Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Round of 64 (Tier 2): Taxi Driver vs. Pulp Fiction

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Nov 20, 2021.

?

Which film should advance?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2021.
  1. Taxi Driver

44.2%
  2. Pulp Fiction

55.8%
  1. Morrissey

Trusted

Round one is here. 61 years of film with 3 convenient ties. What film will come out on top?

For this round, we start with:

TAXI DRIVER
    , a deep dive into urban decay and the degradation of the mind. Travis Bickle is so important to cinema because he is so relatable; scarred from military service but with a moral code and thinking he is the hero in his own story. It is a straight line from that to the shootout.

Against...

PULP FICTION, a story of seemingly unconnected events in the seedy underworld of Los Angeles. The definition of cool in the Nineties, Tarantino packs more references and shocks into his film than directors with decades of experience. It feels at once of the moment and timeless, as conversations about awkward date banter and the difficulty of cleaning a car are still relevant today.

The winner will move on to the next round. The full bracket is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Very close but I have to go with Pulp Fiction. I like it more every time I revisit it.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Pulp Fiction is one of the more important films in terms of getting me into movies. Taxi Driver is one of the greatest films of all time

4. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

Very tough choice, I’m going to have to think about this one for a while.

5. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Both classics that launched the legacies of each director, but it’s Pulp Fiction for me.

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

taxi driver. pulp is one of the best of my lifetime but taxi is one of the best of all time.

7. Morrissey

Trusted

8. George

Trusted Prestigious

Taxi Driver is pretty clearly ahead for me, but “Ah man I shot Marvin in the face” is quite possibly the all time best line reading.

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  9. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

@Morrissey did you accidentally pick the wrong movie?

10. Morrissey

Trusted

No. It is close, though.

SpyKi likes this.
  11. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

I dont know what to do on this one... like others, I need to think about this....

Jump starting an actor... jump starting a director... both to me are just too damn equal.

12. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Two movies that changed everything for me, I could see myself voting for either as the winner of the whole thing. But I go
    Taxi Driver, what Scorsese was doing is in its own class.

13. Jason Tolpin

Trusted

14. foolton

SACTO STYLE Prestigious

actually insane first round draw

but taxi driver is king

15. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Taxi Driver is not only a top tier movie but also a fantastic time capsule of an era of New York City that is long gone now. That said, the entire watch segment in Pulp Fiction with Christopher Walken is true art.

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This is the toughest one yet

Jason Tolpin likes this.
  17. Morrissey

Trusted

With 56 percent of the vote, Pulp Fiction will face Come and See in the Round of 32.