Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Lightyear (Angus MacLane, June 17, 2022) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Anthony_ Oct 27, 2021
    (Last edited: Oct 27, 2021)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

9C7B785D-CBD6-4D6D-90A2-57A4D1A925E6.jpeg

SpyKi likes this.
  2. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Can definitely spot the Star Wars references/inspirations

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Should be fun!

4. blast0rama

Internet human. Supporter

I can't believe we're getting a serious take on the Buzz Lightyear mythos of all things, but I think it's cool to see Pixar finally take their animation prowess and apply it to a more "mature" (heaviest of quotes) type of story telling.

Also, Angus MacLane I remember being super cool from all the DVD extras from Pixar movies, so I'm glad to see him direct.

5. Anthony_

This looks so damn cool I’m all the way in

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Right behind the inevitable Slinky and Rex origin story

8. Anthony_

tbh if Lightyear is a hit I'd be 100% down for them to do actually do this (with Joan Cusack of course, no need to recast her like they did with Tim Allen)

coleslawed and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

If the base Jessie off a “real person” then they may recast like they did for buzz.

10. Anthony_

right but I'm saying I'd be cool if they didn't

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Kaitlyn Dever asJessie
    John Boyega as Woody
    Tom Hanks as Pete

coleslawed, shea and GrantCloud like this.
  12. Anthony_

Wild to think about how the world of Toy Story is actually an ultra high-tech advanced science fiction society like the one being depicted in this movie about the person who served as the basis for the Buzz Lightyear toy, and yet they still live in regular old suburbs driving regular old cars and go to pizzerias with old school arcade games in them.

JoshIsMediocre likes this.
  13. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I mean pizza planet and the claw rule

14. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I mean, let's face it, that will be our world eventually. The rich people will live in space stations and all of us will still be filling up our used cars at Mobil.

coleslawed likes this.
  15. Anthony_

Nah we'll totally collapse as a species well before then

Penlab likes this.
  16. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

kinda took it that it was just a movie in their world. like Dune for ours.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. Anthony_

no it's a real man

just let us have this it's funnier that way

18. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

If he isn’t in it I’m not watching.

coleslawed, Orla, GrantCloud and 2 others like this.
  19. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

20. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

coleslawed likes this.
  21. deflector

formerly pizzatime

lightyear ends when buzz's rocket achieves warp speed and breaks through the event horizon

alone and trapped in his craft, he is kept alive by advanced technology that removes his need to eat or breathe, but makes his body cold and unfeeling, like plastic.

days, weeks, years pass. eons pass. buzz witnesses the birth and death of universes, exploding suns and decaying planets.

finally buzz's craft reaches the edge of the universe and comes face to face with what can only be called God. the creator. Their name?

ANDY.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  22. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

That sounds like a really dark place to go for a brick joke.

23. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

It's not. Lightyear is based on a sci-fi movie.

24. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I'm not really sure what this means; if you mean the movie is based on a sci-fi movie or if the movie we're talking about is the movie that the toy is based from.

Regardless, according to this article the director says that this movie, despite being about the hero Buzz Lightyear, has no connection to the Toy Story movies in universe. So it's an idea of what Buzz's origin might look like, but it's not intended to connect directly to the universe, as in-universe fiction or otherwise.

https://screenrant.com/buzz-lightyear-movie-toy-story-connections-director-response/

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

As a Pixar executive explained it when the project was first announced last December: “When we created the very first ‘Toy Story,’ we designed Buzz Lightyear with the idea that he was a toy based on some very cool character from an epic blockbuster film.” "Well, all these years later, we decided to make that film"

So Toy Story is still a real universe with real pizza places and not some huge tech dystopia. Someone made a sci-fi movie where the hero is Lightyear. And this is that movie.

coleslawed likes this.