Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

1970's in film.

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Morrissey, Jun 3, 2021.

?

What is the best film of the 1970's?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2021.
  1. El Topo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Harold and Maude

3.7%
  3. The Godfather

25.9%
  4. Mean Streets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Godfather Part II

18.5%
  6. Jaws

22.2%
  7. Taxi Driver

7.4%
  8. Eraserhead

7.4%
  9. Days of Heaven

3.7%
  10. Apocalypse Now

11.1%
  1. Morrissey Jun 3, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2021)
    Morrissey

Trusted

The 1970's were the best of times and the worst of times. New Hollywood dominated the beginning of the decade, but as time went on the blockbuster began to take shape. Of the ten winners so far, which is your favorite and why?

We will extend this to one week to get a range of responses.

2. Morrissey

Trusted

It is funny to see how dominant international cinema was in the 60's versus American dominance in the 70's. Apocalypse Now and Taxi Driver and Days of Heaven are really close, but the Godfather Part II is such an incredible piece of work. I could write about almost any scene for so long that no one would want to read it.

3. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I need to watch Part II again. It's been too long and I don't think I've seen it since I got truly interested in cinema. I'm going with Taxi Driver, an ugly and prescient film and the first Scorsese masterpiece.

My real answer is Texas Chainsaw Massacre

4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The Godfathers are probably my top two of the listed films, with Days of Heaven and Taxi Driver very close. Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, and Jaws are pretty elite as well. El Topo is a fun one not usually listed alongside the others in the list when the 70s are talked about.

5. George

Trusted Prestigious

I imagine the coming decades will continue to be American dominated. Maybe '88 will go to one of the big Japanese animation films, but I think from now on a non-American film winning is not likely to happen in the majority of years.

From this list, I haven't got around to seeing Harold and Maude yet, and it has been a long while since I saw El Topo.

Of the rest, I gave my vote to Taxi Driver. I imagine The Godfather might split the votes between the first and second one, but would be happy for either of them, or Mean Streets to win this decade.

6. Nathan

Parasite at least has a good shot at 2019/the 2010s, but that’s probably it. If Holy Motors wasn’t the same year as the Master it might have had a shot.

7. Nathan

I hope everyone brushes up on their Yang for 1991 and 2000

Fronnyfron likes this.
  8. username

hey you lil piss baby

Days of Heaven is the only one of these that made my list, so that was an easy vote. I think most of these films are great though, so not necessarily where my preferences lean anymore.

I’ve been wondering a lot what the chance of a non-American/English language taking the top spot again is. Parasite is the obvious one but nothing in the intervening ~40 years immediately comes to mind as a contender, especially for the 80s to 00s. Perhaps some Ghibli films? Although the way they’ve largely circulated in dubbed forms sort of undermines the “non-English” part of that thought. Roma seems like another potential.

9. username

hey you lil piss baby

This is Taipei Story erasure

George and Nathan like this.
  10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Went with El Topo although Eraserhead is close. Really great bunch though, Jaws is the only one I don't love but I can see why it's on here.

My real number 1 from the 70's is The Holy Mountain though.

11. Nathan

Love Taipei Story! And found Terrorizers incredibly interesting. Summer Day and Yi Yi just felt like immediate masterpieces, more so than Taipei Story, though it sat very well with me after viewing.

12. Morrissey

Trusted

Werckmeister Harmonies better win.

13. username

hey you lil piss baby

Taipei Story probably shot to my number 1 from him upon rewatch. I still struggle with The Terrorizers, but it's an intriguing film. Similar with A Confucian Confusion. The other two, as you said, are obvious masterpieces. I should really get around to Mahjong soon.

Nathan likes this.
  14. George

Trusted Prestigious

Parasite definitely, assume that one has it in the bag by the time we get to 2019.

Amelie or Spirited Away maybe for 2001? LOTR and Mullholland Drive their big rivals there. City of God in 2002? Again LOTR + maybe Punch Drunk Love as competition. Pan's Labyrinth in 2006 - nothing particularly obvious that rivals it there.

A handful of possibilities in the 00s by the (very brief) looks of it, but a quick scan through of the 90s didn't show much that I would expect has a chance of winning.

15. George

Trusted Prestigious

Terrorizers is such a puzzling film, really mulled it over in my head for weeks after seeing it. The close up image of the collaged photos of the woman blowing in the breeze (I'm describing that rubbish, but it's the famous image from the film) is so striking.

I am also surprised that the actress who played her, never appeared in anything other than Terrorizers. She was incredibly photogenic and captivating in that.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Beau Travail in 99?

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Come and See also for 85. There's some good ones in there but I don't see any topping it. Maybe the Breakfast Club?

SpyKi likes this.
  18. username

hey you lil piss baby

99 is kind of stacked for American cinema. Would be nice but you’ve got Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia, Fight Club, Being John Malkovich, Toy Story 2, The Insider, The Virgin Suicides, The Blair Witch Project, The Matrix (I’ll stop now but there’s even more than this lol)

SpyKi likes this.
  19. George

Trusted Prestigious

I bet Back to the Future wins in 85.

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Stacked with 3s out of 5s! (I still have not seen Eyes Wide Shut or The Insider)

Ah I forgot about that one.

21. username

hey you lil piss baby

Trust me, I'm not endorsing all of those films lol. But they're likely to be popular. Eyes Wide Shut and The Insider are the best two there though so quit sleeping.

OhTheWater likes this.
  22. Nathan

It’s more that more people have seen the American films those years than everyone thinks the American films are better

23. Nathan

and yes those two films are v important to me. Insider might be my favorite Mann!

username likes this.
  24. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Tbf, the people voting on these lists have had more obscure taste (sometimes) than I was expecting. El Topo winning a year is wild, and Days of Heaven beating out a more popular film like Halloween was interesting.

EDIT:
    Also, though, more people will probably be voting in the 80s-00s than the 70s

Fronnyfron likes this.
  25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Came down to Jaws or Apocalypse Now for me, went with Jaws

secretsociety92 likes this.