thing you always wanted.

Against...

THE GODFATHER
    , a film so revered and written about that there is little else to say. While on the surface a Mafia tale, it is ultimately about the immigrant experience in America and the dichotomy between the lie that working hard will pay off and the reality that the country's wealth is built on exploitation.

The winner will move on to the next round. The full bracket is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Might be the unpopular vote but I’m going with the social network.

I Am Mick likes this.
  3. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The Godfather is better but The Social Network is pretty easily the best Fincher and I love it a lot.

I first saw The Social Network at a pre-screening at my college with a Q&A with Aaron Sorkin, Jesse Eisenberg, and Armie Hammer. Someone in the Q&A confronted Sorkin about how he writes female characters.

I feel like Brando laid the groundwork for "serious actors" using makeup and prosthetics and radically gaining weight for roles, but most modern actors misunderstand why Brando was brilliant in that yeah, especially in his later career he did not look like the Streetcar Named Desire/Wild Ones leading man and it helped the immersion, but he still embodied the character truth of every scene in every moment he's onscreen, and he didn't specifically gain weight for roles but because he never stopped eating and didn't like to exercise. I feel like late career Brando is why we have the Christian Bales, Gary Oldmans, and Jared Letos who largely only take roles if there's a requirement to radically alter their body or cake themselves in makeup, but none of them are reaching near the transcendence of Brando.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Social Network is great, but c'mon

5. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

Social Network is Facebook. Its like Amazon. Its omnipresent. It deserves better than going up against Godfather.

Sure, you can vote against Godfather, but you cannot justify, on any level, that Social Network outdoes Godfather.

Or can we? I can stew over it before voting for Godfather, and even make it close, but in the end.... I have a tough timing with backing Social Network

6. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I'd vote for plenty of films in this bracket over The Godfather, just not this one.

7. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I’ve never seen any Godfather movies, voting social network because I love it and it’s gona lose anyway

8. Morrissey

Trusted

Have you seen The Godfather?

Victor Eremita likes this.
  9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

come on. please.

CarpetElf likes this.
  10. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

What could make me go against Godfather?

Is it over hyped? Maybe its not as good as we think it is? Do we just like it because its the thing to do...?

With all the big name stars, director, etc... What are the negatives to it?

So I googled negatives and only came across this?

• Ugly and generic world; no challenge to gunfights; poorly implemented strategy section

Then realized it was a video game. My mind is made up.

11. phaynes12

it is one of the few that’s hype is adequate. do we have to litigate why the godfather is good???

Victor Eremita and CarpetElf like this.
  12. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I’ve seen godfather I and II and thought they were okay. No where near as good as it seems alot of people claim them to be. The Social Network I’ve seen a dozen times and still find it enjoyable.

13. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I wanted to at least give Social Network a chance... I dont want to see a solid movie go up against Shawshank, Godfather, Schindlers List (or whatever classifys in your top 10 movies) and immediately get put down,.

14. Morrissey

Trusted

If you are going to come after the Godfather, make sure you did your research first.

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

These are actually pretty close for me but The Godfather takes it.

17. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

"A million offers you can't refuse isn't cool. You know what's cool? A billion offers." - Vito Corleone

18. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Honestly out of the two I'd say Godfather II is the one more overrated. Maybe that's just circumstantial thought. I always heard it was a hot take to think the first is better than the second one.

19. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

This is the most lopsided choice except for Days of Heaven v Hereditary so I’m still worried. But yeah The Godfather obviously.

CarpetElf likes this.
  20. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

The Godfather is one of the few perfect films. Aaron Sorkin writing alone sinks TSN well below perfection. Fincher makes it great but tiers below The Godfather.

CarpetElf likes this.
  21. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Victor Eremita likes this.
  22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Those who vote for The Godfather

[​IMG]

23. phaynes12

[​IMG]

David87 likes this.
  24. Morrissey

Trusted

I can't imagine a world without The Godfather. It is that important to American culture.

25. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

It's not a knock against The Godfather in the least, and it's clear what will win, but in 20 years we'll see The Social Network as just as important as TGF. To me, it's the best American film ever made, and it's not close.

TJ Wells and justin. like this.