Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64 (Tier 3): Days of Heaven vs. Hereditary

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Nov 24, 2021.

?

Which film should advance?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2021.
  1. Days of Heaven

50.0%
  2. Hereditary

50.0%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

Round one is here. 61 years of film with 3 convenient ties. What film will come out on top?

For this round, we start with:

DAYS OF HEAVEN
    , Terrence Malick's major work before he decided to disappear for twenty years. Limiting dialogue and exposition, we get to revel in the beauty of the farmhouse and its surrounding, all until it comes crashing down in a complicated love triangle. Even for those who do not feel his new films have much to say, everyone agrees on Days of Heaven.

Against...

HEREDITARY
    , a modern horror about the repression and past of a family that reveals itself after the tragic death of a child. If anything else, its ending will leave you pondering, like the horror classics of the 60's and 70's.

The winner will move on to the next round. The full bracket is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

All due respect to Hereditary but Days of Heaven is it

3. Morrissey

Trusted

Hereditary and Midsommar are good but I think people are going a little overboard with them. Days of Heaven is one of the most beautiful films ever made.

4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Midsommar is the better film

Contender, Victor Eremita and Nathan like this.
  5. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Hereditary is an incredible movie, and it's been fun to watch Aster make such an impact on the industry, but Days of Heaven is a masterpiece. Had to go with the latter.

6. foolton

SACTO STYLE Prestigious

days of heaven is a masterpiece by a master

no contest (fuckin love ari aster tho)

7. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Damn this match up

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

Hereditary is great but Midsommar is better and any votes in favor of Hereditary is as clear of a pin in the argument that recency bias runs rampant on this site. It shouldn't be a close vote at all.

9. Morrissey

Trusted

1:20 is really special.

Victor Eremita and jkauf like this.
  10. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Hereditary sucks and is goofy until the final 3 minutes which are also goofy but fucking cool

11. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

[​IMG]

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I love Days of Heaven but for me it's Hereditary and it's not that close.

Contender likes this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

This is getting really close. The people in this forum really want to cast off the old masters.

14. phaynes12

pathetic

15. SpyKi

Idk, seems like old films are doing pretty well so far. Hereditary is just a special film for a lot of people.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

The newer film is winning or tied in all four matchups right now.

17. SpyKi

Older films won most of Tier 1 and I'm guessing a lot of those will do very well overall. I can also see a lot of upcoming winners being old films.

18. Morrissey

Trusted

Some are more understandable than others. Parasite was a cultural phenomenon unlike any foreign film has seen in years, while The New World sort of gets forgotten sandwiched between The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life. Hereditary doesn't really score that high on aggregates of the year it came out or the 21st century as a whole.

It is one of the unique quirks of the forum. Hereditary and Midsommar are good horror films but they have a particularly devoted fan base here. It reminds me of an old forum I went to where everyone thought I Heart Huckabees was a masterpiece.

phaynes12 and Victor Eremita like this.
  19. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

abstaining. do not know either one :/

20. ReginaPhilange

Trusted Prestigious

Haven't seen Days of Heaven but watched the trailer and it looks booor-riiiing so I voted Hereditary :)

flask and Long Century like this.
  21. phaynes12

block this fool!

22. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I mostly don’t give a shit about this whole bracket ordeal, but I’m weirdly invested in Days of Heaven pulling through right now.

Fronnyfron and phaynes12 like this.
  23. Morrissey

Trusted

I hope Malick never sees what we done here.

24. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

He’s probably bummed Zoolander didn’t make the bracket

Long Century, phaynes12 and CarpetElf like this.
  25. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Tempted to switch to Hereditary just watch phaynes and Morrissey melt into puddles like the wicked witch of the west